Reviews for Not A Monster
limonade chapter 1 . 5/14/2007
Croatoan holds a special place in my heart, it's one of my favorite episodes, and you certainly do it justice.

"Who always did the killing, so that Sam wouldn't have to."

That is so true, Dean sacrifices a bit of himself with every trigger he pulls, but he does it anyway just to spare Sam that pain. And maybe Dean has a bit of a martyr complex, but I love him for it. I suppose it comes with the job of being an awesome older brother.

And hearing Sam appreciate his brother's sacrifice, and offering to share the burden just warms my heart inside. Oh, Sammy...

You might be tired of hearing this from me but great job!
Anime's-mistress chapter 1 . 5/6/2007
I totally agree with you. What Sam said in the beginning was totally offensive. It irritates me when Sam does things like that and he doesn't even apologize, not really. I wish your version could replace the real one. :) Anyway, LOVE the story.
Marvin is my Muse chapter 1 . 4/14/2007
Aw! No critisism is needed! Way to go! Another great story!

-Marvin
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 4/13/2007
LOVED this angle on Croatoan! Wonderful revelations by Sam and I love that he's trying to convince Dean that he isn't just a killer. You did a great job! It was really moving.

My favorite parts:

His big brother. The man who would gladly, and far too readily for Sam's liking, give up his own life for a stranger. Who had weeks of sleepless nights because he was saved and a young man died in his place. Who blamed himself for a young woman's death sentence because they hadn't been able to just ignore a Reaper at work. Who blamed himself for their father's death, even though it had been his choice to make that deal and Sam himself thanked God every day that he had. - This is an AWESOME observation and SO fits Dean and how he views hiimself.

Who always did the killing, so that Sam wouldn't have to. - An aching truth for Sam! SUPER!

And suddenly Sam could see it. Every death, every time they didn't get there in time to save someone, every tough decision. It was all written on Dean's face, in his eyes, in the weight he seemed to perpetually carry these days. And Sam wondered how the hell he could ever have thought that Dean might not give a moments hesitation at taking a life, evil or otherwise. - I had tears in my eyes reading this! Fantastic!

“I should have known better, I DO know better. You're not a monster Dean, and you never could be. I know you only kill things that are evil, things that deserve it. And I know you would never take an innocent life and I know how hard it is for you – what we have to do, what we see. And don't think I don't understand how much of that you still insist on protecting me from, because I do. And I appreciate it, even though I wish you'd let me handle it sometimes, so you don't have to. But the point is, I phrased things badly before. In the car and here. I was scared because I know how you always want to protect people, and I felt like maybe that instinct would make you see Dwayne as a threat and override the fact we didn't know for sure if he was infected. And I knew you would do what you had to, but that the circumstances might make that the wrong choice and then you'd have to live with that. And I've seen you load yourself with enough guilt to last a lifetime, and I'm scared that any more and you're going to go under completely. And I don't think I could live with that.” said Sam, his voice soft.

-BEAUTIFUL speech!

“You do what's right, all the time, you do what has to be done. And I see how hard that is for you. And I hate what it does to you. I just wish you'd let me help you with it sometimes. We're in this together, remember?” said Sam, giving his brother a small smile. - I love this because in Croatoan when Sarge asked "what are we going to do?" It was Dean who had to make the hard decision. He even so far as to give him his beloved car so that they could get away. AWESOME again!

Great story. Thanks for sharing it!
Colby's girl chapter 1 . 4/9/2007
Aw...that was sweet and tender. A nice addition to Croatoan. I too felt that Sam had been a little harsh in his judgement of Dean's actions in his vision. He should know better.
Jennygeee chapter 1 . 4/8/2007
Sorry I almost missed this even though I have you on alert, when you posted it I was not at home that's why I was late reading it. I watched Croatoan and again hoped you would post a tag, and you did...better late that never! I did enjoy it and love all the angst! I've just watched Hunted (Love the 'bitch' 'jerk' bit!). Hopefully you may post a tag for it! This could become a habit you know! lol.

Many thanks for this
IMTheresa chapter 1 . 4/7/2007
Hey, no criticism coming from me! I enjoyed how you explored Dean's need for Sam's approval. Good work!
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 4/6/2007
Great that you addressed what Sam said in Croatoan, he would never really think of Dean as monster and he knows that he would only kill evil things that need to be got rid of! I guess Sam was really freaked out by his vision and didn't really think through what he was saying!

Sam would worry about it and definitely needed to have his moment to reassure Dean and let him know that he didn't mean to hurt him!

Great writing, that really needed to be said!
writerchick03 chapter 1 . 4/6/2007
Nice, very nice!
cheyenne chapter 1 . 4/6/2007
I would have loved to see that in the show. Good Job.

Cheyenne
Brenny chapter 1 . 4/6/2007
HEY! why didn't you tell me, that you posted a new story and a Croatoan one, none the less *shakes head*

anyway it was indeed sweet, honestly i never paid much attention to what sam said in the car (i was busy with chuckling over the "fine"- "fine" part) but you're so right, it did sound a bit wrong, so thank you for putting it right *g*
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 4/6/2007
Thank you.

Last night I looked on the site and no alerts from any authors on my list. Tonight I find a new story. Yeah!

I too loved this episode, it confirmed that after watching "Usual Suspects" the season was definitely back on track again. It was just a little to depressing and angry the first half of the season.

I didn't like what Sam implied at the beginning of "Croatoan" and I'm glad that you addressed that, now if only we had some of these moments in the show.

Your line about Dean, 'Who always did the killing, so that Sam wouldn't have to,' was perfect. I love both brothers and their relationship, but Dean does do everything in his power to protect Sam and feels the guilt just as Sam does for every person that they do not save, only you see it in Dean's eyes, not facial expression. (Jensen :) does a great job 'talking' with his eyes)

Thank you for having Sam say what I felt Dean needed to hear.

Is your season currently up to "Croatoan" or was this a repeat viewing like we had last week?

Enjoyed your story.

Take care.
M. Carwright chapter 1 . 4/5/2007
Ah-ha! *shouts in triumph* I have something to offer! - Ok so the very first part of this tag was absolutely gold. Brilliant actually. It very successfully gave us insight into our two boys and managed to really put the emotion across and made us truely feel. Very very powerful. And that made it everything it should be as a tag. From the beginning all the way to Sam feeling 2 inches tall was perfect.

But after that it was excess. Plus this conversation doesn't happen in the episode, which isn't bad at all because it's a tag but it didn't work for this. Lol I'm feeling hard pressed to explain exactly why it didn't work so just trust me on this. I think what the main problem was, was that it was too much. It came off as a bit sapy because too much of it was told. Lol, I know, that doesn't make sense but just hear me out. With everything laid out in neat rows for the reader it doesn't leave much for the reader to fill in and thus, fails to make the proper connection. Good Lord this is not coming out right!

Ok well lets use this really crappy example to explain: Angst works so much better when the pain is felt(by the reader) on the inside of a character rather then seeing it(like tears) on the outside of a character.

There was just to much *waves vaguely* outside, in the last part.

*hangs head in defeat* Gah, I can't do this!

ok frankly, if it had ended right after Sam was 2 inches tall then all would be perfect and people would be screaming at you for more which is exactly the kind of response to look for.

There I've said it and can come burn me at the stake for writing this giant thing.

P.S(because why the heck not?). If you ever are having troubles with something you've written, try using less - sometimes when I'm wondering what to put next, the answer is nothing.
KatieLB chapter 1 . 4/5/2007
nice and sweet but just what it was missing LOL great job
Anna chapter 1 . 4/5/2007
This was pretty good and I think it was almost necessary. There have been so many times that I've just wanted to reach into my TV and smack Sam into next week. Between the self pity party he's got going and the whole "my destiny" crap, he doesn't see the effect it's having on Dean. So yeah I think this is good because Sam needs to let Dean know every now and then that he is the good guy.
38 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »