Reviews for Free Spirits
Forbinkun chapter 3 . 2/23/2011
Found this story after following up from your updated meta fic. All of your stories have a different feel from each other and from typical fan fiction. This one gas an almost ethereal feel which I found charming. I too would like to see this one continued as the potential relations between Akane and Ranma and his parents could take many forms. Despite not having the same feel as the mang, I find the characters sympathetic although I cannot fully fit Ryoga or Genma into their roles as portrayed. Both characters have serious flaws intheir world view and while the new Ranma is cured of his mouth disease they are still human and never changed their views in the manga at all-

Here Genma is responsible and Ryoga resolves his pattern of blaming others for his faults. Even gods cannot compete with human foibles, but this suggests several ways the story could progress without borrowing from the Kami realm which could supply numerous serious challenges as well as his mortal issues. Because of his/her apprenticeship to Ida-ten, the affairs of honor and law could be even more difficult than for Ranma who only had a mortal's sense of honor and law.

I do hope that you return to this one- I greatly enjoyed the read so far.
Lousy Poet Automaton chapter 3 . 12/13/2010
It's pretty interesting and it would be nice to see this continued (though I can see that it's probably pretty low on your priority list).

The main thing this story needs improvement in is that it is leaning a little too much towards this dreamy, somewhat indifferent state of affairs, where Ranma exists neither in the vividly colorful fantasy of Spirited Away, nor in the romance/comedy/action of Ranma 1/2.

If you ever do continue it, I'd suggest longer story arcs that cement Ranma's place in both realms. For example, the way you handled the Ryoga encounter is well-written, but again makes Ranma even more detached from the Ranma 1/2 storyline, without attaching him any further to the other world's more interesting parts. There are many approaches to make this story better, but the main thing is to either have him take more of an interest in either the mortal realm, or the spirit realm, or both, and have Ranma involve himself instead of being in this in-between state where he doesn't really seem to care about anything.
GeshronTyler chapter 3 . 5/6/2010
Wow, it's been a while since I've read one of your stories. So far this story is shaping up in quite original ways. I do hope that you'll continue this, though it's been a few years since it was updated. Since it's classified as a Ranma/Spirited Away crossover, I assume the plot will include Haku and Chihiro, and hopefully Yubaba and the Bathhouse and it's denizens. Ranma training to be the Kami of Law? So far he's avoided the pitfalls that came after Jusenkyou, but the situation with Ukyou will be difficult to resolve...

Well, wanted to let you know that an old FFML lurker would love to see this continued.
FrictionX42 chapter 3 . 1/23/2010
fascinating storyline.
leeyiankun chapter 3 . 2/4/2009
Wait...

This honor thing, will it even hold with all the bullshit the likes of Genma & Tatewaki pulls all the time? What about Shampoo or Ukyo? how will that even be resolved?

Yikes, if Ryouga's solution was to let him win. Getting Ranma into a gown wouldn't be that much of a crew in Ranma 1/2 is a dishonorable bunch. He'll fall sooner or later, unless the Gods gives him a better wayout.

The solution works though, I can't fault it.
Quontir chapter 2 . 5/1/2008
Did I mention that this is good?
phoenix.ru chapter 3 . 4/10/2008
/sigh/ such an interesting concept ...

and no update for abt a year (

A pity ((

Still hope you find inspiration to continue _
Quontir chapter 3 . 7/18/2007
I'm utterly fascinated. Please continue as soon as you can.

Q
foesjoe chapter 3 . 6/12/2007
This was ... interesting.

Do you plan to ... continue it?

I ... hope you do.
beege chapter 1 . 5/29/2007
Author's Notes: I think I originally wrote this in '03 or '04.

It was 03. I remember, because you showed me the first fragment in an e-mail when we were discussing 'Sky and Shore.' May I just say how cool it is to see the full story all these years later after how promising that fragment was.
Porthos112 chapter 3 . 5/25/2007
This is hardly what I'd call incomprehensible babble. In fact it's a quite enjoyable story with a credible reason for everything that happens. You see very few fanfictions that make the transition from mortal Ranma to immortal Kami seem so natural.

You're also to be commended for your clear and concise use of the English language.

Here's hoping to see an update on this soon.
Midoriryu chapter 2 . 5/19/2007
You certainly made an interesting story here. Many of the characters are different, yet recognizeable. Ranma is still Ranma despite the differences. I really like what I'm seeing here.

On to the next chapter!
Krimzonrayne chapter 3 . 5/18/2007
Very, very definitive.

The style, the quality... they clearly shows whose work this is... quite a rare find these days really, I just hope this means you're back writing again.

Rayne

p.s. Why didn't you post all of the Process of Elimination on FFN? I'm pretty sure there's more of in on Forestica.
Jimm chapter 3 . 5/18/2007
Very interesting idea. I was concerned earlier on that you might not let it diverge enough, but it's been great so far.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Daert chapter 3 . 5/18/2007
The story is good but lacks action, I would consider throwing in some followers of other gods trying to destroy Ranma before he is ready to take his place amongst the gods