Reviews for Christmas Spirit
Guest chapter 1 . 10/18/2013
Wow...so good. Love how you capture his wild emotional swings, so very in character.
StrightEdgeCmPunksGirl chapter 1 . 8/8/2008
wow that was grate i loved it keep up the grate writing and wait to read more of what you write
Keyklee chapter 1 . 7/10/2008
That was absolutely wonderful to read! It seems so in-character, for Erik as well as for Mme Giry, as if it could really have happened that way, and even be an explanation for the strange relationship they seem to share in the movie.

Its really very beautiful, though I feel almost mean to say that, because it is so tragic and heartbreaking!

Thank you so much for sharing this story here!
aSqueeintheDistance chapter 1 . 7/2/2008
Very good!

This is so original!

*off to go read your other works* ;)

luvs

squee
Vampiric Phantoms chapter 1 . 2/21/2008
Wow, that took a turn I hadn’t seen coming. It was very very good. I felt so bad for Erik as he was going through everything. I also feel bad for Madeline for how Erik reacted at the end, but I can see Erik doing that.
iamphantomgirl chapter 1 . 11/25/2007
I've read this before and stumbled on it again. Such a sad one shot. Now the holidays are getting close. Sigh. Thanks for this. You should write more. You're very talented!
A.C.Meadows chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
I read this story before starting on 'Saving Grace' and I liked it. I just went back to it now and I was surprised to find that it had only one chapter. I had remembered it as a much longer story. So well done for leaving such a vivid impression.
EarwenLalaith chapter 1 . 6/24/2007
Very well written! I loved this! It was very true to Erik's character. Bravo!
MadLizzy chapter 1 . 5/25/2007
A new story by Stine is always a cause of celebration! Thank you for posting it and sharing it with us.

This story is patiently, painstakingly told and it packs a whallop. Erik is so convinced of his innate worthlessness that he cannot allow himself the pleasure of self-love, or even the luxury of sharing gifts with others.

He knows that what he did may seem pathetic in her eyes, and he is not going to give into self-pity nor accept it from others. His ousting of Madeline will hurt him in more ways than one. I could imagine him sitting there, in about ten days, twisting around trying to take out those stitches and wishing she were there to help him. Yet your Erik, naturally, would never ask. He might demand, my offer to pay her for her assistance, but he would never seek her out, because he is so sure of rejection.

I loved the way you accounted for the cane that Mme Giry becomes famous for carrying in the ALW version. That was an elegant touch on your part.

Yours,

ML
Scarletquillraven chapter 1 . 5/23/2007
That was really good! I think I might just add that to my favourites list. I really like stories with Madame Giry in them, and I've always wondered about what Erik does during the holidays, so this fic was perfect for me. Your writing is great, too!
Sue Raven chapter 1 . 5/22/2007
Outstanding. Erik's feellings about Christmas are so poignant and understandable. His buying the little gifts for the lost child he once was is touching, but then he opens up his heart and buys the dolls for Christine and Meg. His misunderstanding of whatever Madeline was about to say sets a whole string of events in motion, culminating in another misunderstanding over the opened trunk. Erik, throwing the little gifts in the lake, brings tears to one's eyes. Please continue with this story.
Mominator chapter 1 . 5/21/2007
What a wonderful, yet sad story. Of course, if Erik had only stopped to listen things could have turned out differently, but that's Erik Kire for you. Too damaged on the inside to think anything of himself yet; longing for the things everyone else had - including a happy, normal childhood - yet knowing he wasn't worthy.

I'm not sure what was sadder, that as an adult he bought himself the toys his child self would have liked, only to end up destroying them, or that he so misunderstood Madame Giry's motives.

I love the insight you've given us into Erik's psyche. You've done a fabulous job of taking what we know and showing us even more.

Thank you SO much! :D

Barb (still wiping away tears)
Mereidia chapter 1 . 5/21/2007
Oh, I should've read the genre and then I wouldn't have been so surprised...the title fooled me into thinking that it was going to be a happy sort of Christmas thing or at least one that ends happily. Instead, I can honestly say that it was undoubtedly the saddest thing I've read in quite a while. It actually brought tears to my eyes at certain parts (quite rare for that to happen, I assure you). The part where he gave the gifts to himself...God, that was heartbreaking...truly heartbreaking.

I think you captured Erik perfectly in this piece; the quality of writing was beyond excellent and the story was very original. This just might be my favorite out of the stories that you have authored. Congratulations on a wonderful piece!
phantom-jedi1 chapter 1 . 5/21/2007
So sad! She was only trying to help. A well-written little story.

phantom_jedi
HDKingsbury chapter 1 . 5/21/2007
It is always a joy for me to see a new story by you, Stine. You have a lovely writing style, and have an excellent insight into Erik's character.

At first, the title "Christmas Spirit" led me to believe this might be a work with a bit of Phantomy Phluff, but it turns out I was wrong. Instead, I found a story that is bittersweet at best. I'm not complaining, mind you! I applaud what you've done here.

The last line, "You were right, Madame. I’m not a religious man," tore me apart.

Thank you for posting such a touching story. I hope that your muse continues to inspire you, and that we will see more from you in the future.

Your fan,