Reviews for Caught In A Ladder
charm13insomnia chapter 25 . 3/5
interesting fic
AMloverFF chapter 25 . 12/6/2016
This story has left me with a disturbing mixture of annoyance and amusedness. It's not about the quality of your writing, cause that is superb. It's more that your depictions of the characters yell in my ear how different our lives and personalities must be. I cannot understand their motives, reasoning, or (to me) lack of empathy. The only character I could see some reason in was Ogata, as he was the violent villain, who we've all seen before in some form.
This might sound cruel, as cushioning one's words while remaining clear is something I find hard, but I feel like your characters are almost painfully nonchalant and seemingly emotionally stunted. Though of course this is coming from a reader who struggles with her conscience if a stuffed animal has to sit alone, which brings me back to my earlier statement about us. You mentioned how your own experiences coloured your writing in regards to the lack of reaction to Hikaru's abscense in an AN. Which is perhaps the contrast that strikes me most. Backstory, I'm somewhat ill, which is why people would worry even if I left the house by myself and left a note. So while I can intellectually see what you're talking about, I am unable to comprehend it.
And even Touya "Meijin" and Hikaru's handling of the situation. Ogata kidnapped a minor (20 is majority in Japan I think), and Touya found said minor in poor condition. His initial "don't call the police" reasoning was Ogata's possible innocence, so why did he not call upon finding Hikaru? Or after securing him away from Ogata? He didn't try to secure evidence of Hikaru's injuries (and to me the ex-meijin always seemed like the zen and logical guy that'd think of that), and he let a 14(ish) year old talk him out of going to a hospital.
And then the part that confused me the most, throughout almost the entire story; why are these people never surprised? Never mind not being horrified? Take Ashiwara, probably the most emotional and happy-go-lucky of the people finding out, why is "oh wow, Ogata did what now" the extent of his reaction? Why is he not worrying over this kid who was kidnapped, why isn't he pissed off at this monster who held said kid for a month, why isn't he feeling betrayed that Ogata could do this? And why does his school not worry more? Hikaru'd probably have to keep his homeroom teacher somewhat up-to-date on what days he won't be present? How does this not ring alarm bells for anyone. AND HIS GRANDFATHER. I am honestly hoping that you suddenly remembered him before that phone call, cause his grandson was non-communicado for a month.
I have quite a few more if these, but I went on a bit of a tangent, so uhhh... Back to my point. (Also, apologies for the length of that lil' tangent, Annoyance kept feeding itself fuel.) It just really fascinates me how different our perspectives are. And I hope that you can find some amusement (or something) at how a kinda sheltered and pretty empathetic reader reacted to your story? Or well, at least that you got a "how it could be read"ish thing? Hahaha, anyway, I did actually really enjoy your story, even if Annoyance's paragraphs kinda made it sound otherwise, Amusement had a good time together with Suspense and Thrilled...ness?
Sana Lama Samaha chapter 25 . 7/29/2016
This was a good story. I read it one go, but I do have my share of criticisms. Mostly with how long it took to get Shindou any help. I mean, seriously, people are looking for him, but no one thinks to call the police? No one thinks a teenager (child, really) isn't vulnerable living on their own? Or that his sudden disappearance without word or warning isn't in any way suspicious? It's one think to not go to school or work, it's completely another if no one at all can find you even at your own home. Touya should have been suspicious as soon as he saw Shindou in Ogata's home... I really think the police, and an ambulance should have been called as soon as he was found, either by Touya, or Touya-Meijin. Shindou was not struggling violently against being taken to a hospital; if an ambulance was present, he might have been more cooperative to seek treatment. The whole situation makes me frustrated, sad, and bitter. I'm especially bitter that Ogata got off scott-free without anyone knowing his real crimes.

The writing was solid, but it shines through better in certain places. I like the scene where Shindou plays Touya, and I like how the game and it's encoded message was explained in later chapters. Having it be a message that the people playing or watching can't see is ingenious! I like Touya-meijin's calmness and consideration while he handles the situation, even while controlling his own emotions. He is the remarkable hero who anchors the ship in the storm. And this story has made me truly admire his character. Still, I think the last chapter is the best. It's a great way to wrap things up, and is void of any of the cliche's present in the endings of many stories (even published fiction). I really like that Hikaru told (part of) his secret to the Meijin. And the Meijin's reaction to the game, and his reassessment of Shindou is, I think, another brilliant example of his character. :)
Enuescaris chapter 1 . 6/15/2016
I usually don't like this type of story but damn, this one is really really good.
Guest chapter 2 . 6/13/2016
I was-no I am even right now after the chapter still laughing.
hachinonana chapter 13 . 3/27/2016
Haha wow Ogata's getting scary and insane now.
hachinonana chapter 2 . 3/10/2016
Ogata sounds like a rapist right now, honestly. Dun dun duun!
MysteryAsia chapter 25 . 11/29/2015
My emotions. I cried so much, you know. I'm an emotional person, I know. Really liked how you didn't do anything unrealistic regarding Hikaru's capture and rescue. Also, how his secret didn't all of a sudden come out into the press. I sometimes think that writers want everyone to know about the main character's abuse. Nice to read something I want to see for a change. Ogata's obsession with Hikaru became something big enough to land him in jail for child abuse. It was steady and interesting. Though I really wouldn't want to see something like this in real life... this was an interesting read. A really interesting read. Thanks~~
ZinaThePanda chapter 13 . 9/30/2015
This Ogata is an a$$hole and I really really hope that he's being ooc right now. I'm close to tears
Harmonic Bunny chapter 17 . 8/26/2015
I'm already crying this bad into this story, because Hikaru and my sheer frustration.
I'm crying so badly.
natkinnat chapter 25 . 8/9/2015
I really liked that Sai stayed and that Toya Meijin played him through Shindo in person. But why Toya didn't remember that he asked Shindo for an even game after the first time they played. I was so looking forward for that game to happen and it is here in your fic.
Though I didn't like the OOC villain Ogata at all. I so much like canon for the lack of violence and for being very intelligent all over. It has a particular light spirit in it and Ogata's behavior here disrupts that thing.
natkinnat chapter 14 . 8/9/2015
Ok, Ogata is quite nuts in this story. It is out of character as we are warned, but I feel a bit sad about him. He is disgusting in this fic while he is quite attractive in the canon.
natkinnat chapter 8 . 8/9/2015
Keeping Hikaru forcefully in his apartment is a serious offense already, it's quite illegal and starving him makes Ogata's crime so worse. If Hikaru's parents go to the police after Hikaru tells them about it all then if not sentence to prison time, Ogata will lose his reputation. It's a bit too much for him to dare such things if he is in his right mind even if he is obsessed with Sai, some common sense must be in place still, he's not a lunatic after all.
But I so enjoy the story plot line, I would like to know what happens next very much.
Rain of the Forest chapter 18 . 7/13/2015
YES! HE'S FREE! HE'S OUT! HE'S OUT! I SWEAR IF YOU PUT HIM BACK THERE I WILL PERSONALLY MAIM YOU MYSELF!
m chapter 25 . 7/13/2015
well it Is unlikely but now every story makes sense lol