Reviews for Erlkönig
amore1993 chapter 16 . 3/15/2012
The whole story was chilling and horrific but extremely well done. I am a sucker for happy endings so I wasn't completly happy at the end but I have to admit that the ending you wrote was the most fitting and realistic given the situation, so from amore 1993 'A job very well done'. Now you'll have to excuse me because I'm about to check out your other stories :)
Neko chapter 6 . 1/14/2012
Well! That was quite terrifying. I'm not familiar with this music, but I did look it up and I know how it ends. You said it would be a spoiler, but I do still hope Sarah and Toby live through this ordeal. If your goal was to make Jareth more alien and frightening, you've certainly succeeded.
ymaface chapter 16 . 1/8/2012
I very rarely review, but your story was so beautifully written that I just had to. You're an amazing writer and this story is so unique on this forum. Completely terrifying! Well done
Taneva Rose chapter 3 . 12/25/2011
In reading this fic, particularly the first chapter, as well as the valentine fic, I think what you write best are the realistic, scene. Sarah greeting the singer. It's because you have an almost alcoholic way with fantasy. In moderation you use it beautifully, but then your dream-like contusions of the later chapters, become drunk with it. Not incoherent, you're too good of a writer for that, but somehow less accessible. Not any fault of your own, but one of the horror-surreal genre. The twisting of time and the fragmentary nature of Sarah loosing reality is wonderfully horrible, but it's a little harder to process. Anyway, this whole fic is brilliant, but I think my favorite chapters are the first. Just thought I'd share.

I love your work so much.
Taneva Rose chapter 2 . 12/8/2011
Teufel reminds me of my voice teacher. He did Wintereise and it was incredible. I think he's coming out with a CD. I love Die Forelle btw.

/pretension done.

Your writing is just so good. Every sentence is beautifully crafted, even when Sarah wipes her hands on the bottoms of plates. I'm salivating with envy.

Also I love that you know your music theory. Are you by chance a singer as well. Do you know/like Hugo Wolf too, may I recommend him.

We did Der Erlkonig in diction class and of course I couldn't stop thinking about this fic. You do know the Sophie Von Otter version, it really fits your fic best. Gets the tenor of the Erlkonig very similar to the GK-also she's blonde.
Taneva Rose chapter 1 . 12/8/2011
Is this little bird an allusion to the Emily Dickinson poem perchance?
Abundantia chapter 16 . 11/5/2011
This fic is utterly terrifying.
SpaceHead3 chapter 16 . 10/21/2011
This was seriously one of the scariest fics I've ever read. It was awesome though.
the-vapours chapter 1 . 10/16/2011
I love this story so much I had to read again!
White Ivy chapter 16 . 9/26/2011
This fic really does belong in the horror genre. I do like happy endings and I like Sarah/Jareth pairings, but Jareth is not human, he's Other and you captured that here wonderfully.
Tenebrious chapter 16 . 9/25/2011
I did enjoy this, but it has a decidedly different tone from Erlkönig. It's almost as if the two stories are not quite as connected. I think Erlkönig doesn't need a sequel. Jareth here seems less mysterious, chilling, cold determination to me.

But, I will admit that this was disturbingly hot. So, I'm glad it's here for my reading pleasure.

One of the imagery things I do like here is her golden fairyland versus reality. Gold is such a warm color, and to have everything she sees imbued with it is bringing warmth to an otherwise cold reality. (I love that Jareth's face is white when she looks at him with her full memories.)

I also like the juxtaposition you have of all of Sarah's memories. The dark, awful ones from when he *took* her. And the sweet tender ones from her golden fairyland. All these conflicting feelings for her.

However, I also think that's what marks the difference between this sequel and the original story for me. In Erlkönig, Jareth is *almost* sweet, but swiftly shows his dark, disturbing side-so horrific that the tenderness cannot be believed. Here, I can believe that tenderness. And stealing her memory, while truly awful, is less chilling than the revelations in the original story. I don't know if that makes sense.

Again, good read, though. I've quite enjoyed your dark work. Thank you!
Tenebrious chapter 14 . 9/25/2011
And there it is. That sliver of hope. Her body still lives? Which means she can still say The Words. She can still free herself. And yet, she doesn't remember who she is. Cue the creepy sad music as the story fades to black.

Well played, Erlkönig. Well played.

Oh, the bird. Who is the bird? That line, "I only just acquired it" has me questioning my earlier suspicions. And yet, when taking it in the previous chapters, Jareth had said the bird was his just as Sarah was. I had suspected the bird was another incarnation of Sarah, one who is from a future time. But now, I think I'm wrong.

I'm assuming the "sequel" is the final chapter in this. I shall read on!
Tenebrious chapter 13 . 9/25/2011
I had so wanted to read this last night, but alas, my eyelids could no longer withstand the strain. (I'm quite tired now; it's been a long day.)

But I was happy to get back to it this evening. And must I say, there was a...gentleness to Jareth yet again, and I read this chapter anticipating the moment where I'd say, "You bastard!" He did not disappoint.

The most chilling line: "The power of death..." Though I've known for several chapters this ending was coming, Jareth's delivery of that line was perfect. My heart stopped. I could almost hear a gong in my mind as I read those words, tolling the demise of Sarah's hopes.

Nicely done, referencing "As the World Falls Down" without being obvious. Sad love. The path between the stars, etc. In fact, I almost wonder at the lyric, "I'll leave my love between the stars" concerning Sarah's fate. Between the stars, in that darkness where she is lost forever.

And finally, more symmetry. This time in the imagery in the beginning of the chapter and at the end. I love the door, the cries from the carvings. And then, the chiming clock. Wonderful. I could hear it, picture it in my mind as I read.
Tenebrious chapter 12 . 9/25/2011
I really should be sleeping right now, but I'm compelled to keep reading. I'm holding my breath, even though I have a feeling this will all end badly for Sarah. (I have my suspicions about the bird, however. I'm wondering if they will be confirmed. The deer on the other hand, I have no knowledge of.)

What's fascinating about this chapter is not as much Sarah's desperate attempts to stop herself, to stop Jareth by going back in time. (Though, that is the heart-pounding part of it.) But it's the theme, whether conscious or not, of in a round-about way, Sarah is still "knowing fully" Jareth. She has now experienced the futility of reordering time, of attempting to warn herself, of pleading with the one who cursed her. Very much the same as what Jareth did after she defeated him seven years before.

And speaking of curses... Now - NOW - it makes sense, the hearing of the song, the reading the translation. Not a random event, no. Not something that could have happened on accident. But a deliberate binding. And again... so similar to how Jareth was bound by Sarah, isn't it? (Only, she didn't know the power she exuded over him...and yet he was shackled the same as he shackles her now.)

All this beautifully woven symmetry in the midst of this horror.

And of course, we have the disturbing interlude where Sarah is clearly dying and Jareth wants to consummate a union between them - quite literally. Disturbing to the nth degree.
Tenebrious chapter 11 . 9/24/2011
This is brilliant symmetry, Sarah revisiting the visions she had before, this time with new revelations.

Again, Jareth appears for a moment, redeemable. Like I can believe for a heartbeat there are worse fates Sarah could experience than being taken by the Erlkönig... For instance, she could be taken by IaGD Jareth. ;) However, despite this beautiful interlude with the twins, the moment where love and affection seems apparent, Jareth goes on to reprove his black character. And again, done so solicitously, so I am left with battling that pinprick of hope that he is better in some way. But he isn't.

At the end, beautiful Winterreise reference. However, if there is to be more, I have some reading to do. LOL
458 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »