Reviews for Earning an Accolade
Thus Spake The Pancake chapter 1 . 11/22/2014
Very in-depth and nicely written. I also completely agree with you when you say that Eric Stuart delivered that particular line too aggressively-it would have had more of an effect if it was a quiet and simple, drop-the-mic and walk away moment.

Wonderful work.
timewaster123456789 chapter 1 . 11/5/2014
Really liked this though in regards to your notes about the lines delivery: I would contend that Seto intentionally put 'arrogance' behind it so as not to reveal any weaknesses He would fear mokuba being used against him if he was open with his affection.
cuddlykids chapter 2 . 2/19/2014
This is beautiful, it really is. You've really done a great job with Kaiba and his relationship with Mokuba. Kaiba wouldn't bother with Anzu at all because he doesn't need anyone to understand and doesn't expect anyone to understand. He's not looking for recognition, it's just something he does. Well it's all he does really. It's amazing how he has dedicated his life to this and follows through on it, well except Death T is a thing that haunts him. Okay I've started rambling, I'll stop.

On a sidenote though, the "kiddo" bugged me a bit. I'm not sure why. I guess I can't actually imagine Kaiba saying that. /totally irrelevant
Jensti chapter 2 . 2/12/2014
I was just looking back over stories I enjoyed a while back and saw that you had added to it. This second section is fantastic. I love the sharp comebacks and the sense of resignation to being misunderstood. I know it's old now was a story but I also know that it's always nice to get a review. That's for writing something so thoughtful and layered and thanks also for the superb quality of the writing itself.

Jen
Blue-Eyes Rising chapter 2 . 11/11/2013
This is, without a doubt, my favorite work, FanFiction or otherwise, that I have ever read. I'm not even sure where to start. The characterization of Kaiba is incredibly well done. Kaiba's portrayal is, simply put, incredibly rewarding, from the unconditional care that he shows for his brother to the unrivaled power he possesses when dealing with others in daily life. Fleshing out the backstory of the Kaiba brothers was brilliant, and was done almost flawlessly. This is something I can read over and over again, and every time be satisfied. You are by far the best writer of Seto Kaiba that I have ever been fortunate to read, and I hope that as long as you write, you will continue to explore the depths of our favorite teenage CEO and brother. Thank you.
Asakajou chapter 1 . 7/6/2013
Well. This story is very good.
I've always liked a story from Seto's prespective.

In any case if you're wondering what Seto said in the original anime. He didn't say anything at all.
He just stares at Anzu angrily (probably because she doesn't understand that he does these things for Mokuba and he doesn't have any other choices) then walks away silently.

I'll go read the second chapter then.
futureauthor13 chapter 2 . 6/11/2013
Such a fantastic character study. As for the parts of it that were more sstory focused, everything felt perfectly in character for Seto, as well as Mokuba. The little debate between Seto and Tea also seemed very realistic and very well written. I don't really have too much of a problem with Tea (I don't find her as annoying as other fans do, and if she was a bit less judgemental and if she added a bit more to the plot, I could see her being a strong but motherly type of female character, similar to Katara from Avatar the last airbender anime) but I was definitely annoyed by her in this story. I guess it goes to show that one person may look like something to you, and may look like something completely different in another character's point of view, like Seto or Mokuba's. Anyway, I wanted to write this review (typing this on my phone) to say how much I rreally enjoyed this. Great read :)
Lady Fai chapter 2 . 3/10/2013
Thank you for writing such an eloquent story about the love that Seto has for Mokuba.

I don't remember if I had mentioned it in any of my reviews to your other stories, but I would like to thank you for helping me view Seto Kiba in another light. After reading some of your stories, I fell in love with his character. Thank you so much!

I really admire how much you are able to stick to his character while shedding some light on (to me) some of his more obscure aspects. And his interactions with other characters. And when you are guessing at some of his beliefs.
Prophet Lexicon chapter 2 . 6/17/2012
This is gorgeous...there's nothing I can tell you to improve this. It's perfect. You've got Kaiba's character down so well, it's like...holy crap I wonder if you write his character as well as or better than the original manga-ka. It's just amazing. (And when he was playing the piano, I was imagining a classical music piece by Mozart, I think. Didn't see your note 'til the end.)

You deserve major, major props. Please, PLEASE keep writing.

Prophet Lexicon from the Lunaescence Archives
ChimericKat chapter 2 . 6/15/2012
I just read both parts of this, and I absolutely loved it. I love reading fanfiction that centers only on Kaiba, but it's definitely not easy to find.

It's also hard to find something that captures the essence of his character as well as this did. I don't agree 100% with the backstory with his parents and his reaction to Mokuba's birth, but that really doesn't matter since it's all headcanon anyway.

The line in the anime, "I have everything I need," has always been one of my favorite moments for Kaiba. I loved what you did with it, and I agree every single bit with Kaiba's emotions about his brother.

His interactions with Yugi and Co. in the second part, and his thoughts about them, were also enjoyable. I especially liked the debate with Anzu. I think Kaiba would react that strongly and in exactly that way.

This was just a beautiful piece. Really.
Die Einzelganger chapter 1 . 3/22/2012
I have read this story long ago, and it is still on my mind, so it's only fair to tell you that I really loved it.

The only thing that was hard to wrap around was the last name you gave for Seto and Mokuba. (I'm sure someone has pointed the intertextual connotations and it really isn't my aim to dwell on it, because it is a nice choice regardless.) Everything else was lovely to read, full of heart and soul. I felt with it, I found it logical, plausible and very human, and it was one of the most rewarding interpretations of young Seto I ever had the pleasure of reading. I love your explanation of why Seto anticipates Mokuba's birth so much. I love little Seto's method of testing prospective adoptive parents. I was happy with your ambiguous treatment of how the chess match was won, and I felt for the parents you had created.

Also, the way Téa and the others had criticized Kaiba at every turn for having no friends always bothered me - the way they wouldn't acknowledge that Seto had put great effort into his relationship with Mokuba, who IS his best friend. This is probably why this story spoke to me even more. I'm glad that this injustice was adressed.

So I would like to thank you for giving me something that has lasted for months in my heart, a story that I could recall chapter by chapter effortlessly after a single read, and an interpretation of Kaiba I could get behind. It was lovely.

Take care.
TrisakAminawn chapter 2 . 2/14/2012
Nice scenario. Illness. Though I find it impossible to believe that the Kaibas take the time to keep their own house clean, rather than hiring domestics, for the sake of privacy. In their tax bracket, that's more or less synonymous with 'raging paranoia,' and then there'd be guards all around the place and other means of exerting control in, for example, a kidnapping situation. Heh.

I'm pretty sure composition is as much a profession now as ever. Except there's more market for it, what with all the soundtracks to be recorded compared to the tiny number of orchestras baroque Europe actually contained.

Piano thing very cute. Equivalency exams are something Seto could look into, even in America, but that's canon's fault.

Huh. Look at that. Seto is arguing that a negligent homicide is full-on murder. What are the odds. Although apparently that only applies to people you're responsible for, not strangers you kidnap. At least he has a moral system, although I think outsiders could be forgiven for finding it incoherent.

Loved the 'vice-president' moment.

Find caricatures tiresome. At least you didn't have Yugi be actively malevolent.
TrisakAminawn chapter 1 . 2/14/2012
Hmn. I'm not all that clear on what made it into the anime, but I wasn't aware Tea had any reason to believe Seto cared about Mokuba or was motivated by anything other than pride. And, y'know, while the manga stuff may not have happened in this continuity, it had unavoidable ripple affects on cast dynamics for the whole franchise.

I was pretty sure he kidnapped and robbed Solomon and then did not provide him with medical care when he had a heart attack? If the man had died, even after Yugi and company turned up and did get him to the hospital, charges could be fairly brought against Seto for negligent homicide. Never mind the whole kidnapping and theft thing. Maybe 4Kids recut that into something with fewer crimes or something?

I /know/ he demonstrated a disturbing lack of human decency response to the medical problem, whatever it was, because I've seen the clips and it would take a lot of visual recutting rather than just new dialogue to wipe out that nastiness, which is of course going to be Anzu's dominant impression of the guy, apart from whatever vibe he gives off when he (for whatever reason) attends school. Which actually makes more sense with the setting moved to America; high school's actually mandatory here.

The dub-continuity-means-we're-in-America thing was hard to adjust to, especially because if they were born and raised in America I don't think Seto would ever consider giving his identity as 'Yagami Seto.' (Also, seriously? Is it the same bizarre spelling as Light's, too? Considering the resemblances, it seems like you're throwing in a subliminal hint that they're blood relations. Which could be fun.) Also noted with puzzlement that the 'smart Asian factor' apparently didn't come up.

And if you're going to clumsily lampshade the canon cliches and discuss cliche in these terms, try to use a few fewer yourself? At least the sloppy ones? The picked-on-at-school-for-being-smart business is reasonable enough, although since you wrote him as always being a predatory personality type rather than learning it under Gozaburo the odds go down, but that's not the problem. The problem would be the fact that you took the time to describe it, but no part of that description contained anything original, and almost nothing strictly relevant to the adult Seto.

I liked the work with the mom, and I actually like the framing device, despite my complaints about partisanship.

I'm fond enough of Seto and his codependent relationship with his brother, although I find the storyline of him rediscovering/remembering that he cares as he rebuilds his shattered heart much more interesting on several levels, as well as more impressive. Little mind-Seto on his knees, fitting pieces together? Precious. Seto waking out of his coma and pulling off the most physically badass feats of the entire series to save his company and the brother who doesn't know whether he cares? Epic. Heh.

...Ryuuken messes with Uryuu's head way too much. It's a problem with the whole setting. The people the main characters should be able to rely on lie to them barefacedly and constantly. I didn't think Seto, especially without his death-of-the-heart-phase, went in much for lying to Mokuba, avoiding him, refusing to support him, and toying with his feelings, even for his own good.

It is a setting with no good parents whatsoever, where apparently the best you can hope for in parenting is an older sibling who won't screw everything up too badly. (Not that Rukia manages to get one of thsoe either time.) There's something in Bleach for Mokuba to identify with. Heh. "Do you know why older siblings are born first? It's so they'll be old enough to take care of the little ones who come after them!" Ichigo's causality fail seems way more relevant than anything Ishida.

I'm just rambling in a critical tone now. Hm. What else did I like? Seto's analysis of Gozaburo, and the bit about his private office. That was good. The designations 'Potential Mother' and 'Potential Father' were amusing. Mokuba was persuasively cute. The idea that as a small child Seto did the housework with terrifying precision was neat. Okay, I'm done. May read the second chapter.
Guptanation chapter 2 . 2/21/2011
wow, i absolutely loved this story. It's nice to read a story told from Kaiba's perspective, particularly with regards to the irony and hypocrisy behind the way Yugi's group typically treats him. I especially loved the way you emphasized the fact that they quite simply just don't understand. And likely never really will. Reminds me a little bit of one of your other stories, "Consequence", in that while others may act like they do, or they may try to understand what Mokuba was going through there, they simply don't... and never will. Because they haven't been through that situation, and can't truly comprehend it.
Denvana chapter 2 . 12/18/2010
Amazing. Utterly amazing. I keep reading your story over and over again. I can't seem to get enough of it. :)

It would be awesome if you did a third part! I'll be keeping an eye out for sure.

Your stary is very well written. :D

You are a very talented writer. I haven't read such a well-written story in a while now.

Kepp up the awesome work. ;)

~Denvana~