Reviews for Bad Blood
LAG0802 chapter 17 . 7/6/2014
Just found this story, I think (Edith Pargeter) Ellis Peters would be proud, I have read all the books. Nice job, glad I found this story.
johnwcowan chapter 4 . 4/28/2014
I'm following this piece with interest. "None", however, should be "Nones". And "For God's sake" was far too strong and literal an oath for Hugh to use to Cadfael, and if meant literally, it's both inappropriate and out of character for Hugh.
Marc chapter 17 . 11/15/2009
Thank you. Good stories. Great to see cadfael in action.
Alfonsina.d chapter 1 . 6/29/2009
I love Cadfael. thank you for keeping him and his friends alive for me!
Susan Taylor chapter 17 . 1/31/2009
I have just finished my first reading of your story and am amazed at how close you have come to the Ellis Peters style. I'll keep an eye out for others you write here. Keep up the good work.
Candia chapter 1 . 10/29/2008
In Welsh language schools you are taught Welsh as a first language and all your lessons, appart from English , Science and Maths (although some schools in the North also include these) are taught in Welsh. Some scools, especially in the South only teach it as a second language, but many poeple speak it at home. I don't, as my parents aren't Welsh, but I went to Welsh schools, and when you're 4 you pick up a language pretty easily. :-)

Nit-picking again; There is no such thing as V in the Welsh language, we use a single F instead, so Vychan' name would be Fychan (which insidentally means little-very appropriate!) Also some trivia, this means Cadfael is pronounced cad-vile!
Candia chapter 17 . 10/28/2008
Wow, I wasn't expecting you to change them! Welsh isn't quite a dead language, quite a lot of people in Wales speak both Welsh and English, and especially in the North there are a lot of people who are much more comfortable with Welsh than English. I never trust online translators myself, although I do use them occasionally. There are so many things I love about your stories, such as the relationship between Hugh and Cadfael, and Cadfael and Olivier (although there were several occasions I just wanted to shout "Tell him already!" at Cadfael. :-) I was brought up in Wales, and went to Welsh schools, so I consider myself Welsh.
Candia chapter 13 . 10/28/2008
I love this story! In fact I love all your Cadfael stories. Please write more! I have only one small criticism however. In chapter 13 you use some Welsh, and while not technically incorrect, it isn't what most people would say (although as I am from the South, and Cadfael is from the North, he would speak a slightly different form of Welsh from me.) For instance "I don't speak Welsh" would probably be "Dwy ddim yn siarad Cymraeg". "areithia" can mean speak, but it's more like a formal speech rather than just talking. And "I don't have time to speak now" could be "Mae na ddim amser i fi siarad nawr" (which directly translates as "there isn't time to talk now"), or "Dwy ddim gyda amser i siarad nawr" (which is a more diect translation but is a little clumsy to say). Sorry to be so nit-picky, I love the fact you have any Welsh in you story at all! So many people forget that part of Cadfael's character.
Lizzie chapter 17 . 7/4/2008
I adored every moment of this and just had to let you know. Your characterisations were impeccable and I loved the interplay between Hugh and Cadfael. You portrayed their friendship beautifully. Thank you so much for writing this. Good Cadfael is so hard to find :D
Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 17 . 8/21/2007
Do me a favour and post the other chapters you've written so far of your other Cadfael fic. This one is lovely and it really catches the atmosphere of the books and between the characters! I'm looking forward to read your sequel to this, especially with me moving home to near the real Shrewsbury in October... )
Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 17 . 8/20/2007
A very tidy ending to this wonderful story! You've mastered the art of the ten-million sub-plot story, a tradition begun by the great Ellis Peters! I loved your intricate descriptions and good use of Welsh; do you speak it, or did you use a translator? Either way, it was efficiently used and didn't seem tacky, as the use of foreign languages in some fanfictions tends to.

All in all, it was a very well done, high quality fanfiction. This is deffinitely going on my favorites list!
Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 12 . 8/20/2007
Well crap. That sucks! Why is it that Hugh and Cadfael always get the short end of the stick?

"It had probably not been changed for some time - then again, in the winter straw was too expensive to waste on prisoners, when there were horses and cattle to be fed."

For me, it's the mundane, worldly descriptions of everyday life and culture that flesh out a story and make it believable. Wonderful job!
Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 11 . 8/20/2007
"As always, Brother, you amaze me! Perhaps you should be deputy sheriff, after all. You always seem to get to the solution before I do."

Ah, Beringer hits the nail on the head yet again! And thank you, by the way, for giving the damn horse some credit for once! No one ever remembers the horse!

Again, a lovely chapter, very true to Cadfael, all characterizations in order!
Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 10 . 8/20/2007
Ha! The final solving of this mystery was very Cadfael-esq, if that's even a word! Awesome chapter, sorry it's taken me so long to get to it.

This is TrappedInDreams by the way, from LJ! Thanks for the comments on my sketches, you have good insight!
Animated Crime chapter 1 . 8/18/2007
I am so happy someone has done a Cadfael! I love the first books and the TV series, and it didn't even occur to me there would be fanfiction. Great choice of material!

I haven't gotten very far, but it's good so far. I will read and review more thoroughly when I have more time. But so far (for the first chapter), my comments are:

Good characterisation of the canon characters. Except for Hugh who is a little bit too impatient to start off with - I know he is not the most patient character, but I doubt he would be in a panic to hear what the mission was while the Lord was explaining why he had sought out Cadfael. A bit too soon.

I liked your inclusion of the details on the monk schedule and lifestyle. Reminds me a lot of the actual books, which is a good thing.

Your preamble was a bit abrupt, as in Cadfael's debriefing and preparations. Usually, Cadfael being a careful monk, he would find out more and choose important things to bring before setting out. It seems to me that you're just really anxious to get into the action!

But quibbles: it's off to a good start!