Reviews for Erlkönig
Cordite Quill chapter 16 . 6/29/2009
Just read it all and gotta say, love the dark Jareth. *shudder* So deliciously wicked. Excellent portrayal, plus I enjoyed all the references to mythology, etc.
Aurora Rosewind chapter 2 . 6/18/2009
I had to look up the song while I read this. It really did send shivers through me! Whew!

I simply adored your writing. It was a lovely enchanting chapter. I can only imagine the enchant to grow.
Aurora Rosewind chapter 1 . 6/18/2009
I was just going to skim through this after clicking on a link on Deviantart... but I was sucked in! Entranced!

That was ridiculously beautiful. Your writing is enchanting, even in such a real setting.

Though I think that's soon to change...

~continues reading~
jen2137 chapter 16 . 6/15/2009
Fabulous, dark, scentilating , unique and completely consuming!
FoxyGeek chapter 6 . 6/13/2009
This story is absolutely AMAZING so far.. it's 4am.. and i need to wake up early tomorrow. GAh! but I can't stop reading!

Simply brilliant!.. I'm in Love with your Jareth.. He's simply Perfect..
ButterflyOfLothlorien chapter 16 . 6/4/2009
You are truly a brilliant writer with a gift for the frightening.

I look forward to reading your other works... once i gain the courage to stop hiding behind my personally preferred snarky-but-lovely Jareth (who i promptly ran back to after finishing this).

Brilliant.

But deeply disturbing and nightmare-inducing.

Much respect to you, your writing style and sincerely Evil-with-a capital-E Jareth.
Thera Menders chapter 16 . 5/19/2009
I think I've said this before, but you're pure genius. I was so emotionally caught up in this fic that, for the second or third time reading this, it will sit and stew in my mind for days. I will be torn, both hating and loving Jareth and trying to figure out how Sarah could have gotten out of her problem. My first thought was, "give him another gift!" (the words she spoke the first time, when she captured his heart were written by an author, and words have power, so she could have re-written the story like a spell, particularly now that she shares in Jareth's power. She could say something like "and then he was able to forget the girl he loved, and it brought him peace" thus eliminating his driving desire to have her, both because he had been spelled into loving her and because he hated her for doing such a thing.)

OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS STORY! There was so much imagery in it, such creative strangeness that the Jareth in this story has become the most believable Fair/Elven King I've ever come across. He seems to be the old tales reborn, but so much more real. I grew up on the OLD fairy tales, and classical music, so having that background this fic is just a pure delight. So dark, like Grimm, and with such color. Geez, I should really stop praising you before you get a big head, but REALLY. OMG. I will probably come back and read it again, not even necessarily because I liked the way it ended, but because it is such a work of art that it deserves to be enjoyed again and again (boy, that sounds like a Disney commercial...ew).

Jareth...he is a mystery, and at the same time, pure evil...GAH! I'm obsessed. Seriously, have you written anything more? This should be a classic, but alas, it's a fanfiction! Have you ever published anything? Contact me! Please!
AutumnBlitz chapter 16 . 5/15/2009
I thought this story was really interesting!

I'm a rather large fan of the Erl-King myths, stories, et c. and in fact chose to study it as one of my own choice works in my english literature coursework

so seeing it combined with Labyrith, well - it was quite a surprise!

But I must say, you've done it wonderfully, and exceeded all of my expectations

you gave it that dark, slightly disturbing and unsettling feel that the poem by Goethe and indeed, the original folk tale gives to the reader

and I really quite enjoyed it!

Thanks for writing it :)

x
tikimoof chapter 2 . 5/5/2009
Oh wow. Words cannot express the glee I felt upon reading this! I was thinking I could get through the reading without forcing myself to listen to the song along with it on repeat (oddly enough, I've had the Terfel version for years), but your description of the song forced me back into it. It's wonderful!

But that's not the main focus of the fic, I suppose. Er. I like the idea of a classically-focused Toby (or child in general, I suppose).

I'm sorry for not giving a more comprehensive or helpful review, but I love your story. Absolutely beautiful! Eine wunderschöne Geschichte, und ich hoffe, dass der Rest auch gut ist!
quitetrueindeed chapter 16 . 5/1/2009
This story was beautifully done. I just can't get over the fact of how abusive Jareth is. I can't believe a story was truly able to make me hate the Goblin King. I would never, ever want her to stay with someone so horrible. We put women in protective services to hide from men like this. We put those guys in jail. Seriously that was some crazy psychological shit he was putting her through and rape? damn. I am so glad you did not take the route of her falling in love with him despite his behavior. I hate stories like that. I have to go read a good Jareth now. Great writing :D
Beckoning.Disaster chapter 16 . 4/19/2009
Can I just say that I think this is one of the best stories I've ever read?

I don't think I can say anymore than that and... thank you. This was magnificent.
Madartiste chapter 16 . 4/10/2009
Phew! I'm not even sure where to begin other than to say this was awesomely creepy and beautifully written. I loved the portrayal of Jareth as the Elf King. The sort of eerily capricious and not entirely human behavior suited him dreadfully well. Bravo!
darknessintwilight chapter 16 . 4/4/2009
I loved this story, it was incredibly dark and seductive and though I like the idea of a kinder Jareth, your dark Jareth took my breath away. Incredible writing and I love your storytelling style. Amazing job!
PersephonalPomegranate chapter 16 . 3/25/2009
Dear lord. You are an amazing writer, but you've used it in the most cruel of ways.

I have never been a fan of dark Jareth, at least ACTUALLY dark Jareth (because the original Labyrinth story is a lighthearted coming-of-age story to me) and THIS...this was absolutely horrifying for me. The entire story was so beautifully and terrifyingly written, the repetition and the confusion and the hopelessness made me feel the same nausea Sarah must've felt, as well as frustration that she never did anything to save herself. Jareth, eternally bound to her, loving her in a most horrible way, was frightening to me. He showed no pity, no sympathy, and did not allow her any hope beyond his obsessive love (all of these things strike a chord deep within me. To think of any human-like being not demonstrating these things in the face of a terrified young girl is just...) By the end of it, I was desperately wishing Sarah had chosen to be with him at the beginning, like all happy fairy tales, so as not to have gone through the horrible process of becoming his - and unwillingly, at that. Perhaps that says alot about me. Perhaps the most terrifying of all aspects of this story was the fact that she lost her memory - and with such precious time to break the spell, I just wanted to scream at her everything she needed to know.

This is the first time I have ever been sickened by the thought of Jareth. He is incredibly beautiful,impossibly in love with her, and a ruler of magic - but all of these create a terrible nightmare which you have so artfully developed. Sarah, a mere mortal, has no hope against him, and it made me feel sickened. She was so powerless! Imagining being in her place, I couldn't have gone on as long as she - I would've broken down into miserable and terrified tears through all of the confusion. I wouldn't have been able to keep my pride around him, he'd have broken my will far faster. I even dare to say it - he was incredibly unfair! I don't know if it was your intention to make readers think that as some sort of movie-related irony, but he IS. Erasing her memory like that in "A Year and a Day", so ruthlessly. GR.

The chapter that saved me from bursting into tears (though I eventually did anyway when I realized she had to DIE) was the one with the golden bird. I LOVED that golden bird, and I'm so happy you put it in there to add at least some level of hope to the story, even at the end, when the caged bird is not only a symbol of her but also of hope that she might escape, and I was desperately hoping she would escape, which is something I have never felt before in relation to romantically involved villains and maidens.

You quite literally turned my world upside down with this story. I read it three weeks ago (perhaps more) and it's STILL haunting me. I had previously downloaded the opera peice "Der Erlkönig", and when I listened to it this morning before school, I hadn't realized until the end of the song that my expression was transfixed in muted fear, and the feeling stayed with me throughout the day. So I insist on saying you are a fantastic writer with haunting skill and I would very much enjoy reading a sequel (perhaps for the preservation of my hope and Sarah's), but would also like to see lighter works from you.I wonder if you can make someone feels as elated as you do terrified!

Sincerely,
KatelynnLynn chapter 16 . 3/23/2009
I have to say-I love this fic. And In A Glass, Darkly is definitely one of my favorites ever.

Also-the first chapter and the blatant references to MN? I laughed my ass off. Sarah voices the exact same complaints I voice every year. I hate it up here -_-

Thank you for writing such entertaining and BEAUTIFUL fiction.
493 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »