Reviews for DNR
ParallelVerse chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
Late night comments, marginally coherent, I hope. Bear with you? As if. I'm beginning to think you could write a story in which the Winchester men are sitting around reading pages of the phone book to one another and still invest it with texture and emotional complexity. I'm pleased to hear this is prologue to another long fic. John Winchester is a challenge, not the least because there is not much canon material to work with. John's sons are the major conduit leading into John's psyche. I cannot wait to see what you do with him.

Two things that tugged at my mind on a first reading of this piece will keep me awake if I don't get them down, so I beg your indulgence. First of all, I was taken by John's thoughts about (and curious appreciation for) Sam's inclination to be self-centered. I agree that he is, although his sensitivity and compassion temper it to some extent. I also think that he is becoming more aware of it himself as time goes on. Sam's word's you quoted from Devil's Trap-"No, sir, not before everything"-are an example of this growing awareness, as is his "We were just starting to be brothers again," from IMTOD. In addition, it strikes me that Sam is self-centered in direct proportion to the extent to which John and Dean made him the center of the Winchester universe after Mary's death. (I could get really tangled up in astrophysical metaphors here, since the dance among the three of them is every bit as complex as the mathematics describing the effect of multiple planetary bodies upon one another!)

The other thing that struck me is what I take to be a significant blind spot in John's understanding of Dean. Namely, his apparent conviction that Dean knows how John feels about him and should be able to see past the YED's lies in that regard. Was this intentional? God knows, it is a looming pitfall in parent/child relationships even under relatively normal circumstances, so it would not seem inconsistent at all that John would fail to take into account the impact on Dean of the repeated abandonments he has suffered. My suspicion is that it was entirely intentional (if poorly stated on my part), since you are not the sort of writer who settles for superficiality and your subjects are real, flawed human beings.

My thoughts are starting to stray off in a million different directions, so I had better give it up before I stop making sense altogether! My god, you're a brave woman. Tackle it, bring it to its knees and rip off it's helmet. I can't wait to see what's under there.
Brigid Tanner chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
That was beautiful. Lovely insight into John's thoughts and understanding of his sons. Glad to see you're planning more stories for John.
Ghostwriter chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
I love it. Great look into John's thoughts. Catch ya on the flip side.
HAP chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
Interesting viewpoint for this one - not that many IMTOD from John's POV. It really annoyed me in the episode that he didn't say anything to Dean in that first scene between them, but I think you've explored his thoughts pretty well here. And I like it that there was still a bit'o'Dean in the story too.

Can't tell you how excited I am to hear that you're winding up to another big story - excellent!
bjxmas chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
I loved IMTOD and really thought they covered all the bases and then you come up with this. Amazing! I love John and you really got inside his head. I loved his inner dialogue and how he does really know his boys. How Dean does fight him in his own subtle way that Sammy never realized and how John loves both his sons so much.

Him contemplating what he is willing to barter for Dean's life is riveting and then him working past how Dean will feel and how it is all for the best for both his boys. Just so much to think about here. Love it. Always great to see a comprehensive, insightful look into the mind of John Winchester.

And I loved the further insights into Red, one of my all time favs. Great to see John's thoughts on that. Thanks for a great read, B.J.
heather03nmg chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
IMTOD is my favorite episode and I think I've read every story on fanfic relating to it.

I think you did an amazing job writing John, you kept him strong but still allowed us to see through some cracks in his armor...his boys are his weakness and I loved how you made that shine through.

Just one wondering, why did John sign the DNR paper, I can't understand that.

Anyway, loved the story, wish it had been longer, would have loved to see Dean and Sam's reaction to John signing those papers. Look forward to the next story!
Maz101 chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
Gorgeous of course and, once again, original. How do you do that! New perspective, new insight, new depth. Can't wait for the new fic too. Congrats!
November'sGuest chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
You have such a unique way of wording things...and I really like it. If this is any hint of what's to come, count me in. I need to backtrack and read Dazzleland, first, lol.

Awesome job, I really enjoy reading your work.

SciFiNutTX chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
Really good fic. Really enjoyed it.
may7fic chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
Damn, girl, that last line just killed me. I so enjoyed the little flashbacks to Red also and your insight into John's thoughts. I will wait with bated breath for your next fic, John's prominence in it definitely giving me something to look forward to.
Antigone11 chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
"The doctor picked up the clipboard. “A young man like this can do a world of good, even in his death. He’d want that, wouldn’t he? He’d want to help others.”"

OK, this really freaked me out. I know organ donation is a wonderful thing, but this doctor is talking about Dean as if THAT’S ALL HE IS. *shudder* I don’t know if you ever saw the show with Eric Close as basically a man’s consciousness put into a brand new engineered body, but it had a episode where people were abducted off the streets and killed for their organs and the abductors were just thrilled to end up with a body who could regenerate its organs. Creepy creepy creepy.

I liked the pacing of this. It was like following in the wake of a barge. Some visible disturbance on the surface, but lots of churning underneath. It felt character correct. John was somewhat reflective, but always turned his thoughts back to the demon and back to the objective (trading the Colt for Dean). I can see that circular thought process being his MO since however long it took him to emerge from the mindless grief of Mary’s murder. His thoughts are worn deep by now.
historylover chapter 1 . 4/27/2007
Oh. Man, tears in my eyes! What are you doing to me?

I so loved IMToD. One of my favorite SPN episodes ever.

Loved this one! That feels like John.

I, like many others, also wrote a tag for IMToD. I really liked yours, though.

27 | « Prev Page 1 2