Reviews for Cracked Open Head
Levity chapter 1 . 6/19/2008
Okay so I'd like to say, I love this in some way I never thought I'd love a fic before. In reality, I've read this about two and a half times and I haven't reviewed it yet.

But omg Meelu you are such a great writer and I've got so much to learn compared to you ;w;

So far, this is one of my favorite fics of yours. I thought I favorited this already but apparently I didn't. I swear I have an attention problem or something lol.

... I've recently noticed that I tend to fall in love with things that don't make sense. I find it so interesting.
Secondhand Thoughts chapter 1 . 11/28/2007
Is it strange that the very last bit - that scrambled poemsong garble - was my favorite part?
Aquatic-Idealist chapter 1 . 9/21/2007
Wow. Indeed, you have portrayed the character's emotions quite well. Someone like you ought to be making individual works and pursuing a career as a writer, not wasting your talents on sites like these, on fics that might end up fetching a copyright infringement if they were published.

But then again, maybe these are just warm-ups for you. If they are, then I shudder at the thought that a novice like me has a long way to go before becoming a writer as great as you. But I won't stop trying, that's for sure!

Nonetheless, excellent work!
Out of the Orange chapter 1 . 6/13/2007
I must admit that when I first tried reading this a while back, it was rather over my head (I think it didn't help that I rarely pay any attention to anything I read on a first go-round). I sort of ditched in the middle and forgot about it for a while.

So I was surprised that, when I went back and re-read it- carefully, this time - I found myself liking this a lot. It's... very moving, in a different way from "Orange and the Duke" but with its own power (though that one is still my favorite out of everything I've seen of yours). It was, well, I don't know how to describe the feeling it gives off other than just really, really *nice*. As a writer you just seem to have this incredible understanding of and empathy for the characters you explore. I especially like the way you create such a tangible feel of the bonds between the characters, like the love of a mother for her son and vice versa.

As usual, I have no idea if any of what I just said made any sense whatsoever. But anyway, I love watching the way you progress as a writer and hope to keep on seeing more of your works.

PS: The way the lullabies are mishmashed at the end is lovely. They make this bizarre and touching sort of sense, somehow.
Writer Awakened chapter 1 . 4/15/2007
Uh, I really don't know how to review this. I liked it, though! I think? To be honest, I don't really know whether I "liked it" liked it or not. I think I did like it, though, just because of the fact that if I didn't know exactly what the hell was going on, then it's probably a pretty good portrayal of someone incoherent who just got his head smashed up. Damn, though. You weren't kidding when you said this story was f'd up. That's cool though, I'm a big fan of wierd. Lemme see here:

At first I thought part of the style was the occasional weird grammar and smushed words, and it probably is. There were a few places that could have used commas and a few places that could have used quotation marks, but I assume that was part of the effect, so I dunno. Also, "“When you where all feverish,” Mist said", should probably be "were", which I don't think was intentional, but then again, I'm crazy, so...XD.

I liked how the two different timelines were merged in the storytelling and told out of order, and I liked the parallels between the events of the two stories. I also liked all the little things at the beginning and then the end that sorta tied the story together (e.g. the whatever-thing on Elena's back, the songs, Ike gettin' some, etc.). It makes the story feel whole, I think. And although it does defeat the purpose, I still wish it made a tiny bit more sense. Or maybe if it was broken up into smaller paragraphs.

Overall, I did like it. I've always been a fan of your work (whether it makes any sense or not XD) and I did enjoy this one, even if I did come out of it feeling a little trippy.
tonotsay chapter 1 . 3/15/2007
Bravo, bravo! Damn you write a lot. O_o.
Vestrwald chapter 1 . 3/14/2007
Well, that was certainly an interesting read. It was somewhat difficult to read, much like your last Paths of Radiance tale, but it was nice to see Ike speak with his mother. I do hope that you would give something more lucid next time you write for Tallius, though. I am a fan of lucid, for some odd reason.