Reviews for Verbal
HAP chapter 1 . 4/18/2007
Wow - at first I thought it was hilarious, but then it just got so sad - you know, like when you cringe in embarassment for someone (I do it for people in tv shows and movies all the time).

“Hey, maybe he is, maybe he’s sitting in a sound booth in Hell and the yellow-eyed Demon has a little camcorder somewhere in the Impala and Dad’s just writhing in agony, hearing me going on and on about him.”

See? Right there...poor Dean! I hope Sam learnt his lesson about trying to get Dean to open up! Always love the way you write them - hope you've got more little stories for us to see in the future!
adara13 chapter 1 . 4/18/2007
Ok, so when the first sentence makes me giggle childishly so my roommate gives me a funny look, I think that's a good sign.

Gah! You have such a way with word pictures-everything is always related with stories and comparisons and...it just always has the simultaneous effect of making me laugh and making me really able to picture it. Also, is it sad that I really want to see the real Dean make horns for himself with his fingers? Of course, knowing the show, it's entirely possible that I might actually get my wish... You know, seeing as Sam was planning on becoming a lawyer, you'd think he'd have more sympathy with the Trickster's fun with semantics...

So, twisting the whole "make them TALK" idea into this wonderful...eh, I'm going to call it fairytale, well, it was brilliant. I was laughing at the beginning at the idea but by the end you made so sad about it-the idea of being that vulnerable and out of control, especially for Dean... I expected it to be funny all the way through, and then you got all DEEP on me. The nerve! Of course, now I have a manic voice running through MY head because I'm susceptible like that. (also, I just noticed that one of the categories for this story is "supernatural" which made start laughing again b/c I'm pathetic like that...)

Anyway, I really liked the story a lot, and I think it wasn't just Sam who realized maybe there can be too much of a good thing!
ParallelVerse chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
Oh, BigPink, only you could take a request for a story where Dean and Sam talk to each other and turn it into...this. Apart from the fact that your creativity appears to know no bounds and that you have a deliciously twisted mind, you manage to get to the heart of things Winchester without spewing bathos or 'splaining until the reader's head is so stuffed there is no room for an original thought or interpretation of his or her own. By which I mean to say that I may not understand exactly what you are getting at all the time, but I get what I get viscerally and it opens up my head rather than shutting it down.

"For once, giving." Now that struck a chord with me because of some things I have been thinking about lately with regard to Sammy. Namely, that he is, through absolutely no fault of his own, what you might best describe as spoiled. Circumstances, and John, with Dean's willing connivance, have made Sam the center of Dean's universe. It is humanly impossible to avoid taking that sort of thing for granted, or taking advantage of it-at least until other circumstances finally make it possible to recognize it. Doesn't diminish the love or assuage the guilt, but makes it possible to fail to recognize the essential selfishness of the desire for full openness and disclosure. Dean has given up some of himself to Sam over time, albeit painfully, and will probably give more, especially since his faith in Sam, while not blind, is boundless and he could ultimately forgive Sam for anything except dying. But it can't be forced or coerced and retain any real value.

It's late and I just got back from a trip to Arizona (saw Ten Inch Hero [which Jensen Ackles owned], an amazing abandoned gold mine with falling down buildings, an honest to god hanging tree-an ancient ironwood on which 18 men were hung for stealing gold-and atmosphere that reeked of ghost story, and the Superstition Mountains, whose stark beauty made me cry) so I may not be making much sense. But I really, really liked this and I hope you don't get tired of unwrapping these guys anytime soon.
Maz101 chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
I'm still smiling as I review - brilliant idea brilliantly executed. And Funny. And moving. And pretty unique which is quite something when we all know how much stuff there is out there. You lead the way. Truly great stuff.
Poaetpainter chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
OMG! This was fucking brilliant! How much Research did you have to do for this? (favving)
irismay42 chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
Well, I certainly didn't expect that ending... But what an ending! And what a beginning and middle for that matter! As I've come to expect from some of your stories, what starts off as something hilarious and fun quickly descends into danger and angst - just the best things about the Winchester boys! To be honest, I for one could sit and listen to Dean talking about Bonanza all day, but I can see how it would wear on Sam! Good thing the Trickster wasn't around Seattle when the Wolf was - imagine HIM wishing for Dean to never stop talking...? (Oh now I've just gone all BigPink fan girlie...!)
Winter1066 chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
This was great! Man I think the shock alone, from the kiss, would have shut Dean up. I was so excited when I saw a new story. Now I have to beg for another.
Brigid Tanner chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
Poor Dean! that would be horrible for him, to have to EXPRESS everything! without any coffee!LOL!

I'm gonna have to think a little more about how Sam broke the curse. Part of me thinks Dean would have punched Sam out, nevermind that it was a "magic" kiss...and part of me is going into the gutter with Wincesty thoughts.

Wonderfully written story, guys perfectly in character. Except maybe for the kiss...but if that was the only thing to cure his brother, Sam wouldn't hesitate. Even if Dean did punch him out afterwards. Sorry, I'm rambling.
historylover chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
I so loved this one. Except, to be honest, I'm not a fan of Wincest. And, that shocked me.

I just want to say-I'm a huge Beatles fan. I have everything that the Beatles have ever put out. Every CD. I know every song. And, I've always wondered why Rocky Raccoon had it bad for "Magill, but she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy." That made me laugh so hard I woke up my roommate!

I had to grow up watching "Bonanza." I didn't even know it had lyrics!

Kat
NathMG chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
Oh My God! That was exhausting! I have to rest now:-)

I loved it. I have read so many stories that I can practically predict what will come next, but I did not see that one coming. You have once again proven to me why you are one of my favorite authors. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
rodevo chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
Oh wow...funny and hurting and...ow.

As someone who holds onto many things they would never ever say in a lifetime, yeah, this would be torture. And scary. And frustrating. And all those other things.

But OMG-such love for Dean talking and Sam trying to figure things out and take care of him and resist the urge to find out about things he both does and doesn't want to know about. I love the one-night-stand girl and her cowboy boyfriend who are so busy having their own argument they have no idea what Sam's saying. And I love everything Dean says to the guy in the bar-OMG, it just sounds like him and some of the things that would, really, be going on in his head.

I love that you underplay things in just the right way and that you also take the time to build things so that the tension is *right there* and (for example) Dean walking out of the room says way more than half of the things Dean has actually spoken already.

Thanks! Enjoyed it lots!
Minkster chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
I love this. The premise is fun, you kept the twists surprising, and the dialogue is believable. I was getting tired and frustrated vicariously for the boys, and the ending certainly gave me pause (I was expecting Sam to divulge private bits of life at Stanford, kudos on the surprise). I love the bit about Tracy's sister, and Dean diving right into picking a fight with the barfly. I'd read some of Dazzleland, and this reminds me to go back and finish it!
Antigone11 chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
I'm kind of confused. So the Trickster granted a warped version of Sam's wish for Dean to talk to him and share his emotions/feelings with him and so Sam figured out that to stop it, he had to basically grant a warped version of Dean's wish to, I don't know, 'connect' with Sam or to have Sam reflect back the love that Dean has always given to Sam? Or something? *scratches head*

I felt so bad for Dean, especially when he's telling Sam that he doesn't want to say the words that are coming out of his mouth. I can't think of too many things that would hurt Dean more than to make him say his deepest most personal thoughts out loud (which is why I really hated that Andy kid, you just don't DO that to Dean). I liked that Sam managed to pull back his desire to ask leading questions. I also really liked the characterization of Dean expressing his hurt at being shot by Sam and accepting Sam's unspoken apology in pracically the same breath.

I'm thinking that Etienne was the bartender? If he/she was hanging around the see the end result?
Jennygeee chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
I absolutely loved that! I was exhausted reading it! I’m glad that Sam had the goodness of mind not to take advantage of Dean. It was just so funny, I was giggling the whole way through and I just loved the ending.

You won’t believe this but I was listening to Gallows Pole while I was reading about Dean listing the lyrics – is that true that it was originally about a woman?

Loved the bit in the bar with Dean mouthing off to the guy in the cap – so funny!
Windyfontaine chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
I'm stalking you :) Just kidding, the email beeped and I had to comment again on liking it. And would love more of that back story on the Comstock Lode. No talky show today, but there was a special on uses for gold, which is kind of a cousin to silver :) Oh right, fic review: yes, although if one knows Dean one knows how poetic justice-y it is that he has to talk and let out what he's thinking, and that could be funny, it really isn't. Especially the sore throat part, but also because to have one's will coerced like that is something that the boys would actually fight against methinks. Glad Sam figured it out, and love love love your writing as usual. Hope your day goes well :)
60 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4