Reviews for Vows
jerricho chapter 8 . 2/4/2013
well Tolkien another great story. will you ever right about what happens to elros and Elrond? (living with gil galad and the choice of what kindred) I would love to read it from your pov.
Kingsdaughter613 chapter 8 . 8/31/2012
Great job. Sniffles at the ending. Poor Maglor... I really loved this story. Keep writing!
Fortune Zyne chapter 8 . 3/5/2012
And forever more did Maglor wander the shores of the world, singing of sorrow...
darkdranzer chapter 8 . 4/16/2009
omg that was so sad the ending. althogh i know what happens, the way you wrote it makes you really really feel for maglor and the feanorians. T_T i really really want to belive that maglor eventually ends up in valinor, becaue i like happy ending...but i love the way you ended this..althoguh it was so so sos sad. .
BasilAbdef chapter 7 . 3/30/2009
You write very well, but a couple things bug me.

1) Why would Elros/Elrond willingly accept Maglor as their guardian when they got older, especially knowing that Feanor's sons were directly responsible for slaughtering their family (twice too!) and destroying their kingdom?

2) Why the sudden shift in naming styles in chapter 6?
geek-chick chapter 8 . 6/21/2007
I didn't have a chance to log on to this site for several weeks, so I am just now reading the rest of your story. Excellent work! I especially love the last chapter, you did a great job of tying everything up and relating everything to your theme, with Maglor reflecting on how he had broken all of his promises. The reactions of the brothers when they finally recovered the jewels was great - Maedhros going mad, obviously, and Maglor still deeply affected by the jewels (perhaps a little crazy since he won't even talk to Morion) but still able to keep enough of his sanity to realize the Oath was fulfilled and to throw the Silmaril away. (I agree with the reviewer who said maybe raising Elrond and Elros gave him a little more perspective and prevented him from going completely mad when he got the Silmaril - I like that idea!) When you look at the story as a whole, you can really see how Maglor changed from a happy youth in Valinor to a desparate Kinslayer. I also like how even though Maglor survived, you didn't make the ending too happy - it was very believable. Great job!
AC2 chapter 8 . 6/12/2007
I never thought you would be able to grasp the nettle that is the "reality" of what it is to be a Kinslayer. It's so much easier to hide behind a jar of treacle and just deny it, or mitigate it in some way, in order to make your characters more sympathetic. I salute you, French Pony - you did what you found difficult to do, and in the process became a better writer. I want to be as good as you. Perhaps one day I will. Thank you for inspiring me.
Ellfine chapter 8 . 6/12/2007
Exquisite! Very well done. Very bitter sweet and beautiful and healing in the resolution.
Ivanolix chapter 8 . 6/12/2007
The beginning seemed too fluffy for the brothers at this point, but I loved what happens after Maedhros dies, and especially the description of Maglor singing.
Ivanolix chapter 7 . 6/6/2007
A very enjoyable and plausible chapter! I loved the bittersweet ending to this story, and especially how raising the boys has healed Maglor's soul to some extent, while Maedhros remains entirely under the Oath.
Ellfine chapter 7 . 6/6/2007
How heart-wrenching and sad! It's hard to read through tears. Poor twins and poor Maglor! nicely written and very sad...
AC2 chapter 7 . 6/5/2007
Glory HALLELUJAH! This is what I have been waiting for two chapters for! I wanted to see an honest account of the effects of the kinslaying on the brothers - a sign of the guilt and shame that would surely have worn away and warped their natural feelings and here we have finally been given a glimpse.

An entirely natural response to the situation from a teenage boy who clearly hasn't accepted the horrors Maedhros is capable of inflicting on his own kind.

Again, naturalism in the response to the situation and its emotional impact. This is CREDIBLE. This is what I was ranting about in my review of the last chapter - it lacked the credibility that this one has.

This desire for catharsis reminds me of those Reconciliation Committees that they had in South Africa for dealing with the aftermath of the Apartheid regime. There is a similar movement in Northern Ireland now - Desmond Tutu is involved - to deal with the aftermath of the Troubles. The events described in the passage above are exactly the kind of thing that happen in these meetings - people are more interested in getting at the truth than in exacting revenge. I wonder if you used accounts of this kind of thing to inspire your story. I would love to know what you used for your research - because your knowledge and understanding are shining through here.

Finally,

I am SO going to try that!

Great job, dear, I am really looking forward to more.
IVIaedhros chapter 7 . 6/5/2007
Dang it, this story makes dread appearances by my namesake. Well done as always.
AC2 chapter 6 . 5/29/2007
It's sweet and fluffy, but I'm disappointed that you're not tackling the Kinslaying and the aftermath. Maglor is sad that he has lost his twin brothers - wasn't that while they were busily killing people the young twins knew? If this is true, would the twins not be afraid of the surviving sons of Feanor? Their clothes are stained with blood, but they're not even in shock.

Maglor should have a more complex relationship with the kids - they're not a pair of unwanted kittens thrown in a ditch and he thinks they're cute - there's a history with their family - remember Elurin and Elured? (Okay that was a servant of Maedhros) He's got a boatload of guilt from the last Kinslaying incident underpinning his decision to take the twins on.

I must say, you write fluff very well, much better than I can, but I really do wish you were able to face the ugly side of your protagonists instead of shying away from it. If you could bring yourself to deal with their crimes, you would bring depth to your story. As it is, you're not even telling their side of the story - you're just glossing over the bits you don't like. The result is that the story has an unnatural sheen like the one you see on wax fruit. It looks fake. This is not intended to be a flame - you are on my favourites list after all - but an attempt to remind you of stuff you have overlooked. When I do something in a story that makes you feel like I do now, I'd appreciate you doing the same for me.

Respectfully,

Wendy
Ellfine chapter 6 . 5/29/2007
Beautiful chapter! So emotional and yet so endearing. Maglor finally has his little children that he always wanted - even if it is without his beloved wife.

I absolutely loved the following line: "Maglor smiled and began a long ballad about the romance of Elw√ę and Melian, a subject certain to lull small children to sleep."

This is such a wonderful tale. Well done as usual!