Reviews for Sleepless
TOSoldtimer chapter 1 . 8/10/2014
Great little story. Perfect combination of humor and angst I had a Siberian Husky who snapped flies and mosquitoes. She never missed, even when she went blind in her old age. The hollow chomp was unnerving. I can see how Kenshin's attack on the flies would keep everyone awake. I'd have loved to see Katsura telling his misbehaving teenaged assassin to go to his room.
Sunnepho chapter 1 . 6/20/2010
This fic made me giggle and cringe and tear up... It's bloody perfect.

But damn, I wish I had Kenshin's fly-chopping skills these summer days. I'd render them into six pieces and laugh my head off.
openwindow chapter 1 . 12/9/2009
wow! very interesting! this is the first of this type of fic that i've ever read, and it's wonderfully written!
Lucrecia LeVrai chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
Humor/angst is a perfect mixture, I must say. It's almost impossible to write a fic about a young, tormented killer whose parents died of cholera (one who was later forced to burry bodies crawling with maggots) and still keep is fairly light-hearted, but you managed to pull it off perfectly. I was stunned with Kenshin's skill in this. He has enough precision to cut a fly in two without even scratching a wall – yet he still remains childishly terrified of displeasing the innkeeper. I loved the immature manner in which he spoke to Katsura; not to mention the leader's mild reprimand.

I really liked the comparison you sketched between death and flies. I also couldn't help but compare Kenshin's regular enemies – humans – to these insects, because the hitokiri can obviously dispose of people as easily as he can cut through flies.

Needless to say, your writing style was awesome, too. All in all, I loved this story.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 2/15/2009
Good one-shot. Flies really are annoying, and you portrayed the difficulty in catching them realistically.

Interesting how Kenshin associates them with death.
amamiya chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
I read this a while ago; just forgot to tell you that it's really cool. Great writing; very enjoyable one-shot. :)
SiriusFan13 chapter 1 . 1/15/2009
SQUEE! Okay, first of all, I love your writing style. Just descriptive enough so I can see the setting, but I don't drown in it. I love the fact that you are taking the flies into consideration... something I guess I'd never thought much of... it will be on my mind now when I am writing, I assure you. I love your focus on Katsura as the father figure... on Kenshin's concern about upsetting people... all remarkably done.

Katsura's eyebrow twitch was GREAT:P

ah... I can't say enough good things about this fic. Great job:)

Sirius
wheresmybook chapter 1 . 9/11/2008
Poor Kenshin! I'm on your side, I was the resident fly-killer at my house! Every summer there would be dozens of flies outside, attacking our poor dog because he was too old and tired to shoo them off! The worst is, when you kill a bunch of them, more actually show up to eat their dead.

I hate flies.
Inudaughter chapter 1 . 7/6/2007
wow. i say wow.
Ridicully L chapter 1 . 6/28/2007
Interesting idea! I would kill to see Kenshin try to get that fly while it's on Katsura's nose, though. Lol.

Just killed a big mosquito in my room this morning, so I fully share his sentiments.
mia chapter 1 . 5/28/2007
whoa. this is brilliant. really. I love the connection you made with the flies and his past. it would've been a depressing fic, if not for the great hitokiri hunting... flies? *sniggers*

katsura catching him in the act and asking him to go to bed in the end tied off the fic nicely

“Go to bed, Himura-kun.” He paused, waiting until Kenshin looked up at him before continuing. “If you can’t sleep, fine. Believe me, it’s understandable. But find something to occupy yourself in your room.”

*sniggers*
Stella-neko chapter 1 . 5/27/2007
What an awful comparison for poor Kenshin to think about every time he sees flies, considering that there would be so many of them everywhere! As morbid as it is, I like it. It seems to convey the attitude I'd imagine a war-time situation would have.

Besides poor Kenshin, I'd also have to say poor men stationed at the inn with him. They'd be too terrified to sleep, but unlike Katsura, too terrified to actually ever TELL him that he's keeping them awake!
Sekamu chapter 1 . 5/22/2007
I love the beginning, not so much the ending. The flies are good, and I love the way that Kenshin reacts to something like that, remembering his families, and the slavers and all. Really good, I like it. Not many people can pull off a "Humour/Angst" fic, but you do it very well. *claps* Congratulations!
Harlyn chapter 1 . 5/22/2007
"mini-Battojutsu" That's just priceless :-)
Cun chapter 1 . 5/21/2007
I knew it was a good idea to put you on my Author Alert list ;)

Even though this is not a new chapter of Revolution, I love it almost as much. My experience with one-shots has been many, but this one is clearly up amongst those I'll print out to read again and again

The idea is so simple, yet made me think "woah, what a story-line!"

Kenshin murdering flies... It's silly, and sad, and so so relastic. You're bringing a new layer of reality into the ruroken manga, and I cannot say enough how I love your characterization of Kenshin.

Now I'm off to read the new chapter of Revolution ;)