Reviews for The Race of Cain
Guest chapter 1 . 11/10/2013
By far the best fanfic ever.
bina W chapter 36 . 4/8/2012
This was very good. You wrote in your final chapter:

"When Amanda died a few months later, Saavik sat in her cabin with only the firepot for company, and relived each of those feather light touches and how that presence had felt."

Why did you have Amanda die? Was she sick? I know in the Novel SAREK, by AC Crispin, that she wrote that Amanda died soon after the events of the Undiscovered Country, Star Trek 6. But that movie assumes the Enterprise mission with all those heroes and their adventures lasted 25 yrs 9the age of the show). A line in the movie by McCoy says they were together for 26 yrs. If we put Spock's birth at age 20...then put Spock's first mission, under Pike at 12 yrs (I think this was confirmed by Spock in one episode_maye the Menagerie 2 parter?) then the 25 yrs of service on Enterprise, that makes her death to be at age 57. That cannot be right. I will read afew more of your stories. Do you have any stories on any other websites?

bina W chapter 26 . 4/8/2012
Ch 26 is interesting but borderline creepy. The person has a twisted, convulated sense justice. I am not sure whom the killer is but I think it is a Vulcan.
bina W chapter 1 . 4/7/2012
This appears to be quite the story. I know your summary said it would be novel length. I wonder why Saavik and Spock no longer talk. Where there are Romulans..there is mystery. Everyone loves a good mystery. I will go on to the 2nd chapter.

Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 36 . 3/19/2011
Intriguing bit of work, to say the least.

The mystery of Saavik’s recent activities was an intriguing concept from the beginning, while your subsequent exploration of some of the factors motivating Valeris’s involvement in the conspiracy provided a rather interesting new perspective on the contrast between her and Saavik, beyond the simple fact that Saavik wouldn’t have betrayed Spock and the “Enterprise” crew like Valeris did (As well as such ideas as her warped view on friendship- relationships should benefit BOTH of the people in them, not just one- or her ‘reasoning’ for her actions regarding what she did to Spock and Saavik’s relationship; her point of view can be seen, but it cannot be agreed with).

Your various ideas about the hybrids’ biology and the intricate details of the disease killing them were well-thought-out, and the subsequent research to try and determine the origin and cause of the disease was clearly explored, each step leading neatly into the other while creating a very effective overall cast of both OCs and minor canon characters.

And as for the revelation about the perpetrator’s motives originating from a speech he heard McCoy make at one point...

Dramatic twist, to say the least; not only can the reader clearly see how the killer came to the decision to begin his scheme, but we can also see exactly why McCoy wouldn’t agree to that plan in the first place even if the killer can’t (Whatever atrocities were committed on Hellguard, no matter how abominable, the hybrids have no say in the circumstances of their origin; using medical research acquired from the deaths of others is one thing, but killing more sentient beings, even in order to ‘preserve’ the dignity of life, is a clear violation of medical ethics that McCoy could never tolerate).

Plus, of course, interesting tough with the final explanation about the disease’s origins; a neat and effective way of using some of the Vulcans’ most distinctive traits against them, to say the least, as well as leading into an effectively simple resolution.

Keep up the great work!
SpamWarrior chapter 36 . 3/13/2009
I can't even tell you how much I love this fic-it is, hands-down, the best Spock/Saavik story I've ever found. Hell, it's better than a lot of the published Trek novels. You've created such an intricate and fascinating plot, kept the characters wonderfully -in- character...I don't know how on earth you could go about trying to publish an Expanded Universe novel, but if there's any way to do it you really, really should. It's absolutely fantastic, and I look forward to reading the rest of your fic. :)
RLS83843 chapter 1 . 9/10/2008
Obviously, you have read Jean Lorrahs books. Good. I would have added something about any non-Hellguard hybrids, just to increase the population.
Not-yo-mama Yvonne chapter 18 . 5/24/2008
Wow! This is picking up momentum! I'm forcing myself to read only a chapter at a time... I like the medical speculation and the "detection" aspect of the plot, and look forward to reading more...
cobalt-blue chapter 36 . 4/23/2008
REad it all in one setting. Very well written. It reminded me of the Vulcan Academy Murders. You tied in some of my favorite Trek Novels, although having T'Pau still alive kind of threw me. (She died in Spock's World.) Still it has to be some of the best fiction (not just fan fiction) I've read in a long time.

Danny
AAmuse chapter 36 . 4/17/2008
I must admit I was reluctant to open the story – not because of anything specific, it’s just that I generally prefer ‘younger’ TOS – before Saavik, Valeris, retirement issues and co. They make me sad, so I try to avoid them. This time, however, I couldn’t for some reason and now I’m happy, I did read it. I won’t impose by any sort of praise, I do not feel I’m the right person to make rulings. I can only say this, when I read novels like that I cannot help but feel dreadfully inferior. Not because of the language, though it is undeniably nice to read something written with such high technical quality. Not because of the plot, though numerous words can be said about its ingenuity. But because of the uncanny way of getting under my skin when I read this. I mean I do not even like the later-trek stories, yet I feel unable to go away, until I’ve finished to the very last word. It is a rare and most valuable gift to get people so transfixed, especially when they do not want to be. The tiny psychological details are very plausible and catchy. Saavik-Valeris conversation is incredibly well done, top spot, in my opinion. Anyway, I can see you loved writing it. It’s only fair people loved reading.
CheetahLiv chapter 36 . 4/16/2008
What a perfect and haunting ending. This was a fantastic tale, and it was a pleasure to read. Thank you so much for sharing your amazing skills with us! Well done.
CheetahLiv chapter 32 . 3/6/2008
It's wonderful to see how this is all coming together. I never would have suspected the disease was psychosomatic, but now that you've mentioned it, it does seem like the perfect way to attack a Vulcan is through their mind. I loved Saavik's cheeky response to the Commodore in the previous chapter. It was sarcastic, but also perfectly in-character for Saavik. Great job with these 2 chapters-I can't wait to read more!
not-yo-mama chapter 8 . 1/25/2008
Cliffhangers! AH! I can't wait till I have time to sit & read 2 or 3 chapters at a time. This is a gripping story!
Ann Murry chapter 30 . 1/24/2008
Still an excellent piece of work and thank you for updating. Please keep it going.
Firewolfe chapter 30 . 1/21/2008
I so love this work. I think you have captured the characters perfectly. I hope you do a sequel soon. I also love the ones with the adult children of Saavik and Spock. Love to see more of them as well.

Lisa