Reviews for Harry Potter and the Chained Souls
Macabre Kyr chapter 31 . 10/15
This story is a fantastic achievement of excellent writing, characterization and plotting. You got each character down so well I felt like I was reading the originals when following their dialogue. I honestly think this story stand equal to the originals in a multitude of ways - even including the roundabout Dumbledore plot that had no chance of succeeding and did anyways.
Thank you for your work!
Kralizec314 chapter 31 . 10/2
Very Good! I love this story!
The alternative method of immortality you've dreamed up - binding his soul to his followers through the Dark Mark - is utter genius, and all too believable. In GOF, when Snape talks about the Dark Mark going stronger, just as Voldemort himself grows stronger, one can easily believe that the Mark is connected to his soul.
Just a question, though: the howling abyss that Voldemort falls into - and which Snape very briefly endures - is that where the victims of the Dementor's Kiss go when their souls are sucked out?
I find it ironic that Katrina's vigilante justice on the DEs was proven to be utterly necessary, in the end; wherever she is, I hope she can now find peace.
I think its cool that Harry and Snape become Aurors together, and the thought of Snape being a teacher of future Aurors tickles my funnybone; I've always seen his harsh, authoritarian attitude at Hogwarts as being similar to that of a Drill Instructor's (I mean, really? Why be soft on the students when they need to be prepared for the very real dangers that exist in the brutal, unjust and uncaring WW).
Your story is quite an achievement, and you ought to be proud.
Kralizec314 chapter 7 . 9/30
Define murder, Moody. If you're fighting a war, then it's killing, not murder. right? Or does the Wizarding War have different standards of conduct in regards to war? And aren't you a member of the Order of the Phoenix, which is essentially a vigilante organization? Every time you fight on Dumbledore's behalf, you're working outside the law.
Such hypocrisy!
Comrade'sRoza chapter 31 . 8/17
JarODirt chapter 31 . 7/13
Wow. An absolutely incredible story. I love love love your take on Rowling's world. It's absolutely brilliant and original. Snape is my favourite character and you definately treated him with respect. Thank you!
AngelMoon Girl chapter 31 . 6/27
Words cannot even begin to describe how hollow and empty I feel inside upon finally finishing this masterpiece. I haven't read this story in so many years, and when I came back, it was like reliving a favorite old dream. I could remember bits and pieces; moments that were so unique, so well-written, that they never truly left my consciousness. Some such memorables include Snape saving Harry's life with the Healer's Gamble, Harry falling all over Snape as he drunkenly spills his sorrows at having to sacrifice the Potions Master, Dumbledore safeguarding the school from the trolls, Harry's harrowing mental battle with Voldemort and the subsequent heart-rending peril on the cliff. You have a masterful talent with storytelling. The build up was breathtaking, the characters so in canon, the plot twists so believable, that at times I felt myself truly wishing that the books had gone down more like what you just imagined for us here. I cannot tell you how relieved I was when the ending saw everyone alive and intact - particularly Dumbledore and Snape, who so often fall victim to (a righteous but wholly unsatisfying) martyrdom. Instead, you gave us a miracle. It was SO gratifying to see EVERYONE enjoying the fruits of their hard-fought labor! Thanks for that!

I will reiterate what I said before in my other review - your Snape is hands down the best Snape I've ever read. I have NEVER seen him so fleshed out before. The mindscape was what truly allowed us to get a deeper look - it was brilliant planning on your part. I appreciate so much that no matter what, he never lost his snark, his ferocity, or his self flagellating nature - at least not until the time called for it! In the same vein, I don't think I have ever seen Harry characterized so perfectly, either. There were moments when his unwavering refusal to see Snape as anything but redeemable nearly brought a tear to my eye.

You did something truly beautiful here, Theowyn. You should be immensely proud of yourself for having written what is hands down one of the GREATEST Harry Potter fanfictions to ever grace this site. I standing ovate you! Should you ever find the inspiration to pen for the fandom once more - and God, I hope you do - I will be a loyal fangirl 'til the end! :)
Star-Nebula42 chapter 31 . 6/21
My goodness! I know its been several years since this was posted but, I just had to leave a review. This is certainly one of the best stories I have read to date. Thank for creating such a wonderful story!
The Other World chapter 31 . 6/19
I can't believe I've never come across your stories before. You're a talented writer, and you've kept both Harry and Snape in character while deviating slightly to make them your own, and you've done a marvelous job. Your story was both believable (often Harry Snape friendships aren't) and also intriguing to read. The focus on Occlumency and Legilimency was also really interesting and I like the way you developed the plot and incorporated DH (though you skipped the horcruxes and hallows - I liked your substitution!)
Thanks for this great contribution to the HP fandom. I hope you decide to write more.
InYuJi chapter 31 . 6/13
After reading this excerpt below, I was really happy. Extremely happy. Really smart of Harry to come to a decision of recruiting Snape to help train the Aurors. I'll say this. In these 2 stories, you still stayed true to the characters, and still kept the story just as enticing as JK Rowling did. Thank you for writing
InYuJi chapter 28 . 6/13
I have to say, this is definitely a different take on how Voldemort achieved the false prospect of immortality. Still involving souls, but with other people, rather than horcruxes. This still makes the situation even more despairing and upsetting, once he realizes that Snape will have to die.
Candlesonthetable chapter 31 . 6/4
These are great, more people should read them!
LotsofLot chapter 30 . 6/3
Yeah, read both stories again. And definitely worth reading more than once! They are just awesome.
GarnetMonsoon chapter 31 . 5/25

I just finished this one, and it's prequel. (I think I may have read them in the past, so it's possible that I've reviewed this. Still, I thought I'd give it a re-read.)

This is the ONLY fanfiction series I've ever read that perfectly captured Snape and Harry's personalities. At times, the rift between them seemed unbearably trying, but that's exactly how it should be. I've always thought that if these two ever got close, they would fight it tooth-and-nail. And, boy, DID THEY. The constant building and destroying of their ties was frustrating, but I know it was necessary. They were so human. In so many fanfictions, even the fights between two people who are close get resolved too quickly. In these stories, you drew them out, like with Harry breaking in Snape's office, or what he did in Snape's mind. And that was so well done, I can't even put it into words properly.

They had to fight to learn to trust one another, and in Snape's case, himself as well. Seriously, if you told me you had a Ph.D. in psychology, I wouldn't doubt it. You have an acute awareness of their emotions, and their frame of mind. They were complex and simple at the same time. Snape's constant back-and-forth behavior, his attempts to push Harry away, even though he really didn't want to. The way he couldn't understand why he didn't want to push Harry away. It seems so comlex, but you made it so simple. He didn't want to hurt Harry, and he didn't want to hurt himself. He was afraid to be vulnerable, because he thought that in the end, Harry couldn't accept him. Because Snape couldn't accept himself. Really, it's a masterpiece, and so very true to their characters.

Good job on keeping a good amount of Harry's temper and impulsiveness. So many times I see people write Harry to be very submissive, or too cunning, or too child-like. But this Harry was the Harry in the books. Yeah, he could be irrational and impulsive, and he could hurt people because he didn't think. He made mistakes, and he sometimes repeated his mistakes. But that's who Harry is. And so many people forget that Harry is just a regular kid who's desperately trying to stay afloat in a crazy world of magic and murder. You were able to keep the subtle nuances that make Harry who he is. Flawed at times, not really very special other than his enormous heart. That was the whole point of Harry Potter's character, and I hate when people try to make him something he's not by making him super-powerful, or taking away his greatest strength - his love. This is the focus of Harry's character, which you executed perfectly in your story.

You did a perfect job of capturing their mannerisms, and the development of their relationship was extremely realistic. I wish we could've seen a bit more of them post-Hogwarts!

But all in all, this is probably the best fanfiction out there. I know it's been years since you wrote this, but I just had to leave my two cents. Anyway, rant over, sorry if I rambled too much.
Sreejun chapter 31 . 5/21
I just finished reading both the fics today. And i have to say, this is one of the best fanfiction I've ever read. I know it's not exactly canon compliant but the characters are not OOC and the character development is perfect. Thank you for writing this fic and completing it.
Floorhv chapter 31 . 3/21
Amazing story! Remember how I send you a few days ago that I had read the prequel on this and I was curious for this story? You haven't let me down. However I am glad that there is a good end, I will miss coming home and going straight into reading this story. Excellent job you have done and good to hear that you still get reviews, and you even take the time to answer them. Just 1 question? Have you ever written books or has it always stayed with fan fiction? You got at least the talent. Thanks for writing this amazing story.