Reviews for Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining
desi chapter 1 . 5/18/2012
Hi, thank you for posting this wonderful story! It was excellent written and a truly pleasure to read. I really enjoyed it and really was thrilled by Cicelys journey. I found it yesterday and nearly read it straight. Thanks a lot, best wishes! ;)
The Emerald Ink chapter 1 . 7/18/2011
In a word: Perfection.

I loved every single sentence of this story and have been re-reading it at every opportunity while at work! It takes a truly brilliant piece of writing for me to do that.

Everything about it was so wonderful that I cannot help grinning like a fool.

Thank you so so much for sharing.

Lady Devonshire xx
HannahPullings chapter 1 . 6/12/2011
That was beautifly written! I absolutely loved it. I felt as though I was really there with Cicely and I just wanted to be best friends with her! Great Job! Please keep writing and I look forward to anymore stories! très bonne!
Gollum4077 chapter 1 . 1/27/2011
Sup, person with an awesome name?

Well, you asked me to reivew, and I am. I didn't before cause it was somewhere around 11pm/12am, and I really needed some shut-eye. Anyways-

This was probs the first MaC fic I read because it was the 1st one on the page that look interesting. And my goodness, it was! I understand people have already suggested you split up the story into more than one chp, and it's not too late to do so for convenience. Just split up sections on separate word docos, then upload them. You know what you're doing I reckon. Dw, I had to (re)do it for my HP fic (still needs some work...)

Moving on, descriptions of the settings, characters, just about anything was brill! Real in-depth, love how Cicely has to hide herself, and how she manages for that long. Just the realationships (and rivalries) that form are great. The fact you get long reviews already singals I'm not alone on interest here. I will be honest; I only saw the movie for the first time last week, then I hopped on to see how many ff's there were. Thank goodness for you and your sequel. I've faved a few others too. Dr. M is so cool though, how can anyone not love his character? Sequel is cool too, I may send a review for that one soon too. Keep on writing!

G-4077 :D
karabell-karaboo723 chapter 1 . 12/4/2010
This is a good story, but i would have to suggest coming back and spliting it into at least five chapters.
MissThursday chapter 1 . 11/20/2010
I am quite taken with this story! You did an excellent job of keeping the reader absolutely enthralled while never giving away too much. Honestly, most OCs who fall into the "loyal, brave but impetuous and foolhardy anachronistic female" category bore me to tears, but you had me rooting for Cecily all the way to the (far distant) end. You fit so many historical and circumstantial details into the story- that really added to its sense of reality. The plot was well-developed without being unnecessarily dense. If I were to give you any constrctive criticism, I would reccomend being more fastidious about parallel structure (especially in action sequences)and... well, "ovinously" bothered me (you use it in te scene where Cecily and Fotherington are hggling over boat fares) as it is not a word. Yes, I looked it up. :) Did you mean "ominously"?

Anyway, splendidly done! I shall now go and read the sequel.

Quick's the word and sharp's the action,

-MissT
The Saintlike Weasley chapter 1 . 11/14/2010
I must say; that was amazing. Why in the world has no one reviewed this?

I loved the ending. Truthfully, this is my second time reading this, but I saw the movie on tv today and it just put me right back in the mood for this. I loved it just as much as the last time.

Keep writing wonderful stories!

sam
PhoenixCrystal chapter 1 . 2/19/2009
This is the most fantastically done story I've read in a while. It is so good that I favorited it before I'd read the whole thing. The dialogue is very good; it is the life blood of this story. I enjoyed Cicely's character very much, she was smart and interesting and willfully fun. I also loved the way you portrayed Stephen. He is my favorite character, and I love it when he's portrayed the way he should be... as an amazingly brilliant yet kind man.

There was, in fact, only one problem with this story (other than the fact that I want Maturin for myself, or rather for my OC), and that is that it was all one chapter. This fact made it very difficult to read, and it took me a very long time (which is saying a lot, because I read VERY fast). My only suggestion is that you go back and maybe break it into at least four chapters. If this is not possible, very well. I'll still love it. Thank you for an incredible read!
BloomFanatic95 chapter 1 . 2/13/2009
Kudos to you on an excellant story! This is one of the few masterpieces that has the ability to make my stomach flip and make me all giddy inside. Again, wonderful job!
Toranoko chapter 1 . 3/26/2008
It's been about 6 years since I've felt compelled to read another fanfiction. I've noticed a bad trend, and one which I suffered: the inclusion of a female character into a male-dominated story that turns it tipsy-turvy and throws everyone into a state of shock and deviates them from their canon selves. I don't know what it was about this story; the amicable characters, the under-lying hidden plot or just the beautiful way in which it was written, but I loved your story very much despite the female insertion flaw. I'm an avid Master and Commander fan and though I found parts of the story where characters acted strangely (ex. Nagel's acceptance of Cicely as a woman despite his superstitious ways), it did not deter from the tale.

This was a very good read; I'm surprised more people haven't stumbled across it thus far. Perhaps breaking it up into chapters rather than one long wall of text and story would make it less daunting and more reader-friendly. Also, if you ever do get the urge to edit through it again, might I suggest rewording parts of the battles and action scenes. I found myself struggling to imagine the sail scene where Cicely saves James; and I was utterly dumbfounded during the fight between Cicely and the Spy - the latter of which had such awkward dialogue and seemed very rushed from being a rape to an assassination and finally to conclusion. Fleshing it out and reworking some of those scenes might make it more understandable and realistic (really, who's going to try to rape someone atop a deck where battle is commencing all about?).

Cheers. :)
Verity Kindle chapter 1 . 5/23/2007
Well-written and I like the historical details you included about life on the ship and the crew's many duties. Very good.