Reviews for The Burning of the Year
sian22 chapter 1 . 8/7/2014
This is so wonderfully imagined and so very well written. Thank you for it
Itarille1 chapter 1 . 4/20/2011
hi Raksha,

This is one of my favourite Faramir - Denethor story. So many things in this story makes me glad (though rather sad, too, if you know what I mean): that the people of Gondor defiantly celebrated the New Year with hope despite of the threatening shadow, that Faramir got the chance to lead the rite, that Denethor admitted that Faramir does represent the hope symbolized by the Year King, that Faramir genuinely cared for his father despite their difficult relationship.

I agree that sometimes Faramir may have felt a moment anger against his father's favouritism. Somehow I do not think that anger / resentment tarnish his nobility. I think it is the other way around. If he is never tempted by such emotions, how can we say that he is a noble man? It is because of his conscious actions and thoughts despite of such emotions that we see him as a noble man.

hope you do not mind a long review! :)
Darkover chapter 1 . 10/8/2010
Dear Raksha: This story was a pleasure to read. The description of the rites and festivities was very good, and I think you also did a very nice job of depicting Faramir's POV. I particularly liked that you let him get a little angry at his father. IMHO, fan authors who write stories about Faramir and his relationship with his old man should do that a little more often. No one can be *that* noble *all* the time. Again, I enjoyed this. Thanks for writing and posting it. Sincerely, Darkover
Jassmine de Blanc chapter 1 . 6/24/2008
Sublime. Solemn, dark and very Tolkienesque. Excellent!

There are many things that I loved in this piece - from your characterization of both Faramir *and* Denethor (exactly how I imagined him!) to the very interesting rituals you describe! I like the mood of this story - people are trying to be cheerful, but doom hangs upon them... I read every line with "The Pyre of Denethor" constantly in my mind, and comparing the two situations was enough to give me goosebumps...

So thank you for a very, very well-written fanfiction, touching and thought-provoking! :)
Rhapsody the Bard chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
I don't know what it is with this story, I've read it a couple of times and yet every time it moves me or it just puts the spotlight on something else, just as if you can look at a diamond from several angles. The pacing is sublime, as the march continues it feels as if Faramir opens up to you as a reader more, his concerns, and worries... yet pride and looking for approval. It feels and reads as a rite of passage, just as the year starts anew. This also gives this story that poignant touch, knowing what will await him that year. In addition, I told you before, I think, that I loved how you wove the details of traditions in here: very symbolic with a refined touch Tolkien most likely would have liked himself.
Deandra chapter 1 . 6/16/2007
Nicely done. Very moody, evocative piece that forebodes what will come in the not-so-distant future for these two men. This is a beautiful adjunct to Tolkien's works.

- Deandra
nautika chapter 1 . 4/9/2007
This was a very compelling story. Thank you for sharing it!
JuliaAurelia chapter 1 . 4/9/2007
Very well-written. I was particularly struck by the excellence of the language, as it was very Tolkien-y, as well as the solemn mood that pervaded throughout. Liked also how the last line foreshadowed the pyre of Denethor.
Violin Ghost chapter 1 . 4/9/2007
This was lovely. Faramir as the Year-king! Now that's something I could get used to. He's finally getting his chance to shine.

I love the way you portray Denethor- he's very in character indeed. He's cold, and loves Boromir more, but still loves Faramir.

I like the writing style. Do write more! I enjoyed this very much.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 4/9/2007
It is good to see this chilling tale here.I love all the foreboding and the vivid atmosphere you create.