Reviews for Duet for One
P chapter 1 . 10/1/2013
Very powerful... I find the lyrics "Doubted where I am true and trusted/Where I betray" especially haunting...
Emerald Ashes chapter 1 . 9/15/2013
This is really fascinating. I suspect I'd need a few more readings to fully understand, but I'm quite impressed. Thanks for the translation notes on the bottom, as well!
Tonks-is-cool chapter 1 . 2/7/2013
What an intriguing poem, amazing, and fitting to describe Snape. When I started to read, I wondered why this sounded so perfectly tragically heroic, and why it reminded me so much of Shakespeare's Sonnets. Thanks for the AN, which cleared the origins and your musings up.
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 1/7/2013
You're great at putting this sort of thing into verse. Great stuff.
Dearlady2002 chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
I liked this, especially some of the phrases you used- nesting among the enemies and such. I can tell this is something that you worked on a while.
Lady Asher chapter 1 . 10/30/2011
beautifully haunting. the repeated lines of "Turn the dark mind to the light,/Turn the light mind to the dark again" really tied the whole poem together - not to mention they sound pretty darn cool on their own! The coda at the end was wonderful in its paralellism (and yet, complete contrast) to the original sonnet, and went very nicely with your own poem. I think it was very nice to present something a reader gave to you and to acknowledge how well it complemented your own work )

Well done, and thanks for sharing!
Mountain Dew Girl chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
This was stunning.
dreamspell chapter 1 . 9/27/2011
I found this poem off the essay you did about Snape, and I love it. The title is perfect for it since a "duet", by its very nature, is for two people and it's almost like Snape, here, is two people. One false - the hard, cruel Death Eater - and one true, the part that is playing a role and hating every bit of it, and knowing that *nobody* is going to thank him for it.

It's a beautiful and lyrical exposition of Snape's character, and I feel privileged to have been able to read it.
sadfulness chapter 1 . 2/27/2011
Not exactly a new comment, but: Wow, poetry that doesn't suck! Seriously, though, I wish I had as good a feel for the rhythm of the words as you do. Also, in regards to Duj's verses (which are also awesome), grippe in the more general sense, which you compared to the effects of a curse, could also be the result of poison. I like thinking of that extra dimension - if Snape were caught, he might be cursed, or poisoned with something he himself made for Lord V, or take poison himself if there was no chance of escaping a long and torturous death.
Dragonanzar chapter 1 . 2/24/2011
Very interesting indeed. I just had to read this aloud; as poetry, it deserved more than just sounding in my mind. Very succinct and expressive; I've never thought about Snape's character that way. Yes, I do hold that it is childish to believe in an utterly evil person, equally that it is immature to believe that one person can be entirely good. Snape has good reasons for what he does, but it must be admitted that he is a very bitter and agressive character, perhaps with reason... I'm rambling. Thank you for writting this intriguing poem.
Isobel Kelte chapter 1 . 7/31/2009
Chillingly beautiful and hauntingly sad. This is probably the best summary of the immensely complex character shown in the books but masked behind plot twists and prejudice.
Emily Waters chapter 1 . 11/20/2008
Yes! This is gorgeous in its grief.

Give me my cloak, my mask, I'll strut your bloody stage

Though curtains fall, and shadows mock at me,

And blood-red eyes

Burn upon every turn. If not me, who?

And if not now, then when?

The allusion to the world being a stage is very striking.

Turn the dark mind to the light,

Turn the light mind to the dark again.

I've always wondered what Snape would have needed to do to fool Tom Riddle, a skilled Legilimens. He must have had to bury the best parts of him fairly deep, and wear the disagreableness/anger/rage on the outside. No wonder he did not seem like a pleasant person to most people...
Sympathy for the Snape chapter 1 . 5/5/2008
I love poetry (what I consider good stuff like Dylan Thomas, T.S. Eliot, Donne, etc.) and to be honest, I generally avoid poetry on , but this was enjoyable. It makes me wish I could write poetry, but I'm a prose person. It captures Snape very well and I quite like the last two stanzas.
RebeccaRoy chapter 1 . 5/5/2008
That was amazing, dark and we do get a glimps into the mind of the double agent. I really think Snape should have lived, gone aboard (as the saying goes) and found love and friends after the war.
trekker2002 chapter 1 . 8/29/2007
That is wonderful. I am almost lost for words. I am so glad that you were not. Thank you so much. I feel humbled by my lack of learning when I find gems like this.

'I was born on the feast of Janus two faced-agony

And masks are mine by birthright.'

That gives me the shivers.