Reviews for How Benvenuto Got His Band
Maran Zelde chapter 1 . 6/6/2007
This is a good backstory for the boss skua. As I was reading, I at first thought you could have ended it at the second division ("The mark of the aliens"). But as I continued reading, I was very glad you wrote the conversation with Benvenuto's father afterward. Signore not only believed his son but also gave him good advice on how to respond to birds who teased him for being different.

You wrote Benvenuto's accent well. The Italian-American "boids" remind me of the Goodfeathers shorts from Animaniacs. Come to think of it, there's even an episode where one of the pigeons gets stuck in a six-pack ring.
RebeccaAnn chapter 1 . 5/22/2007
Wow, am I dumb. I read most of this story before coming to the realization that Benvenuto was never going to get the kind of band I thought he was going to get. I haven't seen the movie, so maybe that is why I thought he was going to meet all the members of the band he eventually forms and plays in. I mean, I saw the movie previews, and everyone is singing or dancing and what not, I thought SOMEONE had to be playing the music, right? Did I mention I feel absolutely idiotic? Anyway, it finally dawned on me that Benvenuto got BANDED. OK, got it! Down to business:

Even though I have not seen this movie, I still enjoyed this story very much. As usual, I learned a ton of stuff about wildlife. I never even knew there was such a thing as a skua boid. I love the whole Godfather thing going on. I like how you made the experience seem like it was happening to a human being, but when you remember that it is 'just' a boid that is being treated that way, it makes you think. I see ravens around where I live that have been banded. The people here tell us that it doesn't bother the boids, but how do we really know? I know it would annoy me. I also like the way you describe the humans from the boid's point of view. Are we really THAT ugly?

I also like how you make the animals so human-like in their emotions and relationships. It makes a person stop and think ever so briefly- what is REALLY going on in the mind of that animal I am looking at? (hunting? trapping? killing? admiring? feeding?) Signore is a very wise father (he was my favorite character)

One word-Wonderful!
Flipper Boid Skua chapter 1 . 4/18/2007
I love the story. Your's is so much better than mine(Your's actually has reviews! and has way more of a plot than mine.) It's definitly worth being on Favorites! And don't worry on what tapemouth said, This story's awesome! I actually printed it out so I can read it on the go! That's how much I loved it!

I found part of one of my fav quotes in here:

"People make fun of me because I'm different. I make fun of them because they're all the same!"

I love the skuas in the movie, which is why I changed my pen-name...Skuas Rule!

All I need now is a story about the leopard seal, then my life will be complete...
Mrs Snowball chapter 1 . 4/14/2007
Great job. I like to see people coming up with background stories to the characters.
tapemouth chapter 1 . 4/11/2007