Reviews for Magical Relations
G chapter 20 . 12/8/2008
Students are only allowed to go home during the christmas brake, assuming something serious doesn't happen to their family, why do people insist on adding a second trip home?

I think things are going a bit too smoothly for Harry and his friends. I hope at least one of them dies at some point. If only to keep with the somewhat realistic feel to it all. Seriously, people have such a hard time to kill off someone that the main character cares about even a little, unless it's canon that they die, it's sad really.
G chapter 19 . 12/8/2008
A not retarded gigantic basilisk. That's surprisingly uncommon.
G chapter 18 . 12/8/2008
Awesome twist.
G chapter 17 . 12/8/2008
Personally I think that, while learnable, it would probably be one of the most difficult languages to learn in the world. It's an almost purely magical language, seeing as snakes don't actually hear things as far as I know. Snakes feel trembles in the ground, see movement and catch the scent with their tounges. Learning the language would be like learning charms or transfiguration, only harder since there is no outside help to focus their magic. JK failed in this respect, though that was probably more to do with her lack of knowledge when it comes to snakes and a convinient plot point than anything else. Following this I think it was much to easy for Anthony to pick up even two words. This isn't English or German you know..
G chapter 15 . 12/8/2008
"As long as he‘s eating, sleeping, and doing his homework.." Typical Hermione. It was a very amusing.

The characterisation of Pansy in this fic is probably the best I've seen. Canon didn't show much of her.
G chapter 14 . 12/8/2008
You gave the Horcrux to Dudley? You really needen't have made someone close to Harry carry it for Harry to go to the Chamber. When his head of house would tell him they'll shut down the school Harry'll catch the perp by his own anyway.

Why would bodyguards for a twelve-year-old be odd? There are infants with personal body guards. I suppose the comment fits with Hermione's character though.

The fact that you have everyone calling Crabbe and Goyle by their names is annoying, especially seing as you can't be bothered to use their full names. Vincent and Gregory. You should've just stuck with canon here and had everyone call them by family name, not all change is good change.
G chapter 12 . 12/7/2008
"Harry had a moment to wonder if he’d stepped into a parallel universe where everyone was bizarrely nice to him.." It would've been amusing if you had included a mention of Anthony perhaps having tried the experiment on him after all.

Well, that's year one is finished. I just realised I read seven more chapters than what I had at first intended..
G chapter 11 . 12/7/2008
"The only consolation was that he could tease Draco for playing as the Queen.." Sacrificing, or losing, the queen is actually quite normal in a game above beginner-level. It would be much safer to use a knight, bishop or a tower. Just wanted to point it out, though it matters less than JK for some reason thinking that not putting one of the three in the king spot was a good idea.

Why didn't Dumbledore do anything about the stone? He obviously must have some way to discover if someone penetrates the defences. Perhaps some sort of spell to tell him if the trap door was opened?

What exams were they taking in this chapter? Not the end of the year exams. Because if it was then they'd have no more classes.

Great chapter. I half expected that the Philosopher's Stone was going to be gone from Draco's trunk.
G chapter 9 . 12/7/2008
Poor Hedwig..
G chapter 8 . 12/7/2008
"..the Dark Lord returns it‘ll get him brownie points.." Draco of all people saying something like "brownie points"? I feel the need to ask what the h'ell you were on when you wrote that.

"..like the room that reflected the sky, just like the Great Hall only smaller.." Are you referring to the room Firenze used as a teacher? It was some time before I read OotP, but wasn't that sky created for Firenze so that he wouldn't have to bother with the stairs? If it wasn't that room you meant, who cares, it's a cool room with the sky as its ceiling.

Great chapter.
G chapter 6 . 12/7/2008
Great characterisation, if a bit too happy and accepting. I'm looking forward to when Harry finds out he's got a small fortune stashed away.
G chapter 4 . 12/7/2008
"And Quidditch is a sport, kind of like football, only nothing like it." Hagrid mentioned that as Quidditch, like football, is followed by most people. Not that they are in anyway similar besides there being a ball that is going into a goal that someone is trying to protect. I can't really see Hermione using that kind of comment without actually saying 'why' it is like football.

I just assumed that Dudley was going to Gryffindor as soon as I read that he was a wizard. When you think about it Gryffindor, not Hufflepuff like most think, is the house that people get dumped in if they don't have any real qualities. Just look at Ron, he's a lazy turncoat and coward who's good at chess..

Good chapter.
G chapter 3 . 12/7/2008
Great so far. Not counting the minor things in the last chapter.
G chapter 2 . 12/7/2008
Near the end you mentioned Malfoy and Zabini twice for some odd reason.

The way you ended the chapter made me doubt the interest I'd have in the rest of the story. If you are using the movies, mostly or only, I really doubt I'd enjoy this fic. I managed to watch the first two easily enough, though the Chamber of Secrets part of the second movie filled me disbelief. The third I only manage to watch if I consider it a parody of sorts. The fourth.. I didn't manage at all to watch it. I didn't want to either when I tried to get interest by watching a few of the scene's I had been interested enough in watching to actually borrow the movie. The ressurection part was just sad and the "Hungarian Horntail" was ripped off from that movie which takes place in London or something where dragons has taken over the world. I never remember the name to that movie. I tried to watch the fifth one just this week, mainly because I wanted to see just how bad the Ministry part of the movie was. I was mildly disappointed, which says a lot about it since I thought it was going to be really bad from the beginning. Probably the worst part was when Bellatrix used the Killing Curse on Sirius, whom for some reason was more pathetic than even canon. The same-coloured/same-effect spells had me staring blankly at the screen.

The movies have become Harry Potter in name only. Arguably since the second (or perhaps first) movie.

I hope that conveys some of what think of the movies. I could go on for hours, for several pages on everything I don't like about the movies. As far as I've watched them. Hopefully that won't become an issue with this fic. Even though the mention of the scarf and tie really makes it seem that way.

"..living with a Theo Nott, a Greg Goyle, and a Vincent Crabbe." It's Theodore Nott and Gregory Goyle. I hope you're aware of this and it was all intentional.
G chapter 1 . 12/7/2008
I will admit to almost disregard this story completely only because of the mention of Dudley in any kind of positive light. I am, so far, glad that I did read it. There are no things that don't fit in, that I noticed, and that is actually pretty rare. If only because I apparently think differently than some.
4,917 | « Prev Page 1 .. 253 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 273 .. Last Next »