Reviews for The Onigiri Tastes Best Under the Summer Sun
JC-zala chapter 14 . 3/19/2013
I've finally reached the end of this wonderfully written story. It's not everyday that I get to read such fine work. It's clear that you've put a lot of thought and effort into this. Not only do I admire your writing style, I also like the fact you give justice to every character here. Of course, with the spotlight on Sakuno, I was delighted to see her portrayal the most. You've given much highlight to her mature and insightful nature, as well as her amazing talent in cooking. Even though she has potential in Tennis, she has decided to walk in another path and that is cooking. You did not waste her talent at all.

I can see that you've done your research about cooking competition. From components, plating, and food creativity and tasting, it's obvious that you know your stuff. Everything complimented Sakuno's character well.

The boys and their antics are definitely on the mark. They were so funny and interesting at the same time. And I was intrigued with how they bonded with Sakuno.

This was definitely worthwhile reading. I'm really glad that I was able to discover this.

Great job! Keep up the good work.
Guest chapter 13 . 3/19/2013
The cooking competition was intense. I have to say the Kin-chan's commentaries made it all the more interesting. But I'm really impressed with the way Sakuno managed her team. She was so poised and graceful, despite the tension, and she cooked up a storm. It's definitely a treat to see her talent being highlighted like that.

But the mayhem towards the end was well-written. I was at the edge of my seat. I didn't expect that totally.
JC-zala chapter 11 . 3/18/2013
I can't believe it took me long to get back to this story. I've been busy indeed, but I knew I couldn't resist after a while.

Sakuno's misadventures are interesting indeed. It's pleasure to see that her culinary is given such highlight. She had always been a good cook and shows potential to be a professional in the future. The very idea of the cooking faceoff with Hyoutei is keeping me on the edge. I'm very much intrigued to see how it's going to play out. With her hair and reputation at stake, Sakuno is more than determined to fight this thing and win it. I love her strength and will here. And she's very insightful with everything that goes around her.

I have to give you props for showing a different side to Ryoma. His normally cocky self actually gave in to his no-talent in cooking. But I have to admire his honesty and his desire to help Sakuno with the competition, even with his lack of knowledge in cooking.

It's obvious that you definitely know your stuff. You've done your research, especially about the food, mixing, etc. It's impressive.
Michiko Yokisama chapter 14 . 3/9/2013
Oh. My. Gosh. I can't believe you updated! It's been so long, I've forgotten all the little details, but I'm so glad you completed this story! I've loved all of the antics that Sakuno and the boys have gotten up to, as well as the detail you put into every chapter (every food description made me salivate). It's been a hilarious, fun, and sweet journey! Thank you for seeing it to the end!
JC-zala chapter 10 . 2/19/2013
Well, this chapter certainly was packed with a lot of humor. You can definitely deliver! And you manage to have perfect control over the wide range of characters here.

Niou-senpai had it coming to him. Trickster or not, he should have know better than to spread an edited picture of an innocent girl, even if he was doing it to teach his kouhai a lesson. Oh, gosh, I felt Akaya's rage here and Marui's distress. Sanada too! Yukimura can also give such threats in a rather mild manner, but still dangerous. Everyone in Rikkai really has grown fond of Sakuno-chan.

I can also imagine what Tezuka said to Sanada. Oh, gosh, that was priceless. Sakuno is definitely precious to Tezuka for him to act that way.

I see some tension going there with Ryoma. He deliberately dropped that racket on Momo's feet. Lolz... That was funny.

Such a nice OMAKE! :)
JC-zala chapter 9 . 2/19/2013
Niou-san, not every girl would like that... -_- This spells trouble obviously, but that's how Niou is. He's such a trickster. Poor Akaya... He's gonna be surprised at this. It's so cute that he has this crush on Sakuno-chan. He's mostly to be the most attracted to her, aside from Marui. I still remember Marui's preferences in girl, which is quiet and innocent, and good at cooking. Sakuno definitely fits the description.

Sakuno blends well with the Rikkaidai team. She has this charm that's so endearing that makes her perfectly fit in with the regulars. Everyone has taken a liking to her.

The festival scenes went well. I like the way you portrayed every moment here, even the taste-testing too.

Oh gosh, the ichinen trio scene was priceless. That was so cute! Sakuno Ryuuzaki is cute with braids but she's a beauty to behold when she has her hair down. That was amusing.
JC-zala chapter 8 . 2/19/2013
It was refreshing to have Sakuno reunite with her aunt and reminisce about her delicate mother. It was touching. And I'm rather intrigued by Aunt Natsuko's personality. Cursing aside, she's quite interesting. Sakuno's really serious about this challenge that she went to her aunt for help in cooking. I'm glad that she's expanding her horizon in cooking. Sakuno for the WIN!

Sakuno in a Yukata, cute and adorable! But Sakuno with her hair down in a yukata is a picture of ephemeral beauty! I wish the others could see her right now.
JC-zala chapter 7 . 2/19/2013
As much as I love these adventures, there were some parts in this chapter that bore me to be honest. Nonetheless, majority here made me love Sakuno more and more. She has definitely shown maturity and some useful quirks. Who would have guessed that she would be able to face Akutsu like that? I mean...That guy is a monster (though he's rather a jerk with a heart of gold), but, like Dan-kun, Sakuno is able to see pass his image.

I feel sorry for Mizuki here. Fuji is seriously messing his head and he's not even doing anything! Better not mess with the genius. Hehe... I also felt sorry for Mr. Duck Face, but I'm glad that Sakuno did the right thing and told him the truth.

Kaidoh has done her good. I really didn't expect that it would be Kaidoh accompanying her. I also thought Tezuka would the rightful one. But Kaidoh is pretty good too.

What's this about the Ichinen trio taking pictures of Sakuno with her hair down? I'm so curious! Better start reading the next one.
JC-zala chapter 6 . 2/18/2013
I went... "EEHHHHH?!" when Sakuno-chan brought up Kaidoh's name. I wonder how is he going to help. I'm so curious! But before I go reading the next chapter I have to review this one.

My, oh my, you've handled their meeting well. It's not cliche or over the top. It was simply natural for Sakuno to act like that when Ryoma entered the scene. Ryoma being Ryoma still has those quirks of being cocky and anti-social, but his manners did improve. People do change with age. Nothing relatively stays the same forever.

It's always a treat to have the Regulars together. It amuses me to read about how close and touchy Eiji-senpai is towards Sakuno. The senpai-tachi have been bringing up their matchmaking tendencies again, but I'm impressed with the way Sakuno handles them. She takes a mature turn for that.

As expected, the way Ryoma settles a problem is to show off or make challenges just to make the other side shut up and move on. He was right on that. Sakuno has to prove once and for her that she has the skills and they shouldn't mess with her.

Things got a lot more interesting, my friend.
Tastastix chapter 14 . 2/18/2013
Lol yaaaaaay! I knew my loyalty would eventually pay off! Great ending, and super cute!
JC-zala chapter 5 . 2/18/2013
Well, that was certainly an entertaining chapter. Nanjiroh and Sengoku made an excellent pair with their skirt chasing/bird-watching ways and all. Ryuuzaki-sensei is indeed right about men. Even just an inkling of it, they would always have this desire, urge, or some perversion. Nanjiroh is on a higher level though. You did good with everything on Ryuuzaki's sensei explanations, especially about her matchmaking troubles before she met Sakuno's grandfather. I find it rather touching how she treasures Sakuno like a gem. Of course, her protectiveness towards her granddaughter is such a sight to behold.

Sakuno is definitely a Ryuuzaki. While she is gentle and demure, she does have the inner flame in her. Good of you to highlight Sakuno's potential in tennis too! In the manga, she is good enough to be a regular for the team. She isn't the granddaughter of the coach of the famous Seigaku boys tennis team for nothing. It was also proper to give emphasis on her love and prowess in cooking too. It definitely sets the bar.

It was such a treat to have Nanjiroh and Sengoku in the same scene. I've definitely enjoyed this.

So, Ryoma will finally make his entrance in the next chapter. I'm very interesting indeed. Nanjiroh obviously will not mind if Sakuno will end up as his daughter-in-law. Hehe...
JC-zala chapter 4 . 2/18/2013
This is a touching chapter. You've highlighted the important bond of Sakuno and her grandmother. Even though Coach Sumire Ryuuzaki is the lioness teacher, she is still the kind grandmother to Sakuno. It's funny how everyone's scared of her. Well, who wouldn't? But many people admire her. Sakuno is lucky to have a grandmother like her.

Likewise for Sumire... Sakuno is kind, sweet, and talented in her own way, and Sumire is lucky to have her as a granddaughter.

The humor here is just off the chain! The phone calls from Marui, the proposal, and his enthusiasm for her cakes made me laugh much. I do recall Marui's profile about his preferences in girls. He likes girls who are sweet, quiet, and innocent, and loves to give him things, especially food. Sakuno does fit those qualities. She's the perfect fit for Marui.

Alas, Sakuno still has some feelings for Ryoma. It's interesting to see how she'll act in front of him now that he's coming back so soon.

The call from Hyoutei was good too. Choutarou is such a nice guy.
JC-zala chapter 3 . 2/18/2013
Seigaku Regulars! Yay!

Certainly filled with glomps courtesy of Eiji-senpai! He's still bursting with energy that it's difficult to keep up. I admire Oishi's patience with him and he can control Eiji well. Their bond as friends are amazing. Let me also say that I enjoyed reading Sakuno and Eiji's cat language conversation. It was so gosh-darn-CUTE! With the way you write, I can practically imagine and hear them say 'Nyah!'. Eiji gets along well with everyone, and Sakuno is most likely be one of the few people to keep up with his energy because her personality balances his out.

Kaidou and Momo never change. Yes, they may be on the same team, but they are rivals forever, though more on friendly terms. Still they just can't stay together for so long without bickering and arguing and it's fun to see them like that. Inui still has those dread juices-slash-poison. I'm amazed the Fuji can stomach them in. Well, the genius has a very UNIQUE palette.

The sadist genius Fuji doesn't fail to impress me. He's so cunning. I still remember how he gave Mizuki a major beating. He's protective of those he cares about. It's quite clear he cares Sakuno-chan too. I like his interaction with Sakuno. So Cute! So Cute!

Apart from that, there' also Tezuka-buchou. He's the most complex character and can be quite difficult to write. But somehow you managed to get it to work here. I don't find it OOC or anything. The situation called for it and he merely acted toward it.

Plus, I like the way he gave a threat toward Atobe. Oh boy... Seems like the monkey king is in trouble now.
Usagi-chan chapter 14 . 2/17/2013
I know you've already received many amazing reviews, but I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't review this story.

I'd like to state first that I feel Sakuno's aunt isn't too Mary-Sue. I feel like she fits into the world of PoT very well.

Out of all the humorous fanfics I have read, this is by far the best in terms of canon characters staying within their personality.

I aspire to write the way you do, since I have difficulty with characters not being OOC. And having OCs remain Mary-Sue free.

I really enjoyed reading this, and it definitely made my day. I hope that you'll post a drabble or two relating back to this series if you ever get the time or idea(s) for it.

Wadya know, fourteen is my lucky number. -
JC-zala chapter 2 . 2/17/2013
Honestly, I would not even consider those traits from the Rikkaidai team as out of character. They showed those friendly and helpful demeaning in response according to Sakuno's disposition. Sakuno is very shy and timid, but her kindness and cheerfulness make her stand out. She is cute and generous. Sanada, Niou, and Kirihara were all attracted to her because of those characteristics. She was very endearing to them, especially to Kirihira (being the one close in age). Despite being from a different school and a different tennis team, the boys have definitely went out of their way to help the girl.

The Hyoutei team found Sakuno to be the not-so-typical girl, because she wasn't awe-struck at Atobe. She didn't even give the slightest interest in him. Atobe has the charms to make any girl fall in love with him, but his charms wasn't enough for Sakuno. She proved to be different and unique to everyone in the Hyoutei team. It's not everyday that someone would walk up to Atobe and stand up to him.

Atobe's A-okay in my book, but the fangirls are just low! So Low! They're cowards, as Kirihara have said. It wasn't Sakuno's fault to begin with. It was entertaining to read how Kirihara, Sanada and Niou defended Sakuno. Apparently, they make the perfect bodyguards for her. It's good to see that they also enjoyed the job.

I've enjoyed this so much! I also admire how Sakuno interacted with them. And she also made Bento for the trio and the rest of the team. It made me all go Awwwww... This is why I love this girl.
346 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »