Reviews for Measure of a Man
thedoctor11th chapter 5 . 3/23
sad ending
charmony chapter 5 . 7/22/2012
Whoa! This started off so sweet and fluffy and then suddenly it descended into something horrible and scary. But you write both in such equal brilliance that I wasn't too upset. But those little bits, where you were in River's mind while she was still out of it...I very nearly cried all three times as she dealt with knowing Sam was dead. And poor Mal, being conscious while his wife bleeds out; you really do write a wonderful story, even when the topic is such a cruel one to read. Good job.
lje100smith chapter 5 . 10/17/2011
And so ends this tragic tale in the lives of Mal and River. When my grandmother was pregnant, she became extremely sick and lost the son she was carrying. As a result, my father was their first born child. While I've never directly experienced pain like this during my lifetime, you illustrate very well the anguish that the parents experience. Overall, this is a well-written tragic tale.
lje100smith chapter 4 . 10/17/2011
I almost cried when River miscarried. We only find out she's pregnant at the end of the last chapter, and now she's lost the baby because of her sickness. This is a fantastic idea for dramatic plot, but the angst is overwhelming. I know that there are hard times in life, but the fact that this story is realistic doesn't make it any easier to read.
lje100smith chapter 3 . 10/16/2011
Here we go. Not only has a drastic sickness infected the crew, it has hit River the hardest. Of course, this is compounded by the fact that she's pregnant.

The harrowing trip back to Harvest was very tense. Doctors are indispensable people in any group.

The picture of government doctors trying to control an epidemic remind me of a show I watched about Ebola in Africa. Many times in epidemics, there is a shortage of medical personnel to combat the sickness, and many people go unattended. You captured that image well here.
lje100smith chapter 2 . 10/16/2011
I was smiling again throughout this chapter. Poor Simon!

Mal and River's dialogue, along with their other interaction [if you know what I'm saying ;)], were very entertaining. It also underscores how good marriage is. Too many times these days we see marriage portrayed as a miserable prison for two people who have signed away their sex life, when the exact opposite is true if a marriage is done right.

This is as far as the good times go, which is evidenced by your last line of foreshadowing. Such an innocuous little line to preview so much tragedy.
lje100smith chapter 1 . 10/16/2011
At the very beginning you make a significant reference to the previous story. As much as it is tragic that this happened to Mal, it shows good continuity with the plot. What happened to Mal will have long term effects, and I'm glad to see that you aren't just ignoring them like some stories would.

The rest of the story is not exactly fluff, since the emotional tone is more serious, but it is very positive and uplifting. I could so very well visualize the interactions with the Frye family as well as the wedding. Your description of River all dressed up was enough for me to picture it and love it.

I will say that after I read this story for the first time, I only ever read the first two chapters afterwards because of how much angst there is. This is probably your most tragic story yet, and that's saying something considering how I've read all your stories up to "Fractured" and "Aftermath." I'll go into details in my later reviews, but I just wanted to mention that while this is written very well, the amount of angst is something that keeps me from returning to this story more often.
Alexander Derpington chapter 5 . 5/31/2009
Hope you don't mind that I'm not reviewing every story-I'm burning through them. Excellencies all around. Much appreciated.
yesimadramaqueen chapter 1 . 1/28/2009
the wedding was adorable. and thanks! i love my name too and it's completely true ]
Dirt Rider 712 chapter 5 . 12/19/2008
Wow, intense! Great story!

Dirt Rider
azarathangel chapter 5 . 11/28/2008
so amazing... just such raw emotion and gorgeous description all throughout these chapters. i have no words -ash
Angelthefiredragon chapter 5 . 11/9/2008
wow i loved it. I was just about in tears the last three chapters.

Awesome job xD
Boombaye1 chapter 1 . 10/11/2008
Read this one too.

We'll never forgive you for what you have done to us.
librarywitch chapter 5 . 8/16/2008
Kleenex time. This was...beautiful.
Fififelicity chapter 5 . 3/23/2008
Wow you weren't kidding about the angst in this one. It was truly beautiful though.