Reviews for Experiment House
Faithfulpurelight chapter 4 . 6/9/2007
another really good chapter. i like this one. poor jill. i feel so bad for her. but Scrubb was awful. i hope he gets better soon. cant wait for more!
Bagge chapter 4 . 6/9/2007
At least, Jill can comfort herself with the knowledge that if any book wouldn't mind being dirty and muddy, that is Peter Pan.

Another well written episode from Experiment House. The jump back and forth in the time-line was well handled. And you paint such a good portrait of the nice and kind Jill that we feel even more sorry for her. Well done.
just a person chapter 4 . 6/9/2007
Awesome story!
Bagge chapter 3 . 5/23/2007
Ah! A marvelous exposé of how blind adults in charge of young people really can be. An "interesting psychological case" indeed. Cholmondeley played his part well - but he didn't really seem afraid for expuslion, with that smirk and all. I dare say he had the headmistress wrapped around his little finger already before this incident - or he had got a good look of her and knew that as soon as she started to blabb about "modern and understanding," he was safe.

The excuse was a wonderful show, and poor Spivvins didn't have any illusion about just what was going on - and what his punishment would be.

Well done - and I dare say there are still more stories to be spun from Experiment house. For one thing, we have that curious incident with the rabbit in the night...
Faithfulpurelight chapter 3 . 5/21/2007
wow thats good. i always wondered what happened at that horrid school. (and i know about horrid schools!)
Rubber-duckiesofdoom chapter 3 . 5/21/2007
Aw :(

I hate Experiment House. BO!

**Duckies
elecktrum chapter 3 . 5/21/2007
My, my, that Cholmondeley is a nasty piece of work. He must be closely related to Vernon Dursley. I enjoyed this chapter because it expalins so much of what I've always suspected about Experiment House: the parents get a song-and-dance routine from the teachers while the poor kids are one step away from hell. The old Eustace might have been able to thrive there but certainly not the new and certainly not Jill.
InkandPaper chapter 3 . 5/21/2007
Hehe, no problem :) I'm really glad you liked the idea!

And nicely written, again...grr, people like Cholmondeley ALWAYS get off the hook!
ilovenarnia chapter 3 . 5/21/2007
excellent job it is well written and leaves the reader wanting more. So please write more!
InkandPaper chapter 2 . 5/8/2007
Oh no, I'm going nowhere near that maths problem! I steer as far away from maths as I can.

Well, this is brilliantly written, all of it; the only suggestion I have to make is that perhaps you should have more narrative breaking up the parts which are (mostly) all dialogue?

I've really liked this so far, it has that great C. S. Lewis-y style :)
Bagge chapter 2 . 5/5/2007
Again, I really, really enjoy how you capture the time this story is set in. Corrugated iron roof, threadbare uniforms, war and soilders. And in the middle of it you paint a very believable and symphatical portrait of Jill.

And you really caught spot on the difference between cleverness and cheek - just depends on from which side you look at it.

Actually, this story reminds me quite a lot of how I wrote Myrtle - another girl in about the same time, that got a scholarship to what, in hindsight, perhaps wasn't such a GOOD school, after all. The irony in the difference between the grown ups expectations, and what we (the readers) know the truth to be, is very well handled.

As for the maths:

128 step a minute, in 160 minutes, equals 20480 steps.

Each step is 2’6 ”. 20480 steps equals 40960', 133120". (I refuse to even try to convert inches to feet).

A foot is 0.3048 m

An inch is 0.0254 m

40960 feet equals 12484,608 m

133120 inches equals 3381,248 m

In 2 hours, 40 minutes, a soilder walks 15.8 km.

As for the conclusion - Jill is dead right. And her mother even more so. Whoever makes these tests, just don't bother.
EstellaB chapter 2 . 5/2/2007
So excellent! I like the lack of chronology... (or maybe it's chronological, and I'm just mad)... anyway, I look forward to seeing more Jill, and maybe a little Eustace too (either before or after Narnia)...

And I won't even attempt the maths.
bec7012 chapter 2 . 4/28/2007
hm. I'm really quite enjoying this story, there aren't enough jill fics out there. :)

For some reason i attempted the maths- and got an answer of a little over 8 1/2 miles. (probably wrong) It's also particularly cruel since it relies on the student haveing the knowledge that there are approximately 5280 feet in a mile (according to google). i really wouldnt like to sit that test - without a calculator as well. Also not really that unrasonable a figure- just a strong walker. lol.

Anway keep up the good story.
Rubber-duckiesofdoom chapter 2 . 4/27/2007
:) I love Jill.

Ugh, but seriously, good intuition... good school, my behind!

meh.

**Duckies
Smoltenica chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
Oh, it's up! Yay!

Your portrayal of what may have happened in Experiment House is rather accurate, I feel, and you've written this very well. Is there going to be more, or is this just a oneshot...? Whatever the case, well done, and this was an enjoyable read!
33 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »