Reviews for Erlkönig
nekochan1994 chapter 4 . 9/5/2014
very scary!
nekochan1994 chapter 3 . 9/5/2014
... Officially creeped out.
nekochan1994 chapter 1 . 9/5/2014
I honestly thought that Toby was going to be the target. *shudder*
Bloodsired chapter 16 . 8/6/2014
It's so captivating very dark and beautiful. I think it was a dark side of love. Kudos!
kitcatscratch chapter 14 . 7/17/2014
I have to say that I read this story several times and I only just realized that it went past chapter 13. I was so surprised (and embarrassed somewhat to admit that). I think it's because in reading this, the first 13 chapters were perfect in its symmetry. It was not about villains or heroines to me. There is no "victor" or "loser" because life is not about that. Life is a struggle. Existence is a struggle, even for immortal beings. Sarah bound Jareth to her. She did it in ignorance but ignorance really is not a defense because it doesn't change the fact of the outcome. What's more, she bound a creature to her that should never have been bound. Jareth is not a man. He is a force of nature. He was never made to BE human, to love and feel and reason as a human would. I think of people who train hawks and falcons and how they have to protect their arms when calling them to them. Because they will never be truly tamed and their claws are simply a part of what they are and they will cause hurt and damage but not because of any truly malicious intent. It's just what they are. Jareth is the same. She bound him, he has claws and teeth so to speak (well literally in this case too...huh). He knows this shouldn't have been and his anger and rage is understandable and yet, he's forced to love her as well. So he bound her in the same way. Or rather, she has his heart and so he has her soul. They are tied together for all eternity in that way. And they both have love and hate for each other. She admits very tellingly that she bound him unknowingly and yet, she found him irresistible and he realizes that though she may have been ignorant of the actual act, subconsciously she wanted it and hence, the binding was given strength. I think the only thing the subsequent chapters add is just an interesting "FYI." Chp 14 is interesting as he is shown as tired. The effort to bring her to him has taken its toll and when he arrives he states he is glad to see her there (that he was successful). And the final chapter is interesting in noting that she has moments where she remembers. And yet, mixed in with her hate and desire to be free are those moments when she remembers the happy times (dancing, their daughters, etc). It's also chilling because it seems that nothing is truly real. I think the court and subjects are Jareth's creations. It's all beautiful dreams you know? Which leads me to wonder about the daughters as well. Just more dreams. And yet, a type of reality in his world as well. I guess what I'm saying is that the first 13 chapters are perfect and that if you write something about Sarah winning, then it would be a story on its own. Erlkonig stands alone in its own right as a metaphor in the struggle between love and hate and existing.
kitcatscratch chapter 13 . 7/10/2014
Wow. How poignant. I don't see Jareth as the villain or Sarah as a victim. Rather, I see two people trapped together against their wills (Jareth by what a young Sarah had done and Sarah herself by her ignorance). The way you described Sarah's dying was both scary and beautiful. Although Jareth spoke calmly and acted calmly, you managed to convey a quiet desperation as he begs her to say his name before it's too late and she passes away. I think there was something you wrote where he talks about going where she goes, not being able to let her walk that path into darkness without him. Sigh.
Shadow131 chapter 16 . 7/4/2014
Man, I wish you were still active, I'd love to see Sarah get some of her own back in either "The Purple Testament" or "Orfee." I really liked this. Dark and nasty, but very emotionally captive, it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm looking forward to reading through some of your other stuff (that thankfully isn't labeled under "horror," my poor can't take it).
Shadow131 chapter 13 . 7/4/2014
Love that ending, and the double entendre. It IS sad and dark, but...not oppressively so. I mean...if (and I realize this is a big if) Jareth DOES treat her like a queen, that's...at least something? It would be interesting to see, albeit a bit dark.
Shadow131 chapter 11 . 7/4/2014
I love how the dance with the children is both adorable AND creepy. In that way, it is seductive and frightening - which is certainly appropriate. Jareth's love is terrible, but...it has to be love, it's hard to argue otherwise. And many people fall in love unwillingly. That's what makes this so cool.
Shadow131 chapter 9 . 7/3/2014
I LOVE Jareth's reason for loving Sarah. It's just so...perfect for this. It's...twisted yet real. He can't help it, and (if she has a clue), I'm HOPING Sarah can use it to her advantage. But it's just gripping.
Shadow131 chapter 8 . 7/3/2014
...Jareth's evil is so mirthfully delicious. I love his constant praise for poetry and music. And damn, I do love Robert Browning...
Shadow131 chapter 6 . 7/3/2014
Okay, I've been kind of reading this at arm's length. Because last time I read one of your stories, I didn't sleep, and this IS labeled under "horror." Damn it, you've won me over again. Jareth's grand entrance is just so enchantingly gallant, and along with your summary that "undying love can be more terrible than beautiful" ("a terrible beauty is born," anyone?) I give in. I like in.
So help me God, if I don't sleep again, I am going back in time and erasing this review and anything nice I had to say.
j'aime.volonte chapter 16 . 5/30/2014
Wonderful. Thank you!
HeyiyaIf chapter 2 . 5/14/2014
Very VERY well written, and intelligently too.
I don't know if you know the Rammstein installation of the Erlkönig tale. It's on their 'Reise, Reise' album. For some inexplicable reason the song is titled 'Dalai Lama' but it IS, in fact, a telling of the Erlkönig legend, in a modern fashion.
Guest chapter 16 . 5/6/2014
Are you ever going to write a sequel? This is such an awesome story. Please don't give up or leave
492 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »