Reviews for Learning to Love, Learning to Mature
Rider Arya Svit-kona chapter 15 . 12/28/2007
aw that's soo sad. Seems a lil predicable or maybe i've just read too much fanfiction that that's happened in before. oh well. It's still really good! I can't wait to see what happens!

Arya
FabulousLasVegas chapter 15 . 12/27/2007
uh oh. c'mon, keep it coming.
Lexie-H chapter 14 . 12/6/2007
Hello hello!

Finally got around to this )

I really liked what you did with the 'gaby dating sirius' discussion scenario - that you took my comments on board, and fleshed it out so that we understand she isn't actually obligated. It fits so much better now!

Your paragraphs at the first part I didn't read were fantastic, the detail was great and carefully thought out, and although I can't help but feel the tone was a little rushed, you did well with them.

Isn't the ball dance the same dance they used for the Yule Ball in the GoF movie? It's very close, at the very least )

Lily's weight - you've given it in American terms, when the english follow the metric system, with kilos etc. I appreciate that you are obviously american and you know... that's the logical thing to do, but since they ARE british... (pst... the correct conversion is approx 55kg, if you do decide to fix that up...) (plus, what girl tells a guy her weight, really?)

There's a little bit of tautology in your discussion of Snape and Lily, but overall I think you handled it well. Initially I thought you might have been intending to gloss them over, but well done with taking the time to explore their relationship a little more!

... as long as he's not bashing you? Sorry, very sorry, but I think that's the last thing any of us would expect snape to say!

Girls in the dorm after rehearsal, and much of what comes after that, too - look carefully, there's some punctuation missing around your dialogue

The character developments this chapter are great - and Emma and Remus! Aw! Overall, I think you did very well. You portray James and Lily's growing friendship quite realistically, and as for the other characters' interactions - the girls are slowly developing a nice flow, and the marauders are great too, although I must say, we don't see much of peter at all, which I think might be a little oversight? Perhaps make a conscious effort to include him a little more?

Anyway, all that's left is a few specific things that I felt the need to point out. You did very well without your beta (I'm almost redundant, I think) and yeah - great work!

Here's a few things I picked up... I'll capitalise stuff so it's easiest to pick

1. “But you just proved that YOU can’t.” Danielle pointed out.

2. "Snape, although rather smart he was rather reluctant to speak to anyone he didn’t knew" - KNOW, not knew

3. "They ended at midnight" - WHEN they ended at midnight (?)

4. “ I don’t know if I can sleep with Padfoots snoring,” - add apostrophe - Padfoot's

5. the sentence leading up to this: "and that’s something she’s never seen." didn't particularly make sense (what's the significance?) but anyway - TENSING, sweety

6. TENSING again (no first person, hon) and also, is should be IF: "Lily decided to wake Gabrielle up first because she was the one that would most likely curse you into oblivion is you wake her in a rude manner."

7. Right at the end - introuble should be two words

That's about it, I think. Toodles!

Lexie
thestralwhisperer chapter 14 . 12/3/2007
really lovely chapter!
HGHPlove4ever15 chapter 14 . 11/30/2007
Aww. This is cute. I hope you update soon.

Byes

Cc
petrynronlover chapter 14 . 11/30/2007
OH MY GOD I LOVE YOUR STORY. i saw found it today and i was determined to read it all and i did. i can't wait for the next chapter. update asap please
Rider Arya Svit-kona chapter 14 . 11/30/2007
aw that's soo sweet! hehe I can't wait to see what happens!

Arya
LadyKnightSusan chapter 14 . 11/30/2007
Aw! I love it! That was a super long chapter. I loved when Sirius hauled Gabby back into the hall over his shoulder. Update soon!
shetlandlace chapter 14 . 11/30/2007
14 chapters one sitting-wow! Just couldn't stop reading. I'd say I just couldn't put it down, but my monitor is way to heavy to hold like a book. :-)

I really enjoyed the story-your characters are great! Love the interpretations of the characters from the books. Your original characters are great fun-I'd like to hang out with them!
Raztrillo chapter 14 . 11/29/2007
Ok, damned, I won't kill you.

Well, I see a problem, this are long, and Towards the end are short, damned missy make up your mind, you know, I'm not some kind of long short reading switching machine, or may be I am, but creation is not in play.

Well, We got the ball, reduced to 1 chapter, unless you want to get something like an after ball party at the dorms, like the after prom party, something more wild and less formal, of course is different times, though thinking in the future chapter, would there be something like the actual after ball event, may be only the gang.

Back to the present, It was entertaining, I didn't felt the Snape aproach too extent, you could have put more on it, but of course I know how you feel about the whole situation, so well, just the fact that he was there, was a lot.

How's that Gabrielle was ok with Black for the ball, is it the relationship actually gonna happen, or is one of those sad things, cuz I see posibilities, just by Gabrielle attitude.

Lily situation, was this git expelled or suspended, would it be some next encounter, cuz I wanna see her revange.

Love the cheezy ending, so cutely cheezy, you want some crackers with that cheese?

Love you.

I found this on my morning USA Today paper, if you want the actual paper I'll get it for you.

Collegiate Quidditch takes off — figuratively, at least

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. — The broomsticks they hold between their legs can't help them fly. The Snitch is not a winged golden ball but a young man who sprints across the field at lightning speed. And at times, the game looks like the mongrel offspring of rugby, dodge ball and soccer. But somehow it all works.

The first intercollegiate Quidditch match was held here this month, and though this version of the game is earthbound, it's taking off. Originally played by wizards darting about on broomsticks in the Harry Potter novels, the game is now taking root on college campuses.

"We were all Harry Potter's age when the books started," says Sam Libby, 20, a Middlebury College junior geography major from Richmond, Vt. "And Quidditch is one of the most creative things that came out of the books. We were able to create that here, follow all the rules, except the ability to fly. It just caught on."

Quidditch surfaced at Middlebury two falls ago when a handful of students gathered to play a rudimentary form of the game on Sunday afternoons, making up rules extrapolated from the books.

By this month's Intercollegiate Quidditch World Cup Fall Festival, there were banners, team processions worthy of Olympic opening ceremonies, halftime entertainment and 12 seven-person coed Middlebury teams vying for the chance to play the visiting team from Vassar College.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: World Cup Harry Potter JK Rowling Poughkeepsie Middlebury Vassar College

Play-by-play commentary floated over the campus on loudspeakers.

Knocked her right off her broom! That had to hurt!

There was even an element of surprise: Streakers with nothing but broomsticks scampered out of a dorm, around the field and back to the dorm, sending the crowd wild. Who could ask for anything more on a crisp autumn afternoon?

And as the sun set and the temperature plummeted, Middlebury's Mollywobbles defeated Vassar for the championship. A bit of a rout, really. Vassar never scored.

Alexander Benepe, 20, a junior art history major from New York City and The Commissioner of all things Quidditch at Middlebury, wasn't surprised by his college's victory.

"We had far more experience and intensity. I think it definitely overwhelmed Vassar a bit, but I'm sure that this inspired them to come back next year with a vengeance," he explains with all the earnestness of sportscaster Bob Costas.

Rainey Johnson, 20, a junior chemistry major from St. Louis, played the Snitch position, taking on the part of a winged ball. (A tennis ball stuffed in a sock and hanging from his shorts is what both teams are after.) He says the game is really three games in one: a goal-scoring game, a dodgeball game, "and then there's the tag game. I'm part of the tag game."

"Amused" is the word he uses to describe people's reaction to the newest sport on campus.

"I think a lot of people are afraid to come out because they might enjoy it," says the lean cross-country runner. "In the beginning, the seniors wanted to know what we were doing to Middlebury. But there's a good vibe now. We're the upperclassmen now, and the freshmen think it's cool."

Even Middlebury administrators see the benefits.

With some prospective students, Quidditch is a draw, says dean of admissions Robert Clagett, who gets positive reactions when he mentions the teams in information sessions on campus and on the road.

He says interest seems to be growing. "This is the first year when I've seen such a strong response, and it must be because these 18-year-olds grew up with the whole Harry Potter saga."

Benepe, dressed in a pinstriped suit, purple tie, glittering cape and black top hat, scurried here and there, directing the afternoon's games and festivities with his cane. He believes Quidditch's lure is even stronger than college officials think.

"Some freshmen here say they chose Middlebury because it has Quidditch," Benepe boasts. "I think they made a judgment about a school that would have Quidditch is a good school."

In addition to Middlebury and Vassar, Quidditch is played at Bucknell University, Tulane, Oberlin, Washington state's Whitman College and Vermont's Marlboro College, where the Golden Snitch is not a human but a toy helicopter. (It has to be caught before it hits the ground.)

Not that this is the first time Middlebury College has been on the cutting edge of collegiate games.

Legend has it that the first Frisbee took to the air here. Five Middlebury alumni claim to have thrown a discarded Frisbie Pie tin in 1939. There's even a statue of a dog catching a Frisbee on campus.

And now Quidditch.

Parents who are paying $46,910 a year to send their children to Middlebury say it's worth the price.

"Given some of the alternatives out there, this is a good way to relax," says Michael Free of suburban Philadelphia, who, with his wife, Sharon, came to the World Cup games to cheer on their son Christopher, a sophomore in conservation biology.

Christopher, 19, was a co-captain of champion Mollywobbles, and his parents couldn't have been prouder. "There are a lot of worse things he could be doing," his dad says.

Saxon Elliott of Northampton, Mass., mother of freshman Conrad Schott, 18, who headed up the Vassar Quidditch team, agrees.

"I sent him off to Vassar, and never once did I realize he would ascend to such greatness," she says with a laugh. She made the pink capes worn by the New York team. (All Quidditch teams wear capes.)

Even some of the college staff is getting in on the action.

Linda Schiffer, coordinator of Cook Commons, one of Middlebury's residential colleges, showed up at the World Cup game dressed all in black, complete with witch's hat. Introducing herself to the hundreds of fans at the opening ceremony, she received a rousing welcome.

"I'm Professor Minerva McGonagall," she said with great conviction. "Professor of Transfiguration at Hogwarts!"

Quidditch is even giving alumni a good feeling, not only about their college but the world.

Ken Nourse (Class of '52) and his wife, Pat ('53), wandered onto campus to catch the festivities.

"It's all so creative," says Pat Nourse. "How can you say today's kids don't have an imagination? They're so smart. I have more faith in the future now."

So what kind of student is attracted to Quidditch?

Xander Manshel, 20, a junior English major from Boxborough, Mass., organized the first games and designed rules for Quidditch for Muggles, J.K. Rowling's word for non-wizarding folk.

Manshel concedes that there was a "nerd stigma" attached to the game early on, citing a preponderance of science majors.

"There was some skepticism in the beginning," says Manshel, one of the play-by-play commentators and a member of an improv team on campus. "But once people saw it wasn't just a fantasy game and very athletic, it's caught on."

Benepe says he has more than 300 students on his Quidditch e-mail list. "More than any other club on campus."

There also is a Facebook group called The Intercollegiate Quidditch Association, which has more than 600 members (middlebury. ?gid20478706).

He says Quidditch will outlast even Harry Potter and "absolutely" envisions a collegiate Quidditch league in the future.

Benepe hopes to have more colleges participating next year, planning an aggressive recruiting campaign in the spring.

"My vision is to get a couple vanloads of Middlebury players, all of the necessary equipment and Snitch runners, and travel to four to five colleges in the Northeast and get some games going," he says.

Colgate, Williams and Amherst are on the list.

"I think watching Quidditch in real life will really inspire a lot of people so that by next fall, we can have at least five experienced and game-ready colleges."

Benepe believes "Quidditch is strong enough to last on its own. You just have to look and see how much fun people are having today."

Schott says fellow Vassar students weren't quite sure what was going on when Quidditch first appeared on the Poughkeepsie campus. "A lot of people just stood at the sidelines and watched," he says. "I couldn't tell if they thought we were fools or if they wanted to join in."

Vassar has 25 students on its team, so many they couldn't all make the road trip to Middlebury.

As for Vassar's talent level, well … Sybil Johnson, 17, a freshman from Sudbury, Mass., was asked about her team's chances. "Oh, we don't have a clue what we're doing!"

Everyone agrees it's the spirit of the game that matters most.

"Of all the things I've done in my four years at Middlebury, this is by far the best," says Ellie Molyneux, 21, a psychology major from Worthington, Mass., who played for the Bad Ass Muggle Flyers. "I won a Jell-O wrestling contest one year, but this is far better."
FabulousLasVegas chapter 10 . 11/29/2007
love the story so far, keep going!
ficusmarie chapter 14 . 11/29/2007
WOW! Great chapter! but, what was the song? just wondering...anyway, Update soon!
BonesAddiction chapter 13 . 11/22/2007
pps!:D great fic!
morgim1103 chapter 13 . 11/16/2007
WOW! this is an amazing fanfic

your writing is amazing! i could so clearly picture ever scene and event! keep it up and update soon!
Raztrillo chapter 2 . 11/16/2007
I like the new chapter, really good :)
85 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »