Reviews for Reasons Why
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 8/9/2013
Oh this is soooooo emotionally charged from start to finish. Wow. It took so long to get through this because I was starting to choke up. The words here... fantastic. Just what needed to be said. Even though it's the hardest thing to say and the hardest thing to hear. And seeing Dean's reaction through this whole thing... making sure he doesn't give the same worthless pep-talk that John gave him. And just. Ahhhhhh.
ccase13 chapter 1 . 7/14/2011
This was a good tag to Heart, which is just about the saddest episode except for maybe the one where Dean got killed by the Hellhound.

Dean and to some extent Sam, always want to save people a lot more than they want to kill evil things.
Desertfyre chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
*sniffs* This was beautiful.

It's nice to see the softer side of Dean helping his brother. Absolutely beautiful!
bhoney chapter 1 . 11/30/2008
Aww, this was so heartbreaking, so Dean: "So he gave Sam what he never had, warm, steadying hands wrapping around him, a strong chest to fall upon, a rumbling in his ears of 'You’re going to be alright, Sam. We’ll get through this together.'"

And Dean's speech about why he does what he does really made me tear up. Glad he opened up to Sam, glad Sam found some comfort after Madison.

Your stories should come with a kleenex warning, they always make me cry! :)
Kelcor chapter 1 . 8/2/2008
No apologies necessary! Man, this was beautiful! I truly loved it. Definitely a favourite! :o)
GhostBehindYou chapter 1 . 3/29/2007
-teary- Beautiful.

"Dean drew in a shaking breath, willing to strip his barriers away for Sam, to lessen Sam’s despair, to save Sam today and the days to come."

"It’s not about losing, or even about winning. It’s about love, preserving it, honoring it and saving it."

This is possibly the best tag to Heart I've read. It made me smile and cry at the same time. I don't think a story has ever made me do that before. x
inzane73 chapter 1 . 3/28/2007
Yay! The hug! I knew this episode should have ended in the hug.

Love your portrayal of Dean's motives for doing what they do. It is so clear that it was ever about revenge for him. He does what he does because someone has to do it, has to protect the innocent.

Thanks for giving me the ending I wanted for this episode.

~Inzane
amy jonas chapter 1 . 3/27/2007
Oh wow! This was a truley amazing tag to Heart. Dean's words were so beautiful and heart felt in the face of of everything they are trying to protect. and of course ...the hug that everyone wants to happen. It just felt so right.

thanks for sharing

amy
Lady FoxFire chapter 1 . 3/27/2007
You need to add a kleenex warning to this fic
Zadrak chapter 1 . 3/27/2007
oh sweetheart... the bit where Dean's saying he's broken... *tears up* You got me going all over again. As if that episode wasn't bad enough.

*sobs*

(Great Job man!)

xZx
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 3/27/2007
Well, I hope your "personal therapy session" helped because that was a fabulous story! So insightful and intense! Absolutely wonderful. You captured Dean - you really grasped what he is all about (at least in my mind). You expressed in such a poignant way, his own desperate need to make his harsh life bearable.

"It’s what I want for them…what I wanted for you…not this, never this.”

I feel just as bad for Dean - it's hard to see your "child" be beat down by life -you only want them to have happiness, fulfillment... love. And when something happens to stop that it tears at your heart.

Wow - I so thoroughly loved this. It's the best characterization of Dean.
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 3/27/2007
As always a lovely story. The episode Heart moved many people. Those last 10 minutes were killer! Still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Now, as a Dean-girl, I SO LOVED how Dean was in this episode. Sam was great, don't get me wrong, tormented by the responsibility yet seeing it through, but everyone is talking about how Jensen just brought Dean to a whole new level of sensitivity and anguish and I have to say, when the camera zoomed in on his face, I held my breath. Just beautiful! I felt your need to express more from this episode in this story and you did a great job!

Fav parts:

Flinching at the gunshot, Dean knew everything he had struggled to preserve he had tainted, not out of lack of love but abundance of it. He had let Sam take his gun, had allowed his baby brother to honor Madison’s request, had stood there, rooted in place because Sam asked him to, his eyes pleading for Dean to not go away but not witness the atrocity he was about to do. And Dean had done it all because he loved Sam too much to do otherwise. - AWESOME!

But he could not let Sam drown like he had, wouldn’t. So he gave Sam what he never had, warm, steadying hands wrapping around him, a strong chest to fall upon, a rumbling in his ears of “You’re going to be alright, Sam. We’ll get through this together.” If it was not hope it was at least forgiveness, compassion, determination. He would not speak of duty, or retribution, or righting wrongs. Those things would mean nothing amid the guilty devastation. Sam had to hold onto Madison’s plea, onto the trust in her eyes that both condemned him and saved him. No, Sam could only save himself by remembering that his actions had saved her in the only way he had. - BEAUTIFUL! And I so see Dean making sure that he treated Sam differently than his father did to him.

Saving Sam had never been black and white to him, not like it had been to their father, had always been about saving Sam’s soul as well as his life. It was ironic that at the end, his father had come to see what could be lost, that it was Sam’s soul that had always been in jeopardy, not to the threat of turning darkside but of shattering and being swept away by the gentlest of winds. - WONDERFUL! It is about Sam's soul in Dean's eyes! Perfect!

He didn’t expect his voice to be so rough when he spoke, so fragile, so vulnerable. “It has to be for something…” he swallowed, felt Sam tense at his side but he didn’t face Sam, couldn’t, could only watch those teenage boys, could only envy them their laughter. “What we do…it has to be for something. I…it wasn’t enough for me….not like it was for Dad.” - Sigh

“I …I loved mom, I did, Sam, but it just wasn’t enough…revenge. It didn’t…” Dean dropped his eyes, stared at his boots, watched as another tear fell unto the leather. “I can’t be put back together Sam, I know that. And I…” here he looked up, met Sam’s teary eyes, saw the blinding pain, the layer of bitter understanding that was there, hadn’t been there before. “I never wanted you to be …broken,” choking on the word, Dean shook his head, wiped absently at the tears and turned back to the game. Gripping unto the fence with both hands, he felt like the pliable metal was the only thing keeping him on his feet.

“I just…I’ve always needed it to be about more…I needed it to be about them.” Dean nodded forward, toward the boys on the field, his eyes drifting to the people in the park. “I have to know what I’m saving, that there are people out there worth saving, worth Dad’s life, my life, that someone’s out there living the life I had a taste of and that they are happy. Have to feel like I’m part of that, part of allowing them that happiness, that blissful ignorance to the worst in this life. I have to believe that what I’ve sacrificed has some kind of meaning. And when I look at those kids, hear them laugh,” nodding to the teenage boys whose wrestling match had intensifying though the football had rolled away, “I feel like …there is still something to fight for, that it hasn’t all been a waste of time, that my soul hasn’t been bartered away for nothing. And this,” pointing to the walking couple, Dean, out of the corner of his eye, caught Sam looking away. “That’s what Madison wanted to protect, what she wouldn’t forfeit, not even for her own life. You said so yourself Sam, hope is the point, hope that there will be happiness and laughter and love maybe not today, maybe not even for yourself but for others, for tomorrow. Hope that when this life ends, there’s the chance for a happy ending. That’s what Madison gave her life for. And maybe it doesn’t seem like enough…” looking back to the boys, Dean swallowed, “but for me, for what I’ve sacrificed, what I’ve lost, it’s all I can cling to, their happiness, their hope, their future. My own….it was gone before I had it Sam, but for them, it’s right there, you know, tangible, present, alive…like yours was at Stanford. It’s what I want for them…what I wanted for you…not this, never this.” - THIS WAS A FANTASTIC MOMENT! And oh so like Dean to put what they do in perspective, in relation to making other people's lives safe and helping Sam to see Madison's sacrifice that way.

Bending his head closer to Sam until he could catch Sam’s eyes, Dean reassured, his voice gentle and convicted as it drifted into Sam’s ear, “You did what she asked of you, Sam. Saved her in the only way you could. And I ….I guess she asked you to save her for the same reason you made me promise to save you.” Sam’s eyes raised to Dean’s, their heads almost touching, their eyes too close to mask anything. Dean drew in a shaking breath, willing to strip his barriers away for Sam, to lessen Sam’s despair, to save Sam today and the days to come. “It’s not about losing, or even about winning. It’s about love, preserving it, honoring it and saving it.”

Sam breath caught and his hand reached up and snaked into Dean’s shirt, anchoring his brother to him. “That’s why you promised me, isn’t it?”

“It’s the only reason, Sam,” Dean wheezed out, wondering how Sam couldn’t know that already, couldn’t read that in his eyes. - OKAY, this moment nearly KILLED me. Fabulous! Dean putting his similar promise to Sam in perspective and having Sam see it.

WONDERFUL JOB! Loved every word.
purehalo chapter 1 . 3/25/2007
Well if i thought the ep broke my heart you just killed it dead!

This was such a beautiful and incredible piece of writing!

Izzy4 chapter 1 . 3/24/2007
Nice insight into Dean. A well written, touching piece. Thanks for sharing.

Izzy
Swasti chapter 1 . 3/24/2007
oh my gosh hon it was beautiful!

i only just watched that episode today and i have to say my heart broke.. for everyone.. poor sam.. he's just so unlucky in love.. and dean too cos there was nothing he could do to spare sam that pain and you could see that he wanted to .. so bad!