Reviews for Rules
neverXmind chapter 18 . 9/6
A little fast paced, but good story nonetheless
ascendedlight chapter 18 . 4/9
omg this story is so amazing and sad and perfect! I love it so much and yay for L being alive again cthe drama is too much for my poor heart to handle though XD) tnx for such a nice story :3
Mjansikka chapter 17 . 1/30
I could actually see L agreeing to killing Kira even if it meant killing Light. Because, to both Light and L, the world is more important than a single person, whereas Misa loves Light more than the world. But yeah, L would probably prefer Light not dying but rather admitting being wrong and giving up being Kira.
Guest chapter 7 . 5/20/2015
Please dont tell me that this is yet ANOTHER fic where L is gay...
No. Just... No.
LucidInk chapter 18 . 6/2/2014
I was skeptical at first to if I would like this story based on the general idea, but you have executed it wonderfully and made it so enjoyable.

I love how you match the canon characters personalities completely, I love your own characters and how they interact with Light and Elijah, and I completely fell for this gorgeously written storyline. Thank you for writing and sharing this amazing fanfic, it brought a lot of smiles and laughs.

You are an incredible writer!
OstensiblyInsane chapter 13 . 9/18/2013
I haaaate really happy stories like this one... but the plot is amazing! HELP I'M TRAPPED'

Also, you spelled brunette as brunet in chapter ten. Not sure if that's correct where you live, though.
Creature chapter 10 . 7/11/2013
I wasn't going to bother with the cypher at first, until I saw the points about how some people have gotten it. So, I started it and the answer is.
Not telling!
Anyways. Nice plot device. Can't wait to see how it comes out as I read more.
Guest chapter 18 . 3/22/2013
I love it! Very well written!
TheOneWhoRulesThemAll chapter 18 . 8/23/2012
Time to read risks and rewards! I am enjoying this new L. Elijah is much more fun while still keeping in L's character - idiosyncrasies.
WhiteLadyDragon chapter 18 . 8/1/2012
B. Asterfield recommended that I read this fanfic as well as its sequel. I just finished “Rules” and am on my way to start “Risks and Rewards,” but before I do, I wanted to send you a review.

On “Rules”…I will say that you have a good storytelling style. You have a way of describing things that paints a vivid picture in my mind: the characters, actions, thoughts. Your OCs are all fairly fleshed out, so far. In particular, I think my favorite was Julie. Watari may have been somewhat of a parental figure for L, but I doubt he was too strict when it came to discipline. He seems more like a doting grandparent who spoils kids rotten. Julie may very well be the parental figure that L/Elijah needed: someone who loves and accepts him, but still disciplines him with a gentle hand, even if over little things such as eating right and correcting his posture and socializing with people.

And I for one am happy that you chose to keep the whole L/Light relationship platonic. I don’t support the pairing; at best, I could see them as vitriolic best beds, and that’s assuming that any feelings of friendship they had between them were real (which, according to Ohba, they were not).

That being said, there are a few things about the story I didn’t quite agree with. The biggest issue was the matter of the characterization of the canon characters. Admittedly, it is hard to take someone else’s characters and develop them further without completely stripping them of the nuts and bolts that make them who they are. I can see that you have tried to maintain that balance, but you sort of tapered off in that area towards the end of the story. I feel that there was too much fluff and not enough of that twisted rivalry, where Light and L’s relationship was concerned. Individually, both Light and L teetered back and forth between OOC and IC, which I found frustrating. L especially became less and less of the dirty badass mo-fo that I fell in love with and still find intriguing. You could argue that since L was reincarnated as a different person, his personality may have to be altered somewhat as well, but…perhaps you made his transition into a more appreciative and emotional sort too fast? He still liked to mess with people, particularly Light, but he never did anything especially heinous, or at least morally questionable, like what he does in canon. Well, except perhaps the running away thing, but it didn’t take that much to bring him back.

I personally think that as two guys who are so used to getting what they want and to getting away with doing whatever it takes to get what they want, they would be more inclined to learn a lesson through encountering a situation where they DON’T get what they want. But that’s just me.

That, and several things about the story didn’t make a lot of sense to me.

1) The matter of Heaven, in general. It contradicts the canon cosmology considerably. It has been said that all humans will eventually die, and when they do, they go to Nothingness, implying that there is no afterlife. You only get one chance at life, and once you’ve used that up, game over. Yet one of the Death Note rules say that a human who uses the Death Note cannot go to Hell or Heaven when they die, which implies that there IS in fact an afterlife, but humans forfeit that when they use Death Notes. I can’t help but wonder if this contradiction was put here on purpose just to make us fans argue about it (among other things). Anyway, I don’t really see L as the type deserving to be in Heaven. While he may not necessarily be bad enough for Hell, he’s just done too many things that make me more inclined to believe he’d be in Purgatory, instead, paying his dues. Besides, I don’t see him as the type to believe in Heaven, in the first place.

You mentioned that he was allowed back to life because he was “unhappy.” That he longed for things such as a family. Well, it isn’t clear how much of his former life he remembers, but he could have had a family in the task force. They certainly stood by each other like they were family, but for the most part he treats them as inferiors. Maybe that’s the point you were trying to make, that a lot of L’s feeling of unhappiness was self-created? Or is it the fact that he still had desires the problem? According to Buddhism, the religion you think L might follow, life is a never-ending cycle of birth, suffering, death, rebirth and more suffering. The cause of suffering is ignorance and worldly desires, and through overcoming ignorance and renouncing desires, the person can escape the endless cycle of life and become nothingness, or nirvana.

And what business is it of Heaven’s to have for Kira to be gone? Will it undo the damage Kira has done to Light’s soul and to the world at large? We were given free will; what we choose to do is up to us, but we should at least be willing to accept whatever consequences our actions produce.

2) Light. He comes here to America as an exchange student, when in canon he finishes college so he can become a member of the Japanese police force and take over as L. Is this part of his education so as to earn his degree? Given that he takes Julie’s class, which is criminal psychology, that may have to be the case.

3) Ryuk. He didn’t show up much, maybe towards the beginning of the story, but after that, he’s not mentioned or heard from again. How did he get from Japan all the way to America when he’s supposed to be with the owner of his notebook at all times? Unless Light just loaned Misa his Death Note and is still technically the owner. And what about the deal he and Light made? The one where, when his time comes, Ryuk will write Light’s name in his own notebook? If he stops being entertaining to him…

I think that’s about it. I’m off to see “Risks and Rewards” now! Hopefully, these concerns will have been addressed in the sequel, no?
GodsOfDeathLikeApples chapter 1 . 3/14/2012
"In winter, I will be cold." That one line made me burst into uncharacteristic giggles for a minute or two. Loving this so far!
Terradoll chapter 12 . 1/12/2012
This chapter has succeeded in making me cry. I'm usually very touched by family scenes, so this was beautiful. I loved chapter 11 and 10 too. They were funny, with elijah and light watching tv upside down. The chair was definetly a great part of this chapter, and the last line was perfect.
RubyRose813 chapter 18 . 11/14/2011
OMG~! I love this! I actually cried... somewhere in chapter 14-16... sooo sad :(( But so awesome~
Guest chapter 2 . 10/16/2011
Elijah is L? Is he aware of that? Why is he in America, instead of Winchester?

~ Kira did not consider "insanity" to be a defense.

So Light still supports Kira?

So both L and Light remember? And the world remembers L and Kira? But the world, unlike them, doesn't know Elijah is L and Light is Kira?

Light, if you consider your mind as superior,

Then I have to sadly conclude it is inferior,

Because the world has no shining knight

To save innocent people from evil fright,

Because the world isn't black-and-white,

No person is completely wrong or right,

Nobody is perfect, every human makes some mistakes,

Perfection would be boring and therefore not perfect,

The world is subjective, each action has many angles,

Just let's be reflective: each, any compulsion mangles

A person's life and will, freedom of choice it strangles.

It's quite impossible to solve all in the world riddles,

For human's mind gives questions before finding answers,

For neither psychology nor chance nor exact science

Can ever be finite, limited, without surprise,

For there will never be seen a sunrise,

When everything is known to humans.

Not because humans are stupid or weak,

But because there is always more to seek,

To know, to analyze, to create and destroy,

For humans aren't a peaceful or restful folk.
8D chapter 18 . 9/24/2011
Oh mon dieu, at the first chapter, I thought this would be one of those boring cliché reincarnation stories but you changed my mind completely! You managed to pull at my heartstrings, you sly author.

Ahhhhh, off to read the sequel to what made me dropped a few tears! :'D