Reviews for Tales of The Cosmic War vol 1 A Hero's Evolution
Piccolo Sky chapter 35 . 4/15/2012
Sorry I never got around to reading a chapter yesterday, but I didn't want to fall behind another week so I managed to at least get this one in. Not too much to say this time around. More fighting mostly. Anyway, see you next chapter.
Piccolo Sky chapter 34 . 4/7/2012
It seems these are weaker forms of X, because they obviously don't copy intelligence and memories as well. If they did, this pirate group could have known everything the real deal knew, which would probably be more useful than copies.

I was kind of holding out for a "Renzouko Energy Dan" type move when I noticed the energy bullets deflected... This was something a bit less, but still the same thing essentially.

At least the one bad guy knew the cardinal rule of deaths in stories...unless there's a body, they ain't dead.

While I'm familiar with the original Metroid storyline, I know next to nothing about the "Prime" storyline. I tried playing a demo of it once...got irritated and bored and abandoned it. Metroid was never meant to be a FPS, IMHO. Another example of modern game designers thinking a game is nothing if it doesn't take place in a 3D environment. Pft. At any rate, what that essentially means is I have no idea what Metroid Prime looks like, although I'm familiar with the traditional Metroid life cycle forms (Alpha, Gamma, Zeta, Omega, and Queen). Man...the Queen was tough. Basically there's no way to win that fight unless you manage to time your shots perfectly and have a buttload of missiles. Anywway, enough of that.

Read more soon.
Piccolo Sky chapter 33 . 4/6/2012
I always thought that the Metroid Prime series was something of a "reboot"...but ah well.

The steak thing made me shake my head a little bit. In the words of Ron Weasley, "How thick can you get?"

This may be my admiration for the Metroid series talking, but if I was the bad guys, I wouldn't laugh off X parasites so much. They're essentially like "The Thing", and once they're in you, since they're an infection, you're essentially dead. Added to the fact that they can produce infinite copies of you and absorb your knowledge as well as your powers, and they're pretty damn dangerous. I got the impression from the game that the only reason Samus was able to kill them was because she had become the "living vaccine" of the X parasites. Now, she's essentially the disease to them.

Anyway...good to see you're still improving. Does Ridley really talk like that in the game?
Piccolo Sky chapter 32 . 3/24/2012
...Bulk and Skull? That brings back memories... Sheesh, I think I actually heard their "theme song" running through my head.

A touch of action, but mostly a flashback chapter. Nevertheless...I can't seem to feel but a little unsettled. Ben got his confidence back by beating up a few weaklings who had a proverbial "snowball's chance in hell" against him? That's a little...um...immature, kind of like a troubled kid who beats up younger kids because he can't fight back against an older bully who beats up on him. I mean, sure...he did a "good deed" in the process...but still. Looks like he's got a ways to go from an emotionally mature standpoint and not just a physical/magical one, same as everyone else.
Piccolo Sky chapter 31 . 3/23/2012
Hmm...no, I'd say Ben simply lost the battle and won nothing. You pretty much made Brad right...everything Ben stands for is irrelevant without any power to back it up. And Brad's right, Ben certainly didn't win that fight by any stretch if the imagination. (Besides, didn't Brad blow up the droid in the last chapter?) This is basically the same as saying Son Goku lost the first two Tenkaichi Budokais. He did, but only because of technicalities. He would have won the first if he had been taller than Kamesennin, and he would have one the second if not for a passing truck.

He's your character, but I still think you went a bit OOC at the end. Seeing as Brad is so cocky, I don't think he would have backed down from Myers at the end. I think he would have challenged him next. And he probably would have won, too. I would say there's ways around it...but this story is pretty much a cut and dry raw power thing with no "special attacks", regardless of whether its physical based or magic based. You also didn't explain enough. Apparently, he also has magical powers too.
Piccolo Sky chapter 30 . 3/9/2012
Ah...I see now what you meant by the later chapters being out of sequence. For a moment, I was thinking, "...Did I miss something somewhere?"

I'm definitely seeing an improvement in writing style from the first chapters.
Piccolo Sky chapter 29 . 2/17/2012
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Gloating, egotistical bad guys lecturing the good guys on being overconfident?

I'm afraid I have to say the bad guys constantly running off with their tails in between their legs and yet still being smug enough to think they're somehow the stronger between them and their opponents is getting a bit repetitive. Yeah... How dare the good guys "get the drop on you" by having you be the ones who instigate the fight and then outdoing every last attack you throw at them... :/ Also, you'd think at some point the bad guys would start to realize that their opponents never start off things going all out, and so it's rather dumb of them to think the fight is easy.

You'd also think the good guys would learn not to telegraph all of their moves. Ben might as well have shouted, "I'm about to regain all my power, so you better stop me before I can drink this."

I didn't really see Kira as being all that brutal with the Maverick. After all, these guys have demonstrated that they don't know when to stay down quite clearly, or even when to quit while they're behind. Also, despite the fact that Kira is likely going to become an antagonist at some point, I give him props for using a technique that doesn't rely on brute force to do damage.

Wow...that was pretty insulting of Lisa at the end. She essentially said, "Sorry I keep pushing the date back, but some of us are so important that we can't waste time with people as unimportant as you." Ben is better off alone than with this witch with a "b".
Piccolo Sky chapter 28 . 1/14/2012
Phew...finally read another chapter.

Seems Ben isn't getting the hint that he's going to keep getting blown off... Young people can be so dumb...

Looks like you're mixing the Marvel Universe in now. Not sure how I feel about that. For one thing, the Marvel Universe rivals most of the other "universes" you've included in size and scope, so it would be easy for it to dominate the story. Another thing is, frankly, some of the beings in the Marvel Universe completely outclass a lot of the characters in it already. I doubt even your main villain would be able to do much against, say, Galactus, for example. And other characters like Professor X wouldn't even assault anyone in a way they could defend themselves, since they all go straight for the mind rather than use physical means. Then there's characters like the Hulk, who has no limits to physical power, or Juggernaut, who is literally invincible. I guess I just think it might be a can of worms, but we'll see how it goes.

I do think I uncovered a goof, however... Late in the chapter, it is stated that Ben can't sense the energy of his comrades due to a jamming field. If that is the case, how come Squall was able to sense Cloud fighting?
Doug chapter 68 . 12/24/2011
Been a while since I've read any of this. It's cool to see some added material that expands on James's character, which is something that was lacking entirely in your initial writing of the story. I enjoyed it though.

Good to see some very subtle dialogue of Doug, if you know what I mean. ;)

Anyways, these were enjoyable. TotCW is always a fun read!

Merry Christmas dude!
Piccolo Sky chapter 21 . 12/11/2011
Sorry it's taken me so long to read any more. It's the end of the semester and I kept getting sidetracked. Hopefully, I'll be reading a lot more during this upcoming break.
Piccolo Sky chapter 20 . 11/13/2011
I'm not sure if I missed this or not...but I thought I read earlier that the Star Sword needs eight stones to be at full power. Did he get one from this latest trial? I don't recall that being mentioned...
Piccolo Sky chapter 19 . 11/4/2011
If Nightmare keeps boasting after this when he comes back again (which he undoubtably will), he's going to start sounding like an idiot after being blasted into space twice...

By the way, is this Nightmare the Siegfried Nightmare or the Nightmare that was spawned after Siegfried redeemed himself?
Piccolo Sky chapter 16 . 10/28/2011
I see, being Zelda's world and all, you included a bit with the Cuccos.

Only one thing got me in this chapter that I've been seeing a lot. It's kind of one of the rules in the unwritten book of Anime cliches. Whenever there's a big attack followed by a lot of cast up dust, the opponent always doesn't have a mark on them when it clears. Just a word of caution that it can make things a bit predictable when it gets used frequently.
Piccolo Sky chapter 15 . 10/22/2011
My memory is not too good on Twinrova, but from what I remember they were normally generically evil. If so, I enjoy the fact that they're more comic relief this time around. It's a nice touch. Breaks up the standard villain personalities that have been coming out. I'm guilty of that myself, but it's always nice to get something besides some villain who's generically evil and so overconfident that he/she thinks he/she's the Black Knight from Monty Python.
Piccolo Sky chapter 13 . 10/14/2011
Ok, I've got a beef with how things are going.

You've made it more than clear that Brad is, for lack of a less vulgar term, an a-wipe. We all know about the deficiencies in his character, and so do the characters in the story. Therefore, it seems more logical to me at this point that Ben would start seeing deficiencies in the character of Lacus. If a person is attracted to an a-wipe's personality, that reflects rather poorly on them. Would you think very highly of a person who admired Joseph Stalin, for example?

Therefore, the fact that Ben not only still feels an attraction to Lacus, but actually wants to "stoop to Brad's level" by becoming stronger than him to attract her, shows deficiencies, weakness, and, dare I say, negative traits in his own character. It creates kind of an unsettling feeling when I read about him, knowing deep down he wants to be like some brainless, sadistic ogre.

I'm still going to keep reading when I can. I'm just voicing my thoughts on the story so far.
159 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »