Reviews for Deva 03: Academy Blues Side Stories
Kell Shock chapter 7 . 11/16/2007
More about Allison, and her struggle with her dual-identity...

I am surprised that Tse made it, considering all of what Allison was saying about him, but I guess that was just Allison being Allison.

And a mysterious Navajo mage makes his appearance, which either makes him part of the Circle, or part of another secret group, especially considering that none of Allison's family recognized him. My vote's on the "another secret group."

So, 7 chapters and you've covered 9 of the 16 students. Got ideas for the other 7 students? It'd be amusing if one of them ran into a little trouble with a reporter of some sort.
Baughn chapter 7 . 11/16/2007
The entire transhumanist movement is about improving the software, actually - most likely by way of AIs as, as you say, the human mind is too complex to figure out readily. The immortality thing is really a sort of side-effect, though a very welcome one.

I don't think this is the right forum to discuss this, though.. feel free to reply via email, read websites, or just ignore the whole thing. It'll happen anyhow.
Baughn chapter 6 . 11/3/2007
I imagine if I told you we intend to redesign humanity for longevity and/or merge with AIs, and got you to believe it, that would upset *you*.

Oh well. I'll just enjoy the story - this sort of thing is almost inevitable in science fiction, if you want a setting even remotely like today's world. I don't think reality will follow that path - not even remotely - but that's why it's *fiction*, right?
Kell Shock chapter 6 . 11/2/2007
"Laura and Yu-chan, sitting in a tree..."

But I think that reactive shield has potential, even if it does blow up. If they can somehow get most of the blast to go in one direction, like say putting another shield right behind the reactive one, they can get close to the enemy and let the enemy's attack blow up in their face. Plus the sonic portion of the reactive shield would be great for surprise.

And the third rule of war is: Brute force always works. If it doesn't then you aren't using enough of it.

Then again, at this point only Terrible Trio has enough power to use brute force on their enemies. So we'll just have to go with the fourth rule of war: Always watch your back, or have your buddy do it for you.

Hm... looks like Juliet is still a nasty fighter, once she gets in range. Although it appears she has a bit of difficulty controlling her bloodlust. That's good for one-on-one battles, but bad for teamwork.

So, since Marcel is Yu-chan's right hand, I guess it's his job to inform Yussef of his new army: the Myrmidons.
CrimsonDX chapter 6 . 11/2/2007
That was a nifty chapter. It was cool to see what the others did during the Mariachi rescue. Needless to say the moment Natalia started to act I cheered. I love the Russian girl _, the fact that shes going a little insane just makes her more lovable. I loved that last line that Yussef said to Marcel.
pfeil chapter 6 . 11/2/2007
"Allina's aggressively schizophrenic morals were just too funny."

Great line, and fitting, too. With Marcel being Yussef's loyal aide, he wouldn't understand what's probably a very precise, rigidly adhered to - if not mainstream - set of rules that I'd expect a computer lover like Allina to follow.
Skyfall v2.0 chapter 5 . 10/13/2007
Finally sat down and plowed through the side stories. Certainly no less impressive than the main story itself, and i find myself craving for more, which doesn't happen all that often with me :)

The last one got me thinking though - is the incident going to play a role in the main story ? I mean, Natalia knows the name Precia Testarossa. I am sure that meeting Fate Testarossa would peak some interest in her :) This could make for a very interesting conversation between the two. I am sure Natalia would display some interest in the admiral that is carrying the same family name as Precia :)

Fantastic work - can't wait for the next update

-Sky
Kell Shock chapter 5 . 8/3/2007
So Natalia has gained what most people call Shinigami's Eye. But putting that aside for a moment, carrying around your brother like that is just creepy as hell. On the other hand, taking Laura down a peg or two is cool as hell. So I guess they balance out.

Going back to the Eye, I'm sure various people in TSAB will be very "interested" in her eye, and the fact that Hayate "allowed" her to do it will not make help her image to those people. Yes, it is something that Natalia will most likely regret and she will never do something like that again (unless she's driven insane by her eye), but it would seem to some that this was a bit too cruel of a lesson.

Anyways, this is another excellent chapter. Thank you.
Baughn chapter 5 . 8/1/2007
Russians /are/ used to tragedy, at that. This story was very uncomfortable for me, though. Do you really believe that death is unconquerable, or is that just something for the story universe?

Conquering death, at least temporarily, is something I expect to see within two or three decades. I'm not even sure that entropy must always win in the end - though time wouldn't work naturally without it, that's not to say we can't have both, eventually.
seaotter chapter 5 . 8/1/2007
what a fun, exciting and sad story all rolled into one.

you managed to tie together al-hazred(sp?) with Academy blues, and yet inject some melancholy to a character, which you executed nicely.

Natalia's reason is somewhat justified - the need to say goodbye and knowing what her belief is - but her execution is somewhat flawed; people should know there IS a reason something is labeled RESTRICTED.

Now natalia pays the price - her power and her, i think, somewhat disturbed mind.

btw, who wears glasses in AB? i imagine natalia with one, but the rest...
TheWhiteMonk chapter 5 . 7/31/2007
Poor Natalia. While what she did was stupid, her reasons were ones I (and perhaps everyone) can identify with. While Hayate might seem cruel at first, she seems to be thinking only of Natalia's well-being. It probably helps that Hayate has given every impression of being at peace with the loss of her parents.

My family members have requested that if they ever end up like Sasha, that I am to pull the plug. They believe (as do I) that is a fate worse than death. But I do respect those that keep their loved ones alive, in the hope that something can be done.
CrimsonDX chapter 5 . 7/31/2007
An awesome little appetizer to hold me over until the next chapter of AB comes out. I actually feel sorry for Natalia...i can understand how that poor scientist went insane. To be able to see the fates of others...to be able to know when someone will die and be unable to do anything about it...

the concept of that chapter was awesome though. kind of FMA like with the seeing of the gate. I love how you described it. "A sense of oppressive age, power, and irresistible inevitability" I love the tattoo. I love it when characters, especially female ones, have a defining feature, Like scares or tattoos and what not. I look forward to your future chapters.
Kell Shock chapter 4 . 7/4/2007
Once Allison learns how to keep that cloak while attacking she'll be unstoppable.

Noah, on the other hand, needs to learn how to shield bash.

And to top it all off, we get a nice insight into why the Circle mages are getting their asses kicked by a bunch of kids.
TheWhiteMonk chapter 4 . 7/4/2007
I've done missionary work on an Indian Reservation before. It was not a nice place. The Trail of Tears is a true stain on my country's history. I also did work with Native Americans in the Atacama Desert in Northern Chile. Again, the way natives have been treated is disgusting.
Aurica chapter 3 . 6/15/2007
Nice I like the 3rd chapter the best, funny and it explains Megan turning into a gaigantic cat now!
72 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »