Reviews for Castaway Dreams
RaceTheWind10 chapter 5 . 11/12/2008
Really well done. You've captured the characters, both as children and as the CSI's we know and have seen, pefectly. The glimpse into thier pasts is beautifully rendered - emotional, and plausible without being trite or overdone. I especially like the way you've depicted Calleigh. Her last vinette with Natalia was really lovely (I of course like it because I'm a femslasher) but the simple friendship that the moment builds is very nice all on its own.

Impressive and a very nice surprise to find.
csimiamifreako chapter 1 . 8/7/2007
Mtwapa chapter 5 . 7/5/2007
Wonderful as always,

Horatio's piece; I liked the analogy that Y makes of herself and the dishwasher, and how unfixable she is, and how isolated she has become from Ray Jr. 'an appliance he never uses,' I liked the changing hues in Yelina's eyes. The dark humor from Yelina is different and I quite liked it rather than the flirty humor she has on the series, and as usual you're spot on that Horatio disregards any concern she has for him. And it's a relief H. is finally getting told off for his guilt complex, you make Yelina do it effortlessly with so few words. I really liked the ending for Horatio's piece, not happy but hopeful, and healing, the way it should be after all they have been through.

In Yelina's piece, the transition between dark and dawn does well to symbolise what's going on in her own life as she finally connects with Ray Jr. Ray Jr.'s 'te quiero...' is very touching because while the action is adult-like the words and tone remain child-like. I think the situation you made up between Ray Jr. and Yelina was pulled off really, really well. Yelina lying to Horatio was incredulous, especially since she had seen the love in his eyes, cos Horatio seems to manage to drag the truth out from all kinds of people. Yelina seems like a stronger person and maybe while Horatio has lost some of his hold on her she still has a certain power over him (which you did allude to in H.'s piece) It seems totally realistic that there are somethings that you can't tell anyone else.

With both the pieces your use of nouns, I feel really adds a sense of detachment that contributes to the character's feelings. I really admire the way you wrote the complexities of your pieces. Superb!
Once Upon A Twilight chapter 5 . 6/12/2007
OMG - you write so beautifully! it's a fresh, original idea and you did it so well, tying everything in to five [truee] concepts that touch the heart.

thanks. that was amazing. ]
Rainbow Stevie chapter 3 . 6/2/2007
There's so much material to take in here, it's almost overwhelming. If I could find just one part of one chapter like this I'd consider that a good week, but this is an entire anthology of poetic oneshots, and that's quite rare. My reviews don't come anywhere close to accurately describing how much I love it; I simply can't find enough words, so I hope this smattering of an overview is enough.

Horatio: Setting aside the fact that I'm deeply wounded to have to admit it, this is an astute depiction of his relationship with Marisol. It's also poignant and moving and one of the best character studies I've ever read. Favorite line: "He understands then that redemption is out of the question." See, just when I think nobody could possibly take his angst to a new find a way. :)

Calleigh: The wording in this section is very moving. I can actually feel her sense of detachment, a hollow sort of defeat. Also, for the first time ever, I feel a modicum of pity for Hagen - now that takes some skillful writing.

Speed: The image of her cutting with one hand and soothing with the other is almost too heartbreaking for words. And the "blood-tinged liquid falling off his body in rivulets" - it amazes me that something so visceral can be made to sound so poetic.

Yelina: *eyes bug out* DANG, and just when I thought I could finally lay my "Ray is an asshat" mantra to rest...oi. That's a heavy concept introduction, but you know what? It works. I can definitely see that happening. Love the line "proof that her husband wasn’t the only one addicted," because I think it's very true - and made all the more complex with her bitterness at the end, "she hopes it hurt." That lines not unexpected, but it's still a bit chilling. This is my favorite section in the chapter.

Eric: Far and away the best description of Marisol's illness I've ever seen, and probably ever will. It makes me ache just reading it, until I don't know which of the two I pity more. His devotion to her takes my breath away, even as he berates his selfishness for wanting her to live with suffering rather than lose her altogether. Because isn't that what anyone would do? Nobody wants to lose a loved one; as long as there's life, there's something to cling to. It isn't the end - even there's an end in *sight*, it's not here *yet*, and you want to fight it off by any means necessary.

Alexx: Once again, brilliant character sketch. I like the little glimpses into her home life, but this also explains the very essence of her character - strong and stubborn, but not immune to the creeping darkness of her line of work, and I like the exploration of what happens when it clashes with her family.

Hm...up next is "Death"? I'm guessing things are only going to get darker.
Squeeka Cuomo chapter 5 . 5/28/2007
I am so glad that I waited until tonight to review. Last night I was watching an interview with Quentin Tarantino and he touched on something that I’ve found myself saying to you countless times throughout the process of writing and beta-ing Castaway Dreams.

In the interview he was discussing his writing style and how in most movies, characters only discuss the plot and how he likes to make the characters talk about random, basically nonsense things because… it makes them human.

Whenever I watch this show, I find that it’s very plot driven and for the most part, lacking in information about the characters, about the people. What I love about Castaway Dreams is that you’ve taken the characters out of the plot and made them discuss the nonsense. In short, you’ve made these characters human.

I’m not saying that any of these scenarios are nonsense but, to me, that’s how they are treated on the show. There’s bit and pieces of the character moments but they seem to be pushed aside for the drama of the crime of the week.

You’ve forgone the plots of the episodes and allowed the characters to revel in the personal moments of their lives. The world that you’ve painted in this story is so intensely rich and emotional that I kept finding myself lost in it while beta-ing. I’ve learned so much about the characters and become attached to them for various reasons because you’ve shown me the human side of them instead of the CSI side.

As a whole, this story is nothing short of heartbreaking, bringing me to tears on more than one occasion. But thankfully, it is not just an angst fest. No, there are moments that are heart warming as well, a new CSI finally fitting in and a mother and child reconciling. And, the greatest thing is that it always feels real, feels natural. I believe that this is possible and not just a stretch of humanity for the sake of drama.

Thank you for making everyone three dimensional and, human. It has been a pleasure working on this story with you. It’s absolutely beautiful. Great job. :duck:

P.S. I just read your thank you to me and... thank you. Just, thank you.
speedfanatic05 chapter 5 . 5/27/2007
Oh wow! I'm breathless, speechless... this was absolutely , the best part of this story. You saved the best for last. Every minute feeling, every turn , every blink of any eye, all of that was palable here. Dealing with such feelings of guilt, comradarie, despondancy, and finally absoultion, this story has it all. I feel honored to have read this completly, giving me a better insight to the characters and what they tread through their lives with. Excellent work! Sad to see it end...
Rainbow Stevie chapter 2 . 5/21/2007
Okay, now that I've FINALLY gotten around to reading a little more...yep, still in awe over your writing style, this is exactly what I spend all my time hunting for. I love how particular themes-within-a-theme are beginning to emerge and take shape.

Horatio: "Half a year to get this far and the rest of his life to try and forget his feelings" is very much the essence of what this character's about - slow to act on his feelings, and I wonder what else he's missed out on because of it. But one of my favorite parts is, after lovely teasing description, the three stark words on their own line: "It's not a kiss." Up to that point you're sort of drifting along, caught up in the moment, and that yanks you right back into reality. Hm, and here I didn't think it was possible to make the end of 10-7 any more bittersweet.

Calleigh: "Horatio gently pulls her off the case, and it’s then that Calleigh begins to wonder how long it will take for this fracture in their friendship to be repaired." Ooh, very nicely put.

Speedle: I find it intriguing that Speedle's passages are so much shorter than the others, and confined to the event of his death. The inclination, I think, would be to devote plenty of space to him in tribute, but in retrospect this fittingly corresponds to him being shortchanged on life. It leaves us wanting more. In this part, you've managed to capture the feeling of emptiness, stuck in a deserted room with nothing but death for company.

Yelina: Okay, I've found my personal canon to describe what was happening in Brazil during season 4. Nobody can convince me this isn't exactly how it went. Nice juxtaposition between the partying city and the somber household at the beginning...and I particularly like the line about her being "attached to her years of married life" at the end. For all the importance Horatio more blatantly lays on family, emphasizing that she has much the same attitude is a nice counterpoint. This section's utterly beautiful, and I have a feeling I'll be rereading it a lot.

Eric: Poor Eric...driven to protect her even as a child. I'm really enjoying these glimpses into his childhood. The voice noticeably changes; it's not the Eric we know simply put into a childhood setting, there's a different feeling altogether. Perhaps most impressively, there's even a difference in tone between ch.1 and ch.2, though they're set just a few years apart.

Alexx: Still the best writing for this character I've ever seen. I like how you're delving into a deeper layer here, picking out one of her darker moments to focus on. Oh, and the last line is an utterly perfect transition into the "sickness" chapter!
Mtwapa chapter 4 . 5/16/2007
wow, another insightful piece and brilliant as per usual. I have to say that although Horatio's piece was compelling, i didn't find it as riveting as his previous pieces. Yes it was dark and somber; realising one has lost so much, and his family has truly fragmented after all that's happened. Maybe he has a second chance with Ray Jr. to 'save' him in a way he wasn't able to save Ray Sr., the fact that Yelina isn't open to him anymore is even more saddening.

Speaking of Yelina, you've done a swell job portraying her angst. It's always easy to picture/imagine Horatio's angst, but we rarely get to see Yelina's, the toll it's taking on her, it's all see from Horatio's POV. Her thoughts on being a bad mother were really sad to read, but through the pieces you've done a great job in showing how she's got to these thoughts.

Eric's piece was also very feeling...i think his and horatio's piece is similar in that they feel they haven't acheived much because everything they seem to do is offset by something worse happening. planning revenge turns out to be more fruitful/relieving than actually carrying it out.

i'm not happy that your fic is coming to it's last chapter :(
Nadya chapter 4 . 5/16/2007
Hmm...darker and darker stuff, eh?

Okay, so I didn't want Yellina to have the new baby, but can't believe she miscarried...that's awful!

Horatio...I feel really bad for without being able to offer a solution. He's in a sticky place where his not being emotionally involved is probably the best thing for him right now...from what I'm gathering, anyway.

I still love Eric. XD
Nadya chapter 3 . 5/16/2007
Urgh, he got her pregnant? Gr. Is there no end to Raymond's evilness? She just needed him to bugger off and leave her again without another child awaiting her.

And the Eric parts make me want to cry...*sniffle* And Olly just linked me to a picture. Yummy. :)
Nadya chapter 2 . 5/16/2007
And onto chapter 2...

Okay, so the Horatio/Yellina stuff is gripping. I want to shake her and force her to leave her husband. Gah! I can't believe the mental torture he put her through for so wrong!

*runs to chapter 3*
Nadya chapter 1 . 5/16/2007
I love these Katie! *bounces* Especially Calleigh, Yellina and Eric...and I don't know this show, so I'm learning as I'm going along. XD

*runs off to read the next chapter*
speedfanatic05 chapter 4 . 5/15/2007
Oh wow...this was so beautiful! Every word hit exactly where it had to, and everyone's feelings of doubt, guilt, loss, grief, heartache- all of it was overwhelmingly , achingly goregous. I have to say of the six, I was blown away with Horatio's and Speedle's. Speedle's was so gut wrenching, I had to look away then start again. It's a the tell of an excellent story that makes the reader feel as deeply as you have done here.

I find it odd that, all of these folks, who save people and make things right for everyone else, feels as if they have failed those people and ultimately, themselves. That definelty goes to show that no one knows what it's like to walk a mile in another's shoe. A lesson well taught here!

Simply outstanding work!
Squeeka Cuomo chapter 4 . 5/14/2007
What can I say? This just keeps getting better and better. Often times, fics that start out wonderfully will go completely downhill. You however, have managed to avoid that oh-so common pit fall and have even managed to up the quality in this chapter.

You picked a theme that is angsty by nature and because of that, it could have very easily turned into mellow-dramatic drivel. You however, manage to keep the tone dark and angsty with out turning this into sap and that’s amazing.

I found the Yelina section to be particularly poignant. You presented the miscarriage poetically without beating the reader over the head with it. You imagery is striking and heartbreaking and her thoughts are absolutely gut wrenching. This is my favorite of the Yelina sections so far.

As always, the Speed section touched me in a way that the others did not. It’s amazing to see his death from so many different angles. I really like how you enhanced the scene. You showed his death from Horatio and Alexx’s point of view but this is the first time that you’ve written the whole team together and it was lovely.

I’m not trying to discount the other sections. They were wonderful as well. :duck: