Reviews for Samsara
Lia chapter 1 . 7/31/2013
That was so beautiful,so well written.
Really showed a part of kanan i wanted to see D
hinodegiri chapter 1 . 10/16/2011
I love this story. I think my favorite scene (at least as far as the way you wrote it goes) was the first one, when they took Kanan. I enjoyed the way you went right into the action and how you provided the backstory wherein Hakkai taught her self-defense. Little details like that helped me feel like Kanan was actually a person in and of herself, rather than a glorified symbol of Hakkai's tragic past. I wonder if this attention to characterization was deliberate, given the themes of identity in the piece. Either way, it worked for me.

I loved the thread and unbinding metaphors. They were pitch-perfect and fit well into the central themes of the story that I mentioned above.

In my opinion, the most compelling scene was not Kanan's death, but the flashback where she and Hakkai were separated as children. The whole screaming until she passed out thing gave me chills. I was almost disappointed that her death scene didn't have quite the emotionality of the seperation scene-but perhaps you meant it that way? I'd have to re-read the piece before making a concrete judgement on that. And I will, because this is an excellent work. Awesome writing!
SharpesLass chapter 1 . 6/4/2008
I really liked this. First of all, it was very well written and evocative. I also think the explanation of the relationship works incredibly well. I too have been frustrated with Kanan's willingness to die and leave her brother/lover to suffer in her absence. The mindset and fragile sanity of your Kanan makes this more excuseable and believable.

I also like the little glimpses at their childhoods.

Very well done. Het Hakkai is difficult to find and this is a wonderfully written story which slips easily into canon.
VoiDreamer chapter 1 . 12/28/2007
Wow...that was really beautiful...sad, but very beautifully written - thanks so much for sharing!
Ditch Gospel chapter 1 . 6/28/2007
Beautiful use of present tense, so subtle and smooth that it really isn't even noticable. Lovely.

Something that stood out for me is the parallel you've drawn between Kanan's last wish here, "live for yourself", and the similar line of thought Hakkai would soon hear from Sanzo when they meet.

You've painted a haunting depiction of a relationship destined for tragedy. Thanks for sharing!
Riana1 chapter 1 . 5/6/2007
I love this. Kanan has always been a figure of fasination for me since we only see her through Gonou's flashbacks were are more than a little bias. The relationship between Gonou and Kanan is shown as the perfect idyll, a frosted pink backdrop for the horrors to come. It's never seemed quite real to me; I see it as Hakkai's idealized memory. Both Hakkai and Kanan clearly had far darker sides to them, merely waiting for their moment to break through - and even if the ultimate canon tragedy of Kanan's suicide had been avoided, there would still be a breaking point.

I enjoyed seeing your version of it- the contrast of before and after was impressive.
ice illuser chapter 1 . 5/6/2007
it's so sad...although, i didn't think that a month passed before hakkai got there...anyways really good.