Reviews for Circle of Life
mabb5 chapter 44 . 9/27/2011
This is a massive novel, and a major achievement. It is not, however, Star Trek. Somewhere along the way the author took the major ST characters and turned them into his own creations, and set them in his own universe. Change the names of the ST characters into something else, and you have a major science fiction space war novel. In fact almost all of the major ST characters seem to a take a back seat to the plotting. Intricate, Byzantine, mind boggling at times, the plot to the CIRCLE series indicates a depth to the author's ability to plot that few professional authors can claim. This is what took my breath away when I read it. If this author plays chess, I know that I'd lose to him.

I was hooked by the second Circle story. Because of the addictive nature of the storytelling, I was willing to overlook a lot that I normally do not ignore when it comes to fan fic stories. For a change, it was nice to get attached to original characters that were not Mary Sues.

However, though the ST characters were originally based in the ST universe, along the way, they evolved away from the ST universes. Riker, of all of the characters, seemed to remain closer to the Riker that we know. But Picard, Lwaxana, Worf, Sisko, Crusher, Janeway, Jadzia and the others became pawns to story line rather than staying anchored in the ST universe.

There are major problems with the author's spelling and grammer usage. The author has a tendency to use words that sound like the words he really meant. (It's a ship's hull, not ship's haul, for example.) The stories either needed Beta readers, or if he had them, then Beta readers who actually knew how to edit. But, a few English classes and a good teacher/editor should solve these problems. The sheer talent of JD11 supercedes such minor quibbles.

A major story plot problem though - what happened to all of the characters that were gassed? Seemingly a resolution was being set up, but nothing came of it. And then there were Riker's unresolved issues with Chamberlain.

One of the major rules of writing a story is that if you set a situation up, you have to resolve it.

Overall though, if you want to have a lost weekend, this is the novel to read. It is well worth the time and effort.
bashalinge chapter 11 . 6/1/2008
your choice of words needs a little work I have found several points where the word used is inappropriate or just the wrong definition

Other than that the story is a good one
Sean Mulligan chapter 42 . 3/17/2008
Cardassia doens't have an emperor.
Sean Mulligan chapter 12 . 3/16/2008
Why would Amen still have any support on Earth. He must have had the worst presidency in Federation history with the Federation splitting in two.
Shaharazod chapter 44 . 1/31/2008
WOW! WOW! WOW! What a wonderful story! Yes, the ending was sad, but this is what's known as "passing the baton to the next generation". I loved seeing Riker in command! I thought I was the only one who thought he was under used. I loved seeing Data in command also. Out of all the charactors, I'm surprised he didn't pick up a female companion. The only thing which had me a tad disappointed was the lack of Cardassians. I think some of them should've come out of hiding to make a bold appearence within the resistance against the Federation. After dealing with the Bajoran resistance for forty ( or more years ) they should've learned how to resist. Thanks again for the great story! Keep on writing!
Lilith Kayden chapter 44 . 9/28/2007
I felt that this story was very well written. I certainly enjoyed it immensely. Action in the story was illustrated with well organized rich amounts of detail. The subtle nuances of the story, and the nuanced behavior of the characters in the story was carefully painted with the fine verbal strokes of desription that brings it out. It was not a simplistic and shallow overview, and for that the Author needed all of the 44 chapeters length and rich detailed depth that has been given to us.

The story was long as the individual events in the story were told carefully and thoughtfully. War, and especially a long war of fifteen full years, is complex. I would like to thank the Author for not just making the story into quick sketch superficial chapters, which would resemble a human body having a skeleton missing important amonuts of muscle and other tissue. Unfortunately many stories have elements of superficiality. The temptation would have been easy, as a project this complex must have required a very large amout of work and effort.

Now that I have read the 44th and final chapter of "Circle of Life" I wish to say WELL DONE! JD, thank you so much for sticking with this story. I hope that any future literary projects that may gleam in your Mind's Eye shall "Live Long And Prosper."

Zara08 chapter 44 . 9/27/2007
Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Congratulations in finishing a beautifully orchestrated epic that has kept me entertained for such a lovely time. It will be missed :-)
Lilith Kayden chapter 43 . 9/20/2007
Thank you for Updating and continuing with your story. As always your chapters are very good.

Zara08 chapter 43 . 9/20/2007
da da da dum well something had to happen, everything was just going too darn well ;-) Another great chapter, keep up the suspense and great storylines :-D
Lilith Kayden chapter 42 . 9/17/2007
I've just completed resding chapter 42 of your story. Its one of my favorate five at FFN.

Regardless of the limited number of reviews you have received, compared to the scads a much less mature Harry Potter story receives, you write well and deserve every bit of praise you receive-and much more so.

It may be possible, however, that fewer Star Trek readers review.

I will be looking forawrd to your next Update of Circles of Life, in due time as Earthly pursuits permit it.

Zara08 chapter 41 . 9/12/2007
Aw we're getting close to the end, but each chapter still reads smoothly and makes me eager for the next chpater ;-) Keep it coming ;-)
Zara08 chapter 40 . 9/7/2007
Poor Will, he's found himself liking to a lonesome island. The children hardly know him, and when he's out in space he's creating pockets of shattered civilizations. Poor Willie :) Great epic, keep it coming :-D
Zara08 chapter 39 . 9/3/2007
Another glorious chapter, but will our hero save the qalaxy? :-) Keep it coming, am loving this epic
Zara08 chapter 38 . 8/31/2007
So intriguing a start, so emotional a middle and so sad an ending. Each chapter is a tidal pool of edd and flow emotions. Keep it coming :-D
Zara08 chapter 36 . 8/25/2007
Oh no this is bad news :) Riker's starting to loose and I'm sure he's not going to take it lightly. "Target their warp drives,FIRE!" he screams, determined to send the Federation packing behind their own enemy lines ;-)

Keep it coming ;-)