Reviews for Porcelain
vieralynn chapter 1 . 10/10/2007
Wow. This is beautiful. I read it ages ago but didn't submit a review because I was reading from my cell phone.

I just had to come back and say thanks for such a fantastic story - I enjoy it every time I read it and it is one of my faves. I love how you get inside Penelo's thoughts in a very believable, in-character way while carrying the imagery of the porcelain doll all the way through.

This little glimpse of Penelo feels so fleshed out as a real personality.
blahhdeblahhblahh chapter 1 . 6/26/2007
FANTASTIC WORK! definitely going to my favourites!
Vixen2004 chapter 1 . 6/20/2007
There is hope for humanity. Thank the Lord. In a cyber space filled with emo teens spilling their angst ridden souls into live journals with horribly misspelled words and incredibly lame attempts at poetry, it is so refreshing to know there are authors out there like yourself who are capable of perfecting the art of meloncholy without diving into the typical melodrama and suffocating angst that seems to be so prevelent in the media now a days.

In addition to that, there are many authors, even published, that make feeble attempts to be deep and profound with some symbolic element or open ended political statement and fail miserably while doing so. Anyone can write a poem about death in free verse and pretend they sound like a scholar because so many people have no idea what a well constructed poem can sound like. Free verse is wonderful, but stringing together big words to sound deep and profound and throwing in some random swear words to sound mature (in reality proving that they are not, indeed, mature) is where the others fall short and you prevail.

The imagery of the porcelain doll made sense and was carried through to the end. It was climatic and fit the part. The second to last line was absolutely lovely, and I grinned out of the pure ingenious of it. (Though, in retrospect, I probably should have been frowing given the abysmal atmosphere of this piece. Oh well, I always have twenty-twenty hindsight.)

To be honest, I liked Penelo's views on the tearing apart of the team in 'Ami' better, well, not better, but it aroused a much sadder response. I guess it touched me more, for some reason, even though this, in itself, was beautiful.

Ha ha. Vaan: 'What's the point of a toy if you can't play with it?'

I can SO picture him saying that.

And Ashe will always wear her ring. That stuck with me. It probably will for awhile. As will 'everyone knows she lost her husband, but does anyone remember she lost her father?'

Ultimately, astounding job. But you already knew that, didn't you?
FearandLoathingXIX chapter 1 . 6/5/2007
Melancholy and absolutely beautiful, now I have to go and ponder my life :) well done.
Scarlet-Butterflies chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
Wow. This is really deep and it's nice to get to hear something from Penelo's perspective. I think you captured her very well. Some of the stuff in this story. . . I could just relate to it so well. And I think that's important. Being able to relate to what you're reading. Great job.

Xx-DarkStar
f u r o g u chapter 1 . 4/11/2007
...wow. WOW.

"we're breakable. We're kindest when we want to scream, and toughest when we're tearing apart. Most fragile when we need to be strong, and strongest when we're weak."

wow.
Firako-chan chapter 1 . 4/10/2007
i thought this was amazing. great character analysis.
Sienna03 chapter 1 . 4/9/2007
Very well-written. Nice job.
Ryfee chapter 1 . 4/8/2007
Very nice. Loved this one. Penelo has so little role in the game, and the way you wrote this was just amazing. You have a really nice perspective. The things about dolls were just so good. This was just, so wow. As it progresed towards the end, I found myself immersed into the melancholic-ness even more. Y'know what, melancholic-ness is good. And angst. xD;

Well, please bear with this short review of mine, but I really think this one was great. :)

Keep writing!

- - - - mchl .
sapereaude13 chapter 1 . 4/7/2007
This was really nice, I loved it. It's great to get some insight into Penelo's personality since we see so little of it in the game.
Sweet Valentine chapter 1 . 4/6/2007
This is beautiful. You've really captured Penelo's voice well - it's perfect, actually. There are very touching, insightful moments in this piece, and I love what you've done. Really great story!