Reviews for Gunslinger
SilverKitsune1 chapter 7 . 5/22/2007
Oh man, so many places to begin review...where to begin...

"A blood stain, tennis ball size, fingered outwards from a central point to form a gory scarlet sea-star just above Sam’s right hip."

I'm going to start here because the "gory scarlet sea-star" description just made me die I love it so much!

"Frost coated the windows, obscured a view of the interior of the car. Worse than the night he had gotten lucky with Janine, the red-headed waitress from Oscar’s Diner in Keyhole, Nebraska. They had drawn lurid images on the windows of the car in their post-coital inebriation, and Dean had been too endorphin drunk to realize that they’d show up next time the car’s windows frosted up."

This would be such a cool stand alone fic, but even as a stand alone paragraph it's such an in-character thing for Dean to have done. The boy has such fun with sex. And John finding out is such a hilarious image.

"Expected to find pellet peppered flesh"

You are queen of the awesome descriptions in this chapter. Gold stars all around.

“I’ll pay to have it fixed.”

I wanted to bang my head into the key board at this part! Sam is heading towards unconsciousness, Dean is having an older brother panic attack, and Sam is worried about the leather! Aw Sammy!

Dean nodded, his fingers tingling. “Geek boy logic?”

I always get a kick out of Dean referring to Sam as a geek or a nerd or a college boy. I'm sort of in love with the fact that Sam is a brainy, book loving kind of guy, and you know Dean finds it endearing as well.

"the irregular arch of one eyebrow wasn’t from a misplucked hair, but from a thin scar."

I thought this throw in about the nurse was really interesting just because you know that the people our boys have saved have an idea that there are other things out there in the dark, so who's to say that others who went through similar experiences aren't walking around.

I thought this story was really cool! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
astalder27 chapter 7 . 5/21/2007
Aww! Great job, "Oh yeah, Sam was a Winchester alright – through and through. The pride that swelled threatened to strangle Dean, but he swallowed it down and kept his expression neutral." I loved this line- that so classic Dean! Your use of the english language is amazing, Im currently taking an advanced english class and we're working on using similes, metaphors, etc. in our writing and I see how well they work!

Anyway, terrific job I loved this story!
Dean's Little Secret chapter 7 . 5/20/2007
Great Ending :)
Pedellea chapter 7 . 5/20/2007
Thanks for getting through the story. Another action and angst-filled ride to be had! I hope you have other stories up your sleeve to show off soon to get us all through the hiatus. :o)
funkyspunk chapter 7 . 5/20/2007
i was SO SO SO overjoyed when I saw this in the alerts today! Thank you majorly for updating and I loved the end! When I get more time (tomorow)Ill read this story again because its just so damn freakin good!

Are you gonna write another one soon?

Get back to me!

Funky.
InSecret chapter 7 . 5/20/2007
Hey, huge apologies for not reviewing this more... I feel mean and nasty considering how much I've enjoyed this story. I've been swamped. Am swamped. No one told me university involved so much work. I feel cheated LOL.

Anyhoo. Lovely work, as usual. I'm pretty sure you already know how jealous I am of your writing. If not, I'm VERY. Cos. Well. Wow. Just. WOW. I really can't wait to see what you do next.

And oh. Incidentally... for a Samster, you do Dean hurt/angst so well. I'm super proud. LOL. And pleased ;-) Have a good one!
tvdinnersrule chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
I love this story, all the hurtsam and angst. This last chapter was a little awkward though, i dont know why, just the way you wrote it was kinda confusing to figure out what was going on.
Still Awesome2009 chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
great story i enjoyed it
KatieLB chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
great job on this story! Love that sam shot him in the car LOLOL great job
Third Stage chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Yet again, Im left speechless. And very impressed at how this story ended! Great work, as usual, and i really hope to read more Sam-angst soon!
empath89 chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
that was so good. i love your stuff! can't wait for more. sammy and dean...amazing here! poor sammy, being tortured like that.

hugs...empath
I'mcalledZorro chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Good story, I enjoyed reading it.
ephiny63 chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
HEHEHE okay Darlin' you are forgiven for taking so long coz this chapter rocked, the visuals are so real it was great reading. So only one question, enquiring wants to know, when is the next story coming? AND so okay two questions, how much nagging am I going to have to do, or begging, threatening, or pleading, nah I prefer nagging ... hm will have to think of something to threaten you with now I can't tease you with seeing the last ep first and no more spoilers. mwahahaha although I do have a very wicked imagination!

huggles Shelly

who wants to go to Kazcon but sob can't coz got Uni and no money! hehehe so I will be living vicariously through everyone who attends and reports on it...
bally2cute chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Awesome, awesome story! I don't know what to say, but I loved it! I love how strong you make Sam, and you write an incredible Dean. I guess Brad's name should have really been Gulliver, but what are you goingto do? Loved Sondra. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
A-blackwinged-bird chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
YAY for the KazCon pimpage! You go girl. *wink*

Aching lungs made every breath burn in his chest, denied him oxygen to call his brother’s name.

Again, I love this. You could have just said, 'Breathlessly, Dean ran...' But this is so much more real.

Pain bladed his ankle, made him favor one side, but it did not slow him down. He reached the car, slammed hard into the driver’s side door and grappled at the door handle. “Sammy, open up.”

This entire scene is written so fluidly- my eyes jump from one word to the other as a starving man inhales a hot meal. The poetry of Dean's actions is outstanding.

Frost coated the windows, obscured a view of the interior of the car.

And details as simple as this really breathe life into your writing.

Dean leapt across the hood and half slid, half fell to the passenger side door. “Sam!”

*happy sigh* You will forever be marked in my book as a queen: the writer of Dean's first offical 'hood slide'. I love you.

Frost melted off the windows, letting in weak light from outside the car. Dean scanned the back seat. Salt pocked the leather, gouged craters to reveal blistered foam. Bits of it lay splattered across the seat, stuck to the windows.

I love the melting frost and the salt-pocked leather. I can see the stuffing leaking from the seats.

“I’ll pay to have it fixed.”

This breaks my heart. Poor Sammy. *huggles*

"...You’re still paying for it though. Next time, draw the bastard out of the car first.”

Pure Dean. *grin*

“Ever seen a chicken with its head cut off?”

I will shiver every time I hear this. Your use of the phrase was beautifully done on all accounts. You've got a powerful gift, my friend.

Even as Dean watched, flames laced fiery fingers across the saloon’s roof, up under the verandah, around the skeletal structure of the gallows. Awe inspiring destruction: beautiful and terrifying. It held Dean transfixed, pinned him with a sense of dread, made it impossible to look away. Memories, recent and past, whittled through his mind: images of what had been, and of what might come. He lacked the strength for it, the courage and resilience to see it through… or to turn away. So he stared and he suffered.

*standing ovation* THIS is what I wanted. This fire signifies the end, and it should be important. It's fanon to say the boys react to the flames in memory of Mary and Jess, but I like to think they do. How could you not?

Brad stood by his SUV, arms folded, expression sorrowful: quiet and resigned – changed.

I love that you acknowledged Brad's journey too. He did indeed change during this story, and even though Dean and Sam are the main characters, they are not the only ones who suffer loss.

He rested his wrist on the steering wheel, fingers dangling, and shifted his gaze to his brother.

Hee. *wink*

...gallows fully corrupted by fire...

I might have missed this the first time around- but I'm glad you didn't forget about the gallows. They are just as important as the town.

“It’d give us the edge, better than an EMF, more reliable.”

The last time (on the show) Dean and Sam talked about the visions, Dean for the first time did not call Sam a freak, and that got my attention. He's coming to accept the visions for what they are, and it makes sense that he has found the value of them.

“You done here?” Dean tipped a hand toward the fire, and the wrist cast gleamed dull against the night. “Seen enough?”

Nicely done. *grin*

“Shut up and breathe.”

Hee. Men are Men and they are hardly ever too worried to pass up a chance at machoism. Nice banter.

“Don’t know what you mean. Sam wanted strawberry icecream on chocolate pancakes, there’s this—“

This is such a Dean thing to do, to make up an excuse that hints of Sam's feminism. *wink*

Great story, nicely landed ending. Such a gently, smooth tag after a rough ride is much appreciated, and on top of it all, you wrapped up all the lose ends and left us with a promise of hope. Excellent job,

me