Reviews for Experiment House
rthstewart chapter 4 . 4/28/2012
OH JILL! And Peter Pan! do you believe and all she wants to do is believe and then SPLAT. Maybe the Librarian let her keep it! And "Just imagine if it had been Modern Ways of Understanding Algebra" is a hilarious, wonderful, perfect line that encapsulates all that is most wrong about this place!

Thank you, though I wish it could end on a happier note!
rthstewart chapter 3 . 4/28/2012
Chumlie sounds like something bloody and disgusting fed to sharks. It's great here to see in action the twisted psychology of how the students were able to manipulate the Head of Experiment House. Setting up what you have previously with sensitive, intelligent Jill, it's alwso easy to see what happens to her and why. Goodness what a ghastly place. These children are beastly, the Head incompetent, and I cannot wait for their comeuppance! And poor Spivins!
rthstewart chapter 2 . 4/28/2012
I hate maths. Clive and John? Dying. That's not an accident, is it? Oh Jill. A full scholarship and you shall be so miserable for a time.
rthstewart chapter 1 . 4/28/2012
What a terrible, awful, painful situation. I feel so badly for Jill. You establish her quickly as a girl of modest means, sensitive, observant, and an avid reader. Her classmates are horrid.

Thanks so much.
Smoltenica chapter 4 . 10/12/2010
Oh! Poor Jill! One's heart really does go out to her in this. And you do a marvellous job of portraying Eustace before he went to Narnia and changed.
Smoltenica chapter 3 . 10/12/2010
*tries to work out how Cholmondeley becomes 'Chumlie' but fails*

It's a clever, ironic pun... this chapter was very nicely done. I know you haven't touched on these ficlets for a few years, but they're so well written! And unique, nobody else does them on the Narnia fic side. There are far too many wretched Suspian fics out there following that travesty of an adaptation (if I dare even call it that.)
Smoltenica chapter 2 . 10/12/2010
Oh my, how did I miss this chapter? It's golden. And I do agree with Jill- most maths questions are positively ridiculous. I remember the stupidest question I ever got asked went something like this: "If a bed costs $200, how much is it worth when cut in half?"

My answer was $0 because nobody wants a broken bed. I lost a mark in the test. Still annoyed about that one...

This was marvellous. I love seeing your take on how Jill ended up at Experiment House, and I love how you've fleshed Gladys out :)

Nice work!
LucyCrewe11 chapter 4 . 9/13/2008
Whoa, Eustace was a really meanie before Lucy and Edmund took him to narnia with them. It's a very short chapter but of the ones I've read in the fic, I feel plot wise that this chapter was the most interesting.
LucyCrewe11 chapter 2 . 9/13/2008
It was well written and I like that Jill over thought the math question like that (She was so in the right too) but the story got slightly dull and dragged a bit in the middle of the fic. But other than that it was okay.
LucyCrewe11 chapter 1 . 9/13/2008
I so totally hate bullies. Poor Jill. But um why does the teacher call her Gillian? Isn't her last name "Pole"?

Good story though.
Thessaly chapter 4 . 6/18/2008
"Just imagine if it had been Modern Ways of Understanding Algebra" Snerk. The masters at Experiment House are super.

It's such a great idea, but I'm not quite convinced by Jill: she seems a bit OOC around the edges - or as much as any Lewis character can be OOC (there's so little to go on...). It's nice to think about her as a nerd, but every time I read the Silver Chair, I remember that she's actually cute and blonde and a bit sporty. It's not that your Jill is bad - she's very good - but it's a little distracting to be in the middle of one of the chapters and get caught up by, "wait, that's not the Jill I remember." And didn't Adela Pennyfeather go to Lucy's school, not Jill's? That I really can't remember; I know she gets mentioned, but I forget in what context.

I loved the maths chapter. Cheeky, cheeky little Jill. ;)
chrisfardell chapter 4 . 5/18/2008
This is good, though by the last chapter you appear to moving the timing of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader as well (Judging by Eustace's behaviour)
Macabre-Melody chapter 4 . 2/3/2008
its so sad, but good too!
elecktrum chapter 4 . 6/9/2007
Poor Jill! Scrubb was quite the little beast, wasn't he? It would be interesting to see Experiment House's reaction to him once he spends a summer with his cousins!
Rubber-duckiesofdoom chapter 4 . 6/9/2007