Reviews for Sanctuary
seikkyokuka chapter 1 . 7/26/2015
Good story :)
Guest chapter 1 . 6/14/2015
very nice perspective. one believes that the 'government' suspected him to be alive and allowed gohei to claim to be battousai and lure kenshin into showing up to stop the pretender's killing spree and possibly be convinced into working for them. now that everyone knows he would have to stay to protect kaoru. liked the portrayal of kenshin's emotional struggle, taking it out on a poor innocent tree. surely she can subconsciously feel him, that's likely how she found him. lol

i hope you got to see the 'rurouni kenshin' live action movie(s). if not, there are trailers for the first one and then for the two sequel movies. all three were great, the casting was fabulous! just copy/paste the codes into the youtube search for each video:

O4Bhr80HfyY -the first live movie's trailer
yaLOPVAuJs4 -first movie's character profile trailers
8qRFhP5PhMk -first movie's dojo fight scene from the first chapter manga and first episode anime
a7HrF77Ewkg -the sneak preview for the first sequel kyoto arc:
bAgmfGZbVrQ -the first official trailer for the sequel movies (subbed)
NCei4Vm1ZP8 -another trailer
emy8JkKV6LQ -character profile trailers
BSl-T1AioDQ -trailer for the second sequel 'the legend ends'. they had changed the storyline of the anime/manga for the movie and it is quite interesting and scary in the implications but the director had hinted on another movie (a prequel or something more... hopefully it'll be both remembrance and jinchuu arcs).

i'm counting on big box office numbers to motivate them to film 'remembrance' and 'jinchuu' arcs of manga... you can see the all three online at a place called: gooddrama (you can google - gooddrama rurouni kenshin - although i'm not sure it's available in every country) the three movies will be listed:
"Rurouni Kenshin (2012)"
"Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno (2014)"
"Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends (2014)"
they can be watched in any one of the three or four screens on the page in seven or eight parts and each are around two hours long. you can also get the box-set dvds from places like cd-japan or amazon... i am waiting to see if they will be making anymore before i buy them all in a box set. ;)
enjoy!
ginny
kokoronagomu. deviantart. com
A Midsummer chapter 1 . 8/29/2014
Ken-chan is too preoccupied with letting his demons show while Kaoru is too distracted by his half naked body. Pffft. Really, those two.
Lucrecia LeVrai chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
I've got a feeling that I could see 'true' Kenshin in this story. Not just an 'alter ego', a split personality disorder, like one of the previous reviewers, kokoronagomu, has pointed out, but a real man with real issues.

I particularly loved how you focused on his frustrated anger. Usually, when words 'anger' and 'Kenshin' are used in the same story, it's all about Battousai's killing rage, or Kenshin all angry about other people landing in danger. We rarely get to see him angry in a normal, human way, because of personal issues, because he has a very difficult decision to make.

All in all, I found your fic to be insightful and well written.
sagebrush-soap-opera chapter 1 . 2/21/2009
Oh, I like this. I wonder how I managed to not read it for so long.

I especially enjoy this peek into Kenshin's venting, the frustration he feels at both wanting to stay and needing to leave (and vice versa), and his thoughts on how necessary those six months in Otsu were, despite the tragic ending. So few people really ever deal with that. It's always "boo-hoo it ended badly and was a scarring time," and so I loved that you acknowledged that pain and still kept in mind that that was Kenshin's glimpse into simple happiness.

And tired after wandering for ten years... yes, indeed. I love the twist from stir-crazy Kenshin who needs to be on the move to feel comfortable.

So much here, in so few words. Truly excellent. Thanks.
junyortrakr chapter 1 . 2/10/2008
I could see something like this happening.
Seravia chapter 1 . 8/28/2007
This is such a sweet story. Kenshin and Kaoru would probably react that way. Kenshin is very reclusive, so it does seem like him.
kokoronagomu chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
your eloquent depiction of the man underneath the rurouni facade, not some alter ego or walking dissociative disorder but a man with pain and unresolved issues contemplating, no, stressing over the possibility of having to expose thereby confront them. a very frightening possibility.

BRAVO!

ginny
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 7/3/2007
I really liked this one! The image of Kenshin venting his frustrations on the tree, wood chips flying merrily all over the place, was a good one for showing how conflicted he was.

I particularly liked how you brought out his tangled emotions over the question of whether or not he should stay at the dojo. He made some good points about both sides of the issue. The anime never really said when he really made up his mind to stay or what went through his mind prior to making the decision, so a story like this was needed! It may have been an awkward moment (loved the blush and frantic pulling up of the gi!) but it was fun to read about.

PS I got your review reply and I agree with you completely about the 'Reflections' OAV
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 1 . 5/18/2007
Closing the distance, breaching the gap and opening the door, one bit at a time.
conspirator chapter 1 . 5/18/2007
No one has ever written, or at least written so well, about Kenshin's decision to stay at the dojo. Your notion of the dojo as sanctuary, his anger at himself for wanting to stay, the realization that he really was exhausted by all the wandering, his confusion at Karou's optimistic view of the world-it all explains so much. Thanks for writing this!
Angie-san chapter 1 . 5/18/2007
Beautifully written. You've done an excellent job capturing Kenshin's conflicting emotions during his first stay at the dojo. Thank you for sharing this piece.
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 5/18/2007
I like this very much. The way it focuses on Kenshin's exhaustion after years of wandering, his need for peace and sanctuary rather than the usual guilt/regret/angst is an interesting new angle.

His thoughts about Kaoru - "Bright blue eyes. A sunny smile. A kind heart." reflect the ten years and great gulf of experience between them. But she accepts him - and the gouged, savaged tree - without a flicker.

Thanks for a new look at Kenshin's motives.
Warg chapter 1 . 5/17/2007
I wonder HOW i missed this!

This was a very good read.. needless to say.

Clear and hitting. And only one conclusion reached.. kenshin needs a more secluded clearing :P

Thanks for the read gure.

skenshingumi chapter 1 . 5/17/2007
This was a wonderful study in capturing the complexities hidden under Kenshin's hapless rurouni mask. I like the idea of this event happening so early in Kenshin and Kaoru's relationship. With Kenshin's past and ten years of remaining remote, even a simple showing of frustration would be a big revelation. Of course, nothing is simple with Kenshin and this also reveals a degree of violence that he is holding back. As he battled with himself over his desire to stay and his need to go, I couldn't help thinking about Jineh. The makes that anger and guilt he feels at himself makes perfect sense when you see that he is fully aware of the dangers to Kaoru of his staying. I think you get the characters so right.