Reviews for Sanctuary
Lucrecia LeVrai chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
I've got a feeling that I could see 'true' Kenshin in this story. Not just an 'alter ego', a split personality disorder, like one of the previous reviewers, kokoronagomu, has pointed out, but a real man with real issues.

I particularly loved how you focused on his frustrated anger. Usually, when words 'anger' and 'Kenshin' are used in the same story, it's all about Battousai's killing rage, or Kenshin all angry about other people landing in danger. We rarely get to see him angry in a normal, human way, because of personal issues, because he has a very difficult decision to make.

All in all, I found your fic to be insightful and well written.
sagebrush-soap-opera chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
Oh, I like this. I wonder how I managed to not read it for so long.

I especially enjoy this peek into Kenshin's venting, the frustration he feels at both wanting to stay and needing to leave (and vice versa), and his thoughts on how necessary those six months in Otsu were, despite the tragic ending. So few people really ever deal with that. It's always "boo-hoo it ended badly and was a scarring time," and so I loved that you acknowledged that pain and still kept in mind that that was Kenshin's glimpse into simple happiness.

And tired after wandering for ten years... yes, indeed. I love the twist from stir-crazy Kenshin who needs to be on the move to feel comfortable.

So much here, in so few words. Truly excellent. Thanks.
junyortrakr chapter 1 . 2/10/2008
I could see something like this happening.
Seravia chapter 1 . 8/28/2007
This is such a sweet story. Kenshin and Kaoru would probably react that way. Kenshin is very reclusive, so it does seem like him.
kokoronagomu chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
your eloquent depiction of the man underneath the rurouni facade, not some alter ego or walking dissociative disorder but a man with pain and unresolved issues contemplating, no, stressing over the possibility of having to expose thereby confront them. a very frightening possibility.

BRAVO!

ginny
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 7/3/2007
I really liked this one! The image of Kenshin venting his frustrations on the tree, wood chips flying merrily all over the place, was a good one for showing how conflicted he was.

I particularly liked how you brought out his tangled emotions over the question of whether or not he should stay at the dojo. He made some good points about both sides of the issue. The anime never really said when he really made up his mind to stay or what went through his mind prior to making the decision, so a story like this was needed! It may have been an awkward moment (loved the blush and frantic pulling up of the gi!) but it was fun to read about.

PS I got your review reply and I agree with you completely about the 'Reflections' OAV
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 1 . 5/18/2007
Closing the distance, breaching the gap and opening the door, one bit at a time.
conspirator chapter 1 . 5/18/2007
No one has ever written, or at least written so well, about Kenshin's decision to stay at the dojo. Your notion of the dojo as sanctuary, his anger at himself for wanting to stay, the realization that he really was exhausted by all the wandering, his confusion at Karou's optimistic view of the world-it all explains so much. Thanks for writing this!
Angie-san chapter 1 . 5/18/2007
Beautifully written. You've done an excellent job capturing Kenshin's conflicting emotions during his first stay at the dojo. Thank you for sharing this piece.
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 5/18/2007
I like this very much. The way it focuses on Kenshin's exhaustion after years of wandering, his need for peace and sanctuary rather than the usual guilt/regret/angst is an interesting new angle.

His thoughts about Kaoru - "Bright blue eyes. A sunny smile. A kind heart." reflect the ten years and great gulf of experience between them. But she accepts him - and the gouged, savaged tree - without a flicker.

Thanks for a new look at Kenshin's motives.
Warg chapter 1 . 5/17/2007
I wonder HOW i missed this!

This was a very good read.. needless to say.

Clear and hitting. And only one conclusion reached.. kenshin needs a more secluded clearing :P

Thanks for the read gure.

skenshingumi chapter 1 . 5/17/2007
This was a wonderful study in capturing the complexities hidden under Kenshin's hapless rurouni mask. I like the idea of this event happening so early in Kenshin and Kaoru's relationship. With Kenshin's past and ten years of remaining remote, even a simple showing of frustration would be a big revelation. Of course, nothing is simple with Kenshin and this also reveals a degree of violence that he is holding back. As he battled with himself over his desire to stay and his need to go, I couldn't help thinking about Jineh. The makes that anger and guilt he feels at himself makes perfect sense when you see that he is fully aware of the dangers to Kaoru of his staying. I think you get the characters so right.