Reviews for The Man With No Name
Appbeza chapter 32 . 9/18
I installed a text-to-speech extension and put it on a higher speed. It allowed me to enjoy the touching moments - and this really did have them - without the regret of skipping any content. I could have read it normally tho if particular paragraphs were split up some more, but I still feel like there was a bit too much reminiscing at times.

Great ending; and the scene where the doctor tried to sacrifice himself for Mal was really touching, and true to the Doctor's character.
Appbeza chapter 25 . 9/18
I'm finding it hard to read from half-way. Some paragraphs are too big from that point, and go into detail that I don't think is relavent to this short story, and it really drags out simple scenes.

Like for example, some characters are reimensing too much. I think it's best practice for these to be either short & sweet, or sparse & powerful. Even better: short & powerful.
tgfofp chapter 32 . 7/17
Thanks! It's a pretty good story! Keep on writing!
GayFireTruck chapter 32 . 5/13
This is such an amazing fanfiction and it's definitely the crossover I never knew I needed! The way the characters and dialogue were written, it was as if they were all jumping off the pages! Also I love that the author actually took the time to research terms, lore, and random quotes; not to mention the wonderful formatting, grammer, and smooth transitions between scenes! This is my new favorite fic!
silverhawk88 chapter 26 . 8/19/2020
That was a big burden The Doctor just put on Simon. I know that will work out somehow in the direction your story could go.

I laughed out loud hard at what the doctor said at the end!
silverhawk88 chapter 7 . 8/19/2020
Oh my gosh! You have 10 down to pat! I find myself reading seriously then laughing over a quip or line for a while before starting back to serious.

Great job!
Guest chapter 9 . 4/28/2020
There we go, thats just about the Ten I remember. "damn the Consequences feels too heavy for his usual dialogue though. 9 or 12, sure, but not 10.

By the way: did you know that in the Serenity comics a man pops up ib the background with an impossibly long scarf and a visage that could be best described as "all teeth and curls"? I was looking for that when I found your beautiful story
Guest chapter 8 . 4/28/2020
Oh, and editorial error:

Ma"Frankly, I don't care if it's a pickled cow. Badger's offerin' good coin for us to bring it back, and we sorely need the work. And it's better than Jayne's idea of a job."
Guest chapter 8 . 4/28/2020
So just a quick bit of commentary: the "runs on batteries" bit was a clever reference to the movie, but felt wrong for Mal's inner dialogue.
Guest chapter 7 . 4/28/2020
Hello! So this is going to be an up to this point review rather than a chapter specific review.

First of all, I am utterly in love with what you are doing. Two of my favorite fandom, and you are weaving them together very well. I really do have better things to do than be binging through 32 chapters of a story, but I cannot put it down.

For the cast of Firefly, you really have the voices nailed. Every one of them I can close my eyes and hear, see, and feel them. And you do a grest job of sowing in the chinese for effect. My one complaint is that some others have referred to "Little Kaylee". To my knowledge that was only Mal. He's always had this father- daughter relationship with her that that was tied to that none of the others have. You use it for Inara, she always seemed to be more "sister" than anything else. Simon would probably have his own name. On that same track, "meimei" is a bit overused in your story so far. Thats less specific to any one pair of characters, but I don't remember Mal using it for anyone other than Kaylee because again, the father daughter dynamic. I seem to remember him sticking with "Little One" for River. Simon would for River though and did.

How Mal (and as a phenomenal writer you well know this) refers to each member of his crew is so important to his character because it shows how his heart works. Meimei or "little Kaylee" for Kaylee is personal and inclusive. She is family. "little one" for River lacks the more personal touch; Mal is still holding her somewhat at arm's length (though that arm is bending in more and more with each episode) but it still speaks volumes to respect and care he feels for her and Simon, and its clear he feels... Whats a good word for pity that doesnt feel degrading... For what she went through at the hands of the alliance.

For the other characters, that nomenclature is much less important because they show their feelings more in actions and expressions, and you don't see it in any of the others, except when Simon refers to River as meimei in the literal definition of the term.

Whew, thats a lot of words for a minor nitpick. Sorry.

I agree with your prologue, some of Ten's best moments are when he is unbound abd free to foil off of whstever character he so chooses. However, there is something bot quite there with his voice for me. Its close; he totally eould bond with Kaylee over ships, and his bit with Mal about wandering off immediately takes me back to "The Girl in the Fireplace": "Don't wander off, I tell them; Rule 1. 'Don't wander off. There could be anything on this ship." But other times its not quite there. I think the best example is his comment to Inara about "please tell me I have met everyone on this ship." It makes sense for others to be hung up on his name, but its not something we see in Doctor Who often, if ever. Usually its just the bit joke and they roll on to the next witty commentary, so seeing him... Exasperated? Over it seems wrong. Really, seeing 10 exasperated over anything is a bit off and I think thats what I am picking up on. 10 can be a very hard character to write for. Usually he is the smartest person in the room, and when he is not, he is relishing in the chance to be the pupil, not offput by it. Not visibly, anyway. (And part of what made Tennant so dang good is he had the facial expressions and body language to sell the dialogue, and you don't have that luxury. As I read, I will see if I can sus out more of what I am picking up on and pit it into words. Although this is how old now?
Guest chapter 32 . 2/28/2020
Great story
Lsheehy7 chapter 32 . 1/2/2020
This was the most amazing story! Merging two of my favorites the Doctor andCaptain Reynolds and crew. The story was well written, and I'm glad to say complete when I started. I would have hated waiting for subsequent chapters to see what would happen next. I am most grateful for a story that authentically highlights the best of the two leads and ends well! THANK YOY!
Guest chapter 7 . 9/2/2019
Is this really The Doctor? Seems more like Captain Jack in disguise to me.
JasperK chapter 32 . 8/17/2019
Wow. This tale is fantastic. Read it all in one go and wow. Love the way you capture the character of each person especially the (many- layered) complexity that is the Doctor. Also the way you wove the story into the Firefly universe, nicely done.
MegK1978 chapter 32 . 7/2/2019
This is my favorite scene: light-hearted, fun, and romantic. And imagining Jayne Cobb at six-foot-four, putting the Doctor, at 6’1”, in a headlock, with Kaylee (all 5’6” of her) trying to get him to let go, Simon laughing hysterically, with Mal and Inarra looking on with fondness and amusement-ALWAYS makes me smile.

Despite these two vastly different worlds, you've meshed them well. The character moments between the Doctor and River are particularly sweet. And the Doctor's full anger at arrogant humans in power is a sight to behold.

In the words of Nine: Fantastic!

(A fuller review is on Medium; just look for Margaret the Word Witch.)
1,190 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »