Reviews for The Stars In Thy Care
LoyaulteMeLie chapter 11 . 2/5
Horrible for the Disaster Twins to have had such a close call, but it was a lovely contrast to 'Shuttlepod One', where they had so little understanding of each other and as uet hardly any friendship.
too-much-inspiration chapter 11 . 9/2/2014
You can only toe the edge of oblivion or watch someone else toe that edge so many times before the pressing need to resolve long held circumstances stuck in limbo becomes too much to ignore. The drama was quite nice in this one, and good few friendship moments in between. Thank you for writing and posting this!
asearcher chapter 11 . 1/11/2011
Wow...what a great story. I loved it from start to finish...and you got everyone perfect.

Thanks for the read.
mudstalker chapter 11 . 1/6/2011
This was a great story! I loved all of your dialogue, even if the plot was reminiscent of "shuttle pod one." I'll have to check out your other stories.
b7-kerravon chapter 11 . 9/11/2007
Nice. I love the descriptions. I am slowly working my way through your longer works and becoming more and more convinced that I need to do some DVD shopping...
renestra-karay chapter 11 . 6/11/2007
Heya, I have really enjoyed reading your fic and hope you write more about Malcom and Trip, you express the dynamics between the two charectors very well and the last chapter was an excellent ending.

I want a spider called Siegfried.
Melethwen chapter 11 . 5/22/2007
Volley!

Yet again - brilliant!

Your fics get better and better and I always look forward to seeing you new fics :-)

This one was not a disappointment. It was great - excellent title as well!

I find your stories great and you really get in touch with the character - an highlight - the strange BUT wonderful friendship of 2 of the greatest star trek characters - Malcolm and Trip.

Thanks for sharing, keep it up :-)

Melethwen
Exploded Pen chapter 11 . 5/9/2007
Aww! That was sweet! Siegfried the spider? LOL yeah I can see that, after Stuart Reed kept bugs so why not pass on that to his son lol.

Great ending to a brilliant story!

:D

~*~Hannah~*~
Exploded Pen chapter 10 . 5/9/2007
First of all, apologies for reviewing this so late! I honestly would've earlier but for some reason my computer hasn't been letting me on ffnet the past few days luckily it is now (no idea why but hey I'm not gonna bite the hand that feeds me! lol)

brilliant chapter! Bless Malcolm's little cotton socks! Aww wanted to hug him muchly (and in the half dead state he was in he wouldn't be able to stun me lol)

Great chapter! Onward to the epilogue! :P

~*~Hannah~*~
JadziaKathryn chapter 11 . 5/7/2007
Haha! Siegfried is a great most precious possession, and that name is just perfect. I can see young Malcolm using it to great effect. Also, the parts about reaching out to his father are well done. Lovely all around.
Philippe de la Matraque chapter 11 . 5/7/2007
Nicely ended. I was worried for Malcolm there and wondering what he was babbling. I like the way you had Trip reveal that and that they got serious for a moment there in the mess. I wish I was able to imagine the characters' pasts the way you do. I just can't seem to get much beyond general facts or feelings. Thanks for a good read!
tripaholic chapter 11 . 5/7/2007
Hi Daniela,

You captured the Trip/Malcolm friendship in its relatively early stages perfectly with this fic, which I greatly enjoyed. It was a true pleasure to witness them becoming more intimately familiar with each other, learning about their respective childhoods, simply getting to know each other better as friends do. Therefore, I think their talk through the night sharing memories and thoughts was probably my favourite part of your fic. Besides, it felt natural and comfortable enough not to give away too early the influence of the energy bursts on their mental faculties – it was only in retrospect that I realized it was perhaps somewhat strange for Malcolm to be talking about himself like he did, and even fall asleep on his watch, although I did take notice of Malcolm’s unusual behaviour, but simply accepted it as the result of their mood and situation. In fact I felt that you built up the suspense very cleverly, which made the whole story immensely gripping. The switches between the scenes on Enterprise and on the planet worked beautifully as well, since I liked seeing the others’ reactions and found that reading about the search from their perspective added to the thrill. Moreover, it balanced the fic beautifully in that you were giving us a feel for the other characters without making it appear distracting.

Of course, the story plot reminded me very much of “Shuttlepod One” with some twists, but I think you successfully avoided to make it look like a mere warming-up of that episode. Frankly, if you hadn’t mentioned it yourself in your fic, I’m not even sure I would have noticed the parallels at first because I was so drawn into your story. However, I have to admit I wouldn’t have minded too much anyway, because that particular instalment happens to be one of my favourite episodes…

Having said that, I actually found it fun to compare your story with the episode, taking notes on how far Malcolm and Trip have progressed in their friendship. I don’t know whether this was your intent, but for me this aspect was the central theme, and I liked how you handled this very much, every little detail: Trip adopting some of Malcolm’s expressions, being genuinely curious about him, and still trying to feel his way around his friend; Malcolm being comfortable enough to tease Trip and open up to him, and, last but not least, Malcolm admitting to his friendship with Trip and using that as an argument not to be separated from him through the airlock. It was very nice to see Malcolm so honest with his feelings and thereby giving the one reason that would shut Trip up for certain in this matter.

I found all of this depicted believably, and accordingly it helped to understand the changes taking place within Malcolm. What’s more, you gave us a feel for the other characters as well without making it appear a distraction, and portrayed the development of Trip and Malcolm at this stage of their friendship in a subtle yet entirely convincing manner, making us see how they ended up as such close friends later on. Still, somehow you also managed to keep Malcolm’s character (and everybody else’s, at that) consistent with what we were shown on screen, yet developed a much more three-dimensional and satisfying image of him, which is what I generally love about your fics. For example, I loved the scene with Malcolm waking up in sickbay and, being confronted with Trip’s reaction, thinking he’s about to die. Despite the emotional undercurrent, this scene made me smile because I thought this to be very Malcolm-like.

Oh, and although this is but a very small detail, I want to mention I had fun reading about Trip taking the logical approach (when he had difficulties thinking straight, and later again when arguing with Malcolm) –T’Pol must have made more of an impression on him than he’d ever let on. Very nice! (However, it’s not that I think Trip is incapable of applying logic whenever necessary – after all, he’s chief engineer of a starship – but it was nevertheless amusing to hear him state it).

Finally, I think it was a good idea to have Malcolm and Trip (and Archer) have a talk some time later instead of immediately after their return, it served well to give us (and them) a feeling of closure, and of course the humorous note at the end helped, too. To sum it up, this was a highly enjoyable and extremely well-done piece of fanfic, Daniela, thank you for sharing this with us. I think I’ll never get enough of your Trip/Malcolm stories and I’m already looking forward to your next one, hopefully coming soon!

Take care,

Tripaholic
Romanse chapter 11 . 5/7/2007
What a WONDERFUL ending to this misadventure for Trip and Malcolm. There are so many things in this story that were so nicely done it's hard to remember them all.

Some of the things I particularly enjoyed was of course, the excellent interaction between Trip and Malcolm, in a dangerous situation that was very interesting and presented in such a realistic, believable manner. I so enjoyed seeing how they reacted as things got worse by the minute and they realized that they would most likely die. I liked the many references to the events of Shuttlepod One and how far they had come since then.

I very much love a story where the author has skillfully blended hurt/comfort, adventure, and friendship or romantic relationship elements together. In this story, we get to enjoy the friendship between our boys and we also get to gain a deeper understanding of Malcolm's past by having some of his childhood revealed.

The final chapter was such a gem. Things came full circle, and Malcolm was set to take some affirmative steps towards healing the emotional rift between himself and his father. Very lovely!

Overall, I enjoyed this story very much. If I had a magic wand, however, I would wave it over the section that has Malcolm wake up from his coma so soon. Because I enjoy the long, hard road to recovery, I would have extended this story by about 5 more chapters to have Malcolm deal with some serious, but temporary health issues. Why? Because this story is enjoyable and I want to stay in an enjoyable story for as long as possible and feel every last drop of angst, pain and suffering an elite writer can dish out. LOL - true h/c junkies love the happy ending - we just want to be dragged through hell first to get there! : )
Glory1863 chapter 11 . 5/7/2007
I can definitely see little Malcolm with his prized spider. I don't have kids, but I have a brother and a nephew, so I thought all little boys went through a "creepy-crawly" phase - I just don't remember if it's before or after the "dinosaur/T. rex phase". I can see him having a real pet spider - small, quiet, low maintenance, easy to hide from Dad who probably doesn't approve of pets. Teddy bear? Too bland - more likely a plush lion (Aslan from the "Chronicles of Narnia" perhaps) or a tiger (Shere Khan from "The Jungle Book" comes to mind) since it seems to be the consensus that Malcolm is a cat person. Loved his choice of movies - they ought to be real crowd pleasers such that Trip won't get any grief - another example of the small things Trip and Malcolm do to look after one another. I enjoyed the glimpses into Malcolm's childhood and the gentle care the boys show one another behind all the teasing and grousing.
Sita Z chapter 11 . 5/6/2007
Siegfried? Oh well, I can see Malcolm having a rubber spider instead of a teddy bear like normal, I mean, *other* children. Trip's reaction was hilarious; poor guy, he gave up six movies to get the mental image of Malcolm cuddling a spider.

The entire story was very well done and enjoyable to read; my favorite bits were the childhood memories and the references to Malcolm's relationship with his father. Very good way of ending the story, BTW.

Thank you for sharing, and I hope we get another fic soon!