Reviews for Earning an Accolade
Ruby of Raven chapter 2 . 6/7
Yay! XD
I love when people explore just how lost Yugi and his friends really an be in trying to figure out how Kaiba works.
Good job with this!
Dexandra chapter 2 . 5/26
Every time I read one of your stories I am always left in awe. Everything about this was seemingly perfect. The topics covered, Kaiba's characterization, that brilliant discussion with Tea, everything.
You write the story of the Kaiba brothers more fluently than any other author I've read so far, and while I drown myself in angst ridden fics that present the two displaced from one another or going their separate ways with various degrees of callousness, it's stories like these that give me comfort, and even hope for them both.
Another thing I personally found brilliant was the way you meshed the dub and the Japanese version as seamlessly as possible. The way you described having been mainly influenced by the dub while also pressing the importance of their more meaningful interactions in the Japanese anime (the way you used 'niisama' was beautiful here) is remarkably similar to how I view the Yu-Gi-OH series, and my own exposure to it, and it certainly made this story even more brilliant in my eyes.
(While the dub does have it's flaws, one thing I adored was Kaiba's use of the word "kiddo", and I'm really glad you included it here.)
Keep up the good work! No matter how late you feel it is, your writing is brilliant and I have yet to see you fail to deliver!
ebonypol chapter 1 . 12/18/2015
loved it
Thus Spake The Pancake chapter 1 . 11/22/2014
Very in-depth and nicely written. I also completely agree with you when you say that Eric Stuart delivered that particular line too aggressively-it would have had more of an effect if it was a quiet and simple, drop-the-mic and walk away moment.

Wonderful work.
timewaster123456789 chapter 1 . 11/5/2014
Really liked this though in regards to your notes about the lines delivery: I would contend that Seto intentionally put 'arrogance' behind it so as not to reveal any weaknesses He would fear mokuba being used against him if he was open with his affection.
cuddlykids chapter 2 . 2/19/2014
This is beautiful, it really is. You've really done a great job with Kaiba and his relationship with Mokuba. Kaiba wouldn't bother with Anzu at all because he doesn't need anyone to understand and doesn't expect anyone to understand. He's not looking for recognition, it's just something he does. Well it's all he does really. It's amazing how he has dedicated his life to this and follows through on it, well except Death T is a thing that haunts him. Okay I've started rambling, I'll stop.

On a sidenote though, the "kiddo" bugged me a bit. I'm not sure why. I guess I can't actually imagine Kaiba saying that. /totally irrelevant
Jensti chapter 2 . 2/12/2014
I was just looking back over stories I enjoyed a while back and saw that you had added to it. This second section is fantastic. I love the sharp comebacks and the sense of resignation to being misunderstood. I know it's old now was a story but I also know that it's always nice to get a review. That's for writing something so thoughtful and layered and thanks also for the superb quality of the writing itself.

Jen
Blue-Eyes Rising chapter 2 . 11/11/2013
This is, without a doubt, my favorite work, FanFiction or otherwise, that I have ever read. I'm not even sure where to start. The characterization of Kaiba is incredibly well done. Kaiba's portrayal is, simply put, incredibly rewarding, from the unconditional care that he shows for his brother to the unrivaled power he possesses when dealing with others in daily life. Fleshing out the backstory of the Kaiba brothers was brilliant, and was done almost flawlessly. This is something I can read over and over again, and every time be satisfied. You are by far the best writer of Seto Kaiba that I have ever been fortunate to read, and I hope that as long as you write, you will continue to explore the depths of our favorite teenage CEO and brother. Thank you.
Asakajou chapter 1 . 7/6/2013
Well. This story is very good.
I've always liked a story from Seto's prespective.

In any case if you're wondering what Seto said in the original anime. He didn't say anything at all.
He just stares at Anzu angrily (probably because she doesn't understand that he does these things for Mokuba and he doesn't have any other choices) then walks away silently.

I'll go read the second chapter then.
futureauthor13 chapter 2 . 6/11/2013
Such a fantastic character study. As for the parts of it that were more sstory focused, everything felt perfectly in character for Seto, as well as Mokuba. The little debate between Seto and Tea also seemed very realistic and very well written. I don't really have too much of a problem with Tea (I don't find her as annoying as other fans do, and if she was a bit less judgemental and if she added a bit more to the plot, I could see her being a strong but motherly type of female character, similar to Katara from Avatar the last airbender anime) but I was definitely annoyed by her in this story. I guess it goes to show that one person may look like something to you, and may look like something completely different in another character's point of view, like Seto or Mokuba's. Anyway, I wanted to write this review (typing this on my phone) to say how much I rreally enjoyed this. Great read :)
Lady Fai chapter 2 . 3/10/2013
Thank you for writing such an eloquent story about the love that Seto has for Mokuba.

I don't remember if I had mentioned it in any of my reviews to your other stories, but I would like to thank you for helping me view Seto Kiba in another light. After reading some of your stories, I fell in love with his character. Thank you so much!

I really admire how much you are able to stick to his character while shedding some light on (to me) some of his more obscure aspects. And his interactions with other characters. And when you are guessing at some of his beliefs.
Prophet Lexicon chapter 2 . 6/17/2012
This is gorgeous...there's nothing I can tell you to improve this. It's perfect. You've got Kaiba's character down so well, it's like...holy crap I wonder if you write his character as well as or better than the original manga-ka. It's just amazing. (And when he was playing the piano, I was imagining a classical music piece by Mozart, I think. Didn't see your note 'til the end.)

You deserve major, major props. Please, PLEASE keep writing.

Prophet Lexicon from the Lunaescence Archives
ChimericKat chapter 2 . 6/15/2012
I just read both parts of this, and I absolutely loved it. I love reading fanfiction that centers only on Kaiba, but it's definitely not easy to find.

It's also hard to find something that captures the essence of his character as well as this did. I don't agree 100% with the backstory with his parents and his reaction to Mokuba's birth, but that really doesn't matter since it's all headcanon anyway.

The line in the anime, "I have everything I need," has always been one of my favorite moments for Kaiba. I loved what you did with it, and I agree every single bit with Kaiba's emotions about his brother.

His interactions with Yugi and Co. in the second part, and his thoughts about them, were also enjoyable. I especially liked the debate with Anzu. I think Kaiba would react that strongly and in exactly that way.

This was just a beautiful piece. Really.
Die Einzelganger chapter 1 . 3/22/2012
I have read this story long ago, and it is still on my mind, so it's only fair to tell you that I really loved it.

The only thing that was hard to wrap around was the last name you gave for Seto and Mokuba. (I'm sure someone has pointed the intertextual connotations and it really isn't my aim to dwell on it, because it is a nice choice regardless.) Everything else was lovely to read, full of heart and soul. I felt with it, I found it logical, plausible and very human, and it was one of the most rewarding interpretations of young Seto I ever had the pleasure of reading. I love your explanation of why Seto anticipates Mokuba's birth so much. I love little Seto's method of testing prospective adoptive parents. I was happy with your ambiguous treatment of how the chess match was won, and I felt for the parents you had created.

Also, the way Téa and the others had criticized Kaiba at every turn for having no friends always bothered me - the way they wouldn't acknowledge that Seto had put great effort into his relationship with Mokuba, who IS his best friend. This is probably why this story spoke to me even more. I'm glad that this injustice was adressed.

So I would like to thank you for giving me something that has lasted for months in my heart, a story that I could recall chapter by chapter effortlessly after a single read, and an interpretation of Kaiba I could get behind. It was lovely.

Take care.
TrisakAminawn chapter 2 . 2/14/2012
Nice scenario. Illness. Though I find it impossible to believe that the Kaibas take the time to keep their own house clean, rather than hiring domestics, for the sake of privacy. In their tax bracket, that's more or less synonymous with 'raging paranoia,' and then there'd be guards all around the place and other means of exerting control in, for example, a kidnapping situation. Heh.

I'm pretty sure composition is as much a profession now as ever. Except there's more market for it, what with all the soundtracks to be recorded compared to the tiny number of orchestras baroque Europe actually contained.

Piano thing very cute. Equivalency exams are something Seto could look into, even in America, but that's canon's fault.

Huh. Look at that. Seto is arguing that a negligent homicide is full-on murder. What are the odds. Although apparently that only applies to people you're responsible for, not strangers you kidnap. At least he has a moral system, although I think outsiders could be forgiven for finding it incoherent.

Loved the 'vice-president' moment.

Find caricatures tiresome. At least you didn't have Yugi be actively malevolent.