Reviews for The Power He Knows Not
HoneyBear84 chapter 1 . 3/16
Love it
Guest chapter 1 . 12/27/2022
This is a lovely, wonderful story, albeit short! I could see it as a base for so many fics. That was an intriguing way to destroy Voldie, and save so many lives, in one fell swoop. And Harry didn't even mean to do that - which makes it even better!
Guest chapter 1 . 6/11/2022
Satisfying. I respect your decision to not make this a full length fic, you’ve got a beautiful look-in here on this world and I’m quite happy with where you ended it. Marvellously done. Thanks for writing
guest chapter 1 . 8/27/2021
I second all your comments and greatly enjoyed the thoughts they generated. If HP could feel for TMR, he could do for Snape.

One of the ubiquitous strategic (as opposed to moral) errors that puzzled me in canon was virtually every adult's aim to ~beat~ those who differed from him in almost any way. There was almost no attempt on anyone's part even to consider, let alone promote, anything like a win-win result in any situation. If no one else, any adult Slytherin should have thought of it at least as an interim tactic.
gginsc chapter 1 . 1/21/2020
I wish you (or someone) would write more of this. I loved it.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/22/2019
I really wish your writing-soul had been more into this story because the sequel would have been AMAZING. Great job!

*I don't like the fics where Albus gets off too easily by either dying ""young"" (read: too soon) or whatever. I like it when he truly has to see "what he hath wrought"/etc.
HarryPotterFangirl85 chapter 2 . 12/27/2018
Great!
riverrat1 chapter 1 . 9/14/2018
I think you portrayed Severus's Slytherin side perfectly.
This was a great story. Interesting way to use the part about how to kill Voldemort with kindness.
Yep, Dumbles doesn't know everything...
kv74 chapter 1 . 6/5/2018
Thank you!
mrsMxyzptlk chapter 1 . 4/13/2017
This was a really great story. I've long been disturbed by the similarity in Tom's and Harry's upbringing and the way Dumbledore treated Tom as a child. It makes a lot of sense that Harry would make that connection, too. Harry's letter was brilliantly done. I especially like this part near the end:

"I don't agree with you, but I can understand, somewhat, why you do what you do, and because of that I no longer hate you."

This come off very much like Ender Wiggin with the Buggers in Ender's Game. The Buggers were such an overwhelming enemy that in order to defeat them, Ender needed to know them so well that he ended up understanding them completely, and therefore loving them. I don't think I've seen a story before that really captures this attitude with Harry. Most stories I've read where Harry comes to understand Voldemort have him end up turning dark. It's refreshing to see another take.

Severus at the end reminds me of Villefort from The Count of Monte Cristo in the way that he manages to stay on top regardless of which regime is in power. Maybe Severus isn't quite as amoral as Villefort in his pursuit of power and favor with the current regime, as Severus seems to genuinely be glad that Voldemort is gone, but regardless of whether Voldemort, Dumbledore, or Harry were to end up as the leader of their society, Snape has put himself into a strong position. (I'm assuming things continue on as in your post-script.)

All in all, well done. I have thoroughly enjoyed this story.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/2/2017
i like your stories alot ( well the half or so I've read but I expect I'll like them all). but I really like your description of harry as a " contrary porcupine" as a possibility at note at the end of this. for two words it gave me a very clear image and a rather funny one at that.
Gorgonbones chapter 1 . 12/16/2016
Ha, ha! I found this again! And you! This was one of my favorite vanquished Voldemort HP fanfics I've ever read. (along with your veela story but I'll comment there once I've re-read it) It certainly made me reconsider the standard approach to the whole "good vs evil" conflict archetypes back when I first read it. Thank you. :)
Guest chapter 1 . 1/2/2016
Very unique and clever. I love it!
Guest chapter 1 . 11/10/2015
A very interesting idea and story.

I also agree with his view of Dumbledore. It seems like Dumbledore did (almost) his best to make sure that Harry's childhood as bad as Riddle's, yet for some reason expected or hoped for a different result. The "almost" because Harry was placed with his relatives, whether it was better or worse than an orphanage is the question. We can hope that an orphanage in 1981 was better than the one Riddle grew up, I certainly hope that they don't place the children in cupboards. And who knows whether the bullying would have been worse than Dudley's gang.

Regarding Snape and Draco, in the books they don't really show their Slytherin side. The most cunning Draco says is "When my father hears this", and the greatest ambition of Crabbe and Goyle is to speak two sentences in a row.

When Draco first met Harry at the clothes shop, he could have at least been polite to the boy who later turned out to be Harry. Even if he considers purebloods better it is not cunning to insult people. There may come a time when he would like their help and they may reject because of his childish behavior.
So imagine a polite (not even necessarily friendly) first meeting in the clothes shop. Then in the train Draco doesn't insult Ron (wrong people, Weasleys are poor) but treats him at least neutral. Ron on the other hand insults Draco (slimy snake). Harry would likely have ended up in Slytherin and maybe a friend of Draco.

As for Snape, he knew at least the first part of the prophecy. Either he believes that Voldemort will win, in that case he shouldn't work for Dumbledore. If he believes that Voldemort will loose, then he knows that Harry is prophesied to be the one to vanquish him, so it would just make sense to get on his good side. Snape is good enough at Occlumency to keep his emotions under control near Voldemort, he should manage the same near Harry. To behave the way he does is not cunning, it is stupid.

So if these Slytherins had any of their supposed cunning, Harry would probably have ended in Slytherin with Snape as a mentor and Dumbledore with a coronary.

Also, Harry was supposed to have enough cunning to go to Slytherin, but after being sorted into Gryffindore it seems all this cunning left him.
Saint Snape chapter 1 . 12/5/2014
Unique premise of getting rid of Voldermort. Since I've never been a huge fan of Dumbledore I could see how Harry would abandon him. I never felt like he was much of a mentor anyway or the really cared about Harry. He gave lip service to the idea of love but I don't think he ever really knew what it was. I love the idea of Severus being his mentor. As a Slytherin he would seek out someone who could further his career and challenge him. And I think Harry would do that if only to challenge his sanity and patience. :)