Reviews for Gunslinger
A-blackwinged-bird chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
YAY for the KazCon pimpage! You go girl. *wink*

Aching lungs made every breath burn in his chest, denied him oxygen to call his brother’s name.

Again, I love this. You could have just said, 'Breathlessly, Dean ran...' But this is so much more real.

Pain bladed his ankle, made him favor one side, but it did not slow him down. He reached the car, slammed hard into the driver’s side door and grappled at the door handle. “Sammy, open up.”

This entire scene is written so fluidly- my eyes jump from one word to the other as a starving man inhales a hot meal. The poetry of Dean's actions is outstanding.

Frost coated the windows, obscured a view of the interior of the car.

And details as simple as this really breathe life into your writing.

Dean leapt across the hood and half slid, half fell to the passenger side door. “Sam!”

*happy sigh* You will forever be marked in my book as a queen: the writer of Dean's first offical 'hood slide'. I love you.

Frost melted off the windows, letting in weak light from outside the car. Dean scanned the back seat. Salt pocked the leather, gouged craters to reveal blistered foam. Bits of it lay splattered across the seat, stuck to the windows.

I love the melting frost and the salt-pocked leather. I can see the stuffing leaking from the seats.

“I’ll pay to have it fixed.”

This breaks my heart. Poor Sammy. *huggles*

"...You’re still paying for it though. Next time, draw the bastard out of the car first.”

Pure Dean. *grin*

“Ever seen a chicken with its head cut off?”

I will shiver every time I hear this. Your use of the phrase was beautifully done on all accounts. You've got a powerful gift, my friend.

Even as Dean watched, flames laced fiery fingers across the saloon’s roof, up under the verandah, around the skeletal structure of the gallows. Awe inspiring destruction: beautiful and terrifying. It held Dean transfixed, pinned him with a sense of dread, made it impossible to look away. Memories, recent and past, whittled through his mind: images of what had been, and of what might come. He lacked the strength for it, the courage and resilience to see it through… or to turn away. So he stared and he suffered.

*standing ovation* THIS is what I wanted. This fire signifies the end, and it should be important. It's fanon to say the boys react to the flames in memory of Mary and Jess, but I like to think they do. How could you not?

Brad stood by his SUV, arms folded, expression sorrowful: quiet and resigned – changed.

I love that you acknowledged Brad's journey too. He did indeed change during this story, and even though Dean and Sam are the main characters, they are not the only ones who suffer loss.

He rested his wrist on the steering wheel, fingers dangling, and shifted his gaze to his brother.

Hee. *wink*

...gallows fully corrupted by fire...

I might have missed this the first time around- but I'm glad you didn't forget about the gallows. They are just as important as the town.

“It’d give us the edge, better than an EMF, more reliable.”

The last time (on the show) Dean and Sam talked about the visions, Dean for the first time did not call Sam a freak, and that got my attention. He's coming to accept the visions for what they are, and it makes sense that he has found the value of them.

“You done here?” Dean tipped a hand toward the fire, and the wrist cast gleamed dull against the night. “Seen enough?”

Nicely done. *grin*

“Shut up and breathe.”

Hee. Men are Men and they are hardly ever too worried to pass up a chance at machoism. Nice banter.

“Don’t know what you mean. Sam wanted strawberry icecream on chocolate pancakes, there’s this—“

This is such a Dean thing to do, to make up an excuse that hints of Sam's feminism. *wink*

Great story, nicely landed ending. Such a gently, smooth tag after a rough ride is much appreciated, and on top of it all, you wrapped up all the lose ends and left us with a promise of hope. Excellent job,

LazarusLady chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
A fantastic story! Have enjoyed it the whole way through, and a satisfying finish. Thanks for posting it!
irismay42 chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Loved the ending - torching the town seemed somehow like poetic justice...

Great fic from start to finish!
Sunrize chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Woohoo! I've been waiting not so patiently for you to finish this so I could savor it all in one piece. It was definitely worth the wait (though it really was cruel of you to take so long on this last chapter ). What a fascinating idea, well developed. I think the most heartbreaking part, for me, was when in his confusion Sam began to believe that he really had tortured and killed that family.

Something I really like about your fics is that you don't skimp on the comfort. Loved Dean here, strong and determined and never giving up on his little brother. And I really liked the twist of the nurse at the end, figuring things out. Hmm, wonder what that scar was about...

Great job, as always. I really hope you have another story for us soon!
bb1028 chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
great chapter, great ending...i really liked this story. you did an awesome job writing it, look foward to another one )
Brigid Tanner chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Great ending.
modrocker423 chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Wow. I absolutely loved this story. You did a great job capturing Sam and Dean's character and personality. Loved the Vegas joke at the end. haha, ;) You never fail to write amazing stories. I look forward to reading more in the future! :)

P.S. I agree with you, the season finale was intense and so good. Can't wait for the third season!
sammygirl1963 chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Awesome ending to a great story! You kept my heart in my throat the whole time as I was reading! I was glad to see that they had burned down the ghost town too to make sure there was no chance of the spirits coming back again!
TammiTam chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Great ending! So glad you finished. And wasn't the season finale just AWESOME? For us Sammy fans, it's wonderful!
Surplus Imagination chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Great ending! I hope you have a good story planned for Vegas. I could feel Dean's anguish as he made his way back to the Impala. Good job :)

Wonderful story. I'll have to go back and read it in its entirity!
TraSan chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Ah, so awesome! I enjoyed this from beginning to end. Your descriptions are so complete and unique they paint a picture in startling clarity and richness.

Liz Bach chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Just wonderful, lady. I loved every chapter. You do limp!Sam so well. I especially liked the image of a Sam who had the strength and determination to shoot the baddie in the car leaning against the car window in tears because of the intensity of his weariness and pain. Usually I'm not a huge fan of crying!Sam (unless it's JP on the actual show, then I'm all over it), but I think it was so appropriate here, and not done in an over-the-top, unbelievable way.

Anyhoo, it was great. I hope you've another in the works soon.

Nana56 chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Are you coming to the convention? That would be so cool!

Thanks so much for this story! I really loved it. You do the boys so well...just perfectly!

Great job, Sweetie!
friendly chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
great job.. that was great.. can't wait for the next story..heheheh
Poaetpainter chapter 7 . 5/19/2007
Aww! I love you and this story! Not to be quick or anything, but is there going to be a continuation? Your very very good at Sammy pain. :D
276 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »