Reviews for Down Another Road
milkysupernova chapter 1 . 7/24
I thought I'm having a stroke or somethin' when I thought Dean die, good, as he's not.

okay, rolling to next story!
Guest chapter 1 . 11/2/2014
That was great! :)
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
Wooooooow. Ouch that's one horrible vision Sam's got. But if it keeps them off of that path for a little bit? Man, best of luck to them!
Rosetta Brunestud chapter 1 . 10/21/2010
Hey! D

You probably noticied that I'm checking out some of your stories, even old ones like that ehehe

I really loved it, you let me on tears... That was so so sad!

Congratulations for that ~

See you around

bhoney chapter 1 . 12/11/2008
Wow, so glad they averted that. It was breaking my heart!
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 5/29/2007
This was a great story and it had me going until the end. I can totally believe Dean to be driven to that extreme, that he would find no reason to go on. It's completely believable and I can totally feel Sam's frustration at not being to give him the will to live, the will to go on without him. EXCELLENT!

My Fav parts are:

But when Dean’s head comes up, when his eyes unknowingly stop level with mine, I know that Dean will not stray from the course he has plotted. Falling back on my hunches, I watch him release the magazine clip and slide it from the gun and whatever constituted my gut drops to my feet. “No…” I brokenly sob because this is more than I can bear, this final act is proving a thousand times over to me why Dean deserves happiness, why I idolized my brother, why I love him beyond the boundardies of life and death. With calm resolve, Dean ejects the bullet from the barrel of the gun, doesn’t bother to catch it with his quick reflexes but lets it ping against the concrete and flip twice before it stills on the ground. - SOBBING!

“It’s just too hard, man, being alone.”

The sight of tears pooling into his eyes and slipping down his cheek hurts me deeper, more fierce than a dead person should ever be able to feel.

As my own tears track my face, I watch Dean shake his head, swipe at the tears and draw in a steadying breath, his resolve set in granite. “I don’t want to do it anymore, Sammy. I can’t. Forgive me Sammy but I can’t fight any more battles, can’t bear to fail more people…like I failed you. I did the best I could without you, Sam and I know it wasn’t enough and I’m sorry for that. And if you and I met up again and you …you want to play it like we’re strangers…I won’t hold that against you, man. I know I’m shamed you, shamed Dad.”

“No, Dean! Never!” I protest but the rest of my words never come, instead I scream, “No, Dean! No!” as my brother grips the gun, closes his eyes a second and then steps from behind the Impala, makes himself an easy target as he raises his empty, useless gun. “No!” rips from me as the gunfire consumes every sound, as bullets slam into Dean’s body, spin him around.

Instinctively I run for him, wrap my useless arms around him, wanting to cushion his fall, to hold him maybe this last time before fate spins our paths apart forever. To my surprise, I feel the weight of his body in my hold, realize that he’s not falling anymore, see that his eyes are meeting my own, that his soul has finally acknowledged my own. “Sammy…” he chokes out, surprise and joy in his voice even as blood splatters his lips.

“I’m here, Dean. I’m here. I never left you, big brother. I couldn’t,” I confess, sinking to the ground, my brother’s dying body in my arms, against my chest. “We’re brothers, jerk. We watch out for each other, no matter what right?” Tears still seep from my eyes but it surprises me when Dean raises his hand, when his fingers brush away my tears and I lean into his touch.

“Don’t cry, Sammy,” he soothes me amid his own agonizing pain, as his grasp on this world begins to slip from his strong, calloused hands that now fall from my face

“It shouldn’t end like this Dean, not for you,” I choke out, my hand coming up to cup his face. With my arm around his back, I draw his limp body closer to mine, “I wanted you to be happy, to be safe, to live, Dean. It’s why I didn’t leave you, couldn’t leave you, not until I knew you’d be OK without me.”

“Too lonely…too hard… Sammy. Couldn’t…couldn’t go on ..anymore…was tired…too tired…” his words are barely audible now, blood choking him, coating his lips, running down his chin. - SOB!

“I know, Dean. I know,” I whisper, pulling him fully into my arms, letting his chin come to rest on my shoulder, feeling his breath flutter in my ear. “You saved a lot of people, Dean. I’m proud of you, Dean, proud that you’re my brother. I lo..” my breath deserts me as my brother vanishes, as my arms no longer hold onto him and as I look up in alarm, only darkness surrounds me. “Dean! Dean?” I yell, coming to my feet, turning around, desperate to see some light, to see my brother, to sense, to feel the soul that I know better than my own.

But the void is black, empty, merciless. “No!” I yell, hands raised in fists, raging against the unfairness of this fate, at the cruelty of this latest vision. “It doesn’t end like that! You’re lying! It doesn’t end like that! It can’t! Dean!” - DOUBLE SOB!
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 5/14/2007
Very Very good - you had me there - the first 2 paragraphs. I'm reading along, and then it's ... Whoa there - it's Sam talking!

I really liked! But I always do!
purehalo chapter 1 . 5/13/2007
Lousy? Oh hon you slay me with the emotion. Am sitting here still shocked by the end of the ep and this has just done me in. Once again a beautiful piece of writing that captures perfectly the tragedy and heartbreak of Dean.
Pog Mahon chapter 1 . 5/13/2007
the stupid computer is being slow and won't let me log in, but that won't stop me from reviewing!

If only this is how the season finale would turn out...I *almost* cried during the episode, but I rationalized that he couldn't possibly STAY dead...A friend of mine was completely dazed and devestated, because unlike the rest of us she's a Sam fan...heehee, she said she wouldn't be able to concentrate on the AP test!

Anyhoo, the story itself wasn't lousy, but parts were kind of confusing (such as, exactly what did Dean do to get all those police officers after him?), but that didn't detract from the story itself. I really liked it...and I seriously can't wait for the second half of the finale...stupid yellow-eyed demon thingy!
Izzy4 chapter 1 . 5/13/2007
I really enjoyed this. Very well written and heartbreaking.
Arinia chapter 1 . 5/12/2007
Wonderful! What a treat to read! You have a way with words and with the character's emotions, it was really good. I loved the ending, that was my favourite part.
angel679 chapter 1 . 5/12/2007
This story was just heartrending. I loved it even if it made me tune up and bawl. We finally get a partial hug and it's of course that death that causes it. The fact that Dean used suicide by cop does not surprise me becuase if there were the slightest chance that either one of them were making it to heaven he couldn't do it himself. I loved the ending where Sam said they weren't stopping for food and Dean asked ever (bless his heart his stomach is always empty it appears). I would assume though that demon would have found him anywhere though and the fact that Dean didn't go in probably saved his life. My personal opinion about the demon blood was that it was a way for the demon to mark the kids so he would know where they were at any given time. Anyway enough word vomit. Can't wait for your next chapter and any more stories.
lookaway618 chapter 1 . 5/12/2007
Thank you so much for sharing this story. I have to admit for the first few lines I thought it was Dean's POV during Sam's dying scene, but then of course realized that wasn't the case. I absolutely love the fact that this is Sam! It all seemed so real and characteristic of both brothers. I don't think you could ever write a lousy piece. And I was so happy to see another post so soon after Common Ground. :o)

great always!
mcatB chapter 1 . 5/12/2007
Oh, Cheryl... you had me sucked right into this! And what a way for Dean to go! Sorta... Nice happy ending. Thanks.
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 5/12/2007
I haven't read many tags from this episode, but when I saw your alert, I had too.

I liked your AU version.

The beginning was an interesting twist, because the way you wrote it, it could have been either brother's thoughts.

Reading Dean's pain of 'failing' his little brother and Sam unable to get his big brother to hear him, to ease the hurt, well it made me cry, so that means you did an excellent job of writing the scene.

I could see Dean reaching this point of not caring, of being to tired to go on and do wonder if this could occur even if he killed the demon. Dean is such a layered man and this season we have been seeing more of him, the love we always knew that was there for his brother, for his family, but also the fear that he won't step in front of the threat coming for his brother, or the deaths that he was not able to stop. (Jensen has done an awesome job this season.)

I liked the added twist in your story that it was all a vision. (thanks! I really couldn't handle a death fiction)

Nice job by Dean keeping the car on the road. I loved Dean's trust in his little brother, never questioning why salt was being poured in his beloved Impala.

What a perfect last thought by Sam, 'as we fly by the road to the cafe that almost cost me more than I could ever bear to lose.'

Enjoyed your story.

Until next time, take care.