Reviews for Erlkönig
labellily chapter 3 . 10/30
I just want you to know that I'm rereading this for the first time in like, years, because this TERRIFIED me the first time i read it but TIS THE SEASON happy halloween
IndigoBirds chapter 16 . 9/29
This. Wow. This was really an interesting piece. Truly captivating and terrifying at the same time.

This web you've woven was absolutely breathtaking. Jareth's anger with Sarah, his persistance and obsession with consuming her, was a tour de force on your part. Though the whole time you get the feeling that her resistance to him is absolutely futile.

I feel like the case you've built in favor of Jareth was so compelling, that by the time he possesses her, and takes her, as the reader you WANT him to do it. All the while Sarah protests, you feel like wishing she was sinking deeper into the warm bath and allowing her fears and anger to melt away from her and to allow him to wrap her in himself and let it be done.

His mockery of her anger is so fitting, and yet in the end her anger at what he's done... You've almost worn me down to the point where I've decided she should just accept it.

However, this is one thing I am not totally clear on; did she die? (For all his posturing, I wasn't sure if Jareth was being serious or not, or if Sarah's mother also died as well, bringing her back to reality). Just curious.
Tata-Fox chapter 16 . 9/1
Very mysterious and confusing... and slightly beyond my english ability to truely enjoy. Feels like being caught in a whirlpool. Understanding yet not really understanding.
PrettyWithAPistol chapter 16 . 7/24
Incredible. I felt so much and, at the same time, nothing at all. I saw the truth illuminated in flashes of insight and minute unveiling. Just the same, I knew despair and danger lurking within each shifting shadow and glinting tooth seeking to devour Sarah just as soundly as each would overwhelm and mystify me as the reader.

This was an amazing read, all in all. My only critiques lie within a few fumbles over syntactic and grammatical errors and again in the muddier moments of the convoluted detailing and subtlety of each of Sarah's realities. I suppose, that may add to the elements of "the unknown" within a tale that alludes and evades with each frightening lure of mystery...but it can also be a bit confusing at times and leave too much insubstantiality.

Still, a fantastic read and just what I was searching for.
Anyway, I wish you well on your next endeavors (in writing, or elsewhere) and I look forward to all your future works!
Oh. My. God.
Reading this, and listening to Mozart's Requiem together made my body hair permanently freeze.
Lady Knight of VT chapter 16 . 5/23
I gave in to the urge. Read another one of your works. Probably going to read the rest although if they're anything like this and "In a Glass," I'm just torturing myself. This one didn't give me chills, and I was expecting the horror/suspense of it so I was a little more on my guard. Even then it took me longer than I realized to catch on that she was dying. I still had a small part wishing desperately for a happy-ever-after, but that would have ruined this. Don't add anymore; leave it just as it is (although considering how long it's been since this was posted I'm sure you've already made that decision). I feel if you were to properly continue this thread, it would end with her still dead, still trapped with him, and better to just leave it as it is now where a part of her might still have a thread of hope of escape. If we're honest with ourselves we know there's no hope for triumph, but if we're honest we have to make her face the truth as well and I'd rather not. This one didn't grab my brain and give me goosebumps like "In a Glass" did but my heart actually ached with sorrow on the last few chapters. There was no crying...I do that sometimes if a fic is written well enough to make me feel like I personally know the character they're doing unspeakable things to or killing off. This was more of a heart-wrenching anguish similar to when you've finally accepted that a real blood-and-bone friend/relative is lost to you. I felt more like the stars in this story than the urge to weep and wail. You certainly have a way with words. You also seem to have a direct line to our deepest emotions, not just the ones we hold on our sleeve as we read a piece of fiction.
Now I'm off to see if you have ANYTHING that doesn't make me turn on all the lights in my house like IAGD or ache for the loss of a fictional life like this one. Don't be offended by that; I'm just naturally more bubbly with a bit of darkness, and these types of stories make that dark grow. Annnnd I guess if I'm being honest, a piece of me (I'm blaming that darkness that's hollering MORE MORE) is really kind've hoping that the rest of your stuff is similar to this. Oh that's another thing! This and IAGD were both so dark and convoluted yet SO different. I've noticed sometimes it's really hard for authors to achieve that (heck, it's hard for me to do it sometimes); often they just turn out to be almost the same story over and over. Not so with yours!
WorldInvent chapter 1 . 5/8
Goodness I just read this again. I have to say Jareth as such a bad guy is truly unnerving. As a fellow writer, I have never been able to do that to him. He's always been the bad boy, but a general heart of gold just needs the right woman sort of thing. This was very well done.
lykiana chapter 8 . 4/21
This story is amazing, I'm in love already!
HuntressXHunter chapter 14 . 3/24
Damn
Deaconicas chapter 14 . 1/18
Man this is chilling, and fantastic! Your descriptions are beautiful and I can feel Sarah's descent into madness (or at least irrationality). I love how seamlessly you wove the poem with the story of Sarah and Jareth, and your interpretation of the Underground not as just another out of the way fae realm but the Underworld, it's almost like Hades and Persephone now that I think about it. I also love how you portrayed Jareth as a king reluctant in love, hating Sarah too much to take away her pain and suffering, but at the same time loving her too much to hurt her forever. It reminds me of a quote I read once, just because you hate someone does not mean you have stopped loving them. This story embodies it! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story, you are a wonderful writer and I can't wait to read more of your writings.
Guest chapter 16 . 12/30/2016
This gave me so many shivers. It really brings out a darker side of Jareth- I like your explanation for why the labyrinth had been so friendly to her (relatively speaking).
Taran-Wanderer chapter 1 . 11/22/2016
So, I realize you probably don't spend much time here anymore, but I wanted to tell you that I love this story so much, I revisit it at least once a year. And not the 'Oh, I'm super into labyrinth fanfic at the moment and I remember I this one' revisit, but the 'Oh, I remeber this spectacular bit of writing and I want to relive it' kind of revisit. Seriously, it's ensnaring and haunting and twisted and beautiful and I'm so so grateful that you shared this. So thanks. Seriously. Lots of love, M.
Guest chapter 16 . 7/7/2016
Ok, wow that was dark... and you certainly tapped into the not-so-happy tailes/myths stories there. Artfully done though. And it left an impression - not sure I *like* that dark twist on the pairing but it certainly had an impact.

Also - are you familiar with myth/tale of Undine?
Somehow that would fight the mood here... I realize you won't pick this story up but that is something that could fit.
OtherworldlyStarlight chapter 1 . 3/25/2016
Hi, I haven't started reading yet so I cannot comment on the content. Just wanted to let you know that your German is wrong.
"Does this fearful form fascinate you?" translates to
"Reizt Dich diese schreckliche Gestalt?" or maybe "Reizt Sie diese schreckliche Gestalt?"
I would use the first version though as the second one is the very polite form of speaking.
I also would use "schreckliche Gestalt" as ängstlich implies that the speaker is afraid and not imposing the fear.
Melita chapter 1 . 3/17/2016
I liked the idea of Jareth being a darker elemental force, I can accept the development of events, but I totally disliked the way you described it. Sorry.
Description of a rape in such detail does not agree with me, because that's what it essetially was, if I understand your interpretation right and if Sarah feels in your story the way she feels, because I do not feel ANY partiality on her behalf (when she is by her senses) in relation to Jareth. And her under Jareth's spell and in her right mind are totally disconnected.
That is what bothers me - Sarah's abrupt plunge in sheer terror (at least that is what I get from your description), when she meets Jareth for the first time.