Reviews for Presence of the Predator
Hidden Relevance chapter 1 . 6/4/2011
Oh holy this is absolutely incredible. I mean seriously, from Hick's character being spot on, to the feel of the other 2 marines and the very brief backstory we get about why they're hunting it the first place. It all just seams together brilliantly. I would have liked to get more glimpses of Ellen and/or Newt, but considering the situation, it did make more sense that Hicks would be focused almost solely on the hunt itself. Just really really well done!
TheSummoningDark chapter 1 . 9/2/2009
Holy hell, that was INCREDIBLE. I want to leave a better comment than that, but seriously, I don't even have the words. Amazing!
Dwimordene chapter 1 . 8/23/2008
Did you just kill Hicks *again*?

Enjoyable romp through dark and disgusting places. The Alien retains all its vicious cunning, and WY remains the heartless corporate concern it proved itself to be. It's very interesting to see you in a more sci-fi/techno style of writing and dialogue after all the LOTR stories.
littledano chapter 1 . 2/1/2006
Excellent! The fact that English is not your 1st language makes this brilliant. Although you wrote this years ago I have only just discovered this Fanfic.

If anyone hasn't read this its a must! 10/10
jack chapter 1 . 5/5/2004
good good good!
well writen and a great storyline write more and you will have at least one reader!
Johnny Tai chapter 1 . 4/22/2004
Beautiful. A short, but very welldone story!
zerofreedom chapter 1 . 4/10/2004
that was one awesome story.
it was like the movie, always keeping me on the edge of my seat.
Warrior of Virtue chapter 1 . 12/17/2003
Cool.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/2/2002
Very tense stuff and utterly, utterly brilliant! Near perfect English too, which is more than I can say for my few words of German!

Keep 'em coming!
Kyoko chapter 1 . 4/20/2002
Jeez Katzilla, are you sure this was your first story where you used english. I didn't find anything really wrong with it. It's just wonderful what you wrote. Very suspenceful indeed, just like the mood of the first alien movie. Thank you for writing such a good story!
Cpl. Hicks chapter 1 . 3/22/2002
I think the author does an OUTSTANDING job in pacing and description. It creates a dark and very grim atmosphere filled with tension and hoplessness. I just fell in LOVE with the beginning where the author introduces the soldiers coming into the scene. "Steps. Heavy boots on treated stone." Holy smokes, her use of words and short sentences are truly inspiring. From all the alien stories I have read, none of them have concentrated the use of desciption.

The fact that the author concentrates on primal fear than the typical action stuff we are used to seeing in other Alien stories reminds me of the first Alien movie. And let me say, like the movie, this story is an instant classic. Fear replaces action in the beginning and middle events where we just KNOW something terrible is going to happen. But when Hicks hunts this cunning predator down, we see action replacing fear. As a result, from the beginning to the end, we are kept at the edge of seats.

In some ways, we become impatient. The pacing is steady, not fast. Unforgiving. We want this TORTURE to stop, we want the writer to give it to us already, maybe because we're so used to over-used, fast-paced stories where the writer gives us the conclusion in the next paragrapgh or two. Not this writer! This writer prolongs the inevitable! She takes several pages to describe the tension, forcing the conclusion to SLOWLY and gruesomly build. We want it to end but at the same time, we keep begging for more!

The characterization is jsut as good. Fans of the Sulaco marines will feel right about home with the marines in this story. Their tough, mean and lean fighting machines. The words the author chooses for them are well chosen, making them three dimensional and as real as you can get. The military "grunt talk" the author uses also creates the illusion that these characters are actually REAL soldiers dealing with a REAL situation. Duncan... Steeler... Hicks... every one of them stands out. And of course, one of the main spotlights is the Hicks character, himself. She doesn't make him soft or too tough for his own good. He's calm. Content. He is SO MUCH like the Hicks in "Aliens".

Finally, the plot itself was wonderful. While I won't spoil it for people who haven't read this story yet (and really, what are you thinking?), it definitely is an excellant cross between "Alien" and "Aliens" together. The pacing is like "Alien" and the action and characters are like "Aliens".

Overall, if you are a true fan of either film of the franchise, I suggest to read this fic! It's awesome! For those who have read it, then re-read it! Observe how well this author carries out characterization, pacing, and plot. It's truly a breathtaking experience. :-D
Chemically Hyper chapter 1 . 2/15/2002
That story was hot! I really liked that fact that Hicks was still alive cuz he was my fav character and they killed him off!grrr... Great story though!
Gary Bemont chapter 1 . 12/12/2001
I must say that this is by far, one of the best fan fics i've ever read..
ChaosEffect chapter 1 . 9/8/2001
Really sweet.
The Author chapter 1 . 7/26/2001
Okay, I just thought I better clear this up: While I left the ending open for interpretation intentionally, I just want to say that he *might* not be dead... he could just as well have simply passed out and kick some alien-butt in the next story... :-)