Reviews for One Who Will Not Die
xandria chapter 1 . 3/16/2010
Well done! This is an excellent bridge to both stories! It also doesn't stray far from Square's official stories that focus on Aerith's and Sephiroth's spirits in the aftermath of FFVII ("Case of Lifestream: White" and "Case of Lifestream: Black"). In fact, your story could be seen as an improvement or elaboration of both stories. Good work!
Gigei chapter 1 . 5/10/2009
I liked it. Right before AC, right? I tried watching AC with the English dub and had to stop, it was just too awful! Currently trying to get the Japanese version with English subtitles.

I wonder what happened after Sephiroth was defeated in AC? Are you writing a sequel to this?
Neophyte Ronin chapter 1 . 9/17/2007
Well I don't have to tell you twice about your odds at nomination.

Grammar/Spelling/Punctuation: Technically flawless.

Style: To tell the truth, I'm not terribly partial to your exact style of writing. To me, it often seems a little too cool and detached. However, you still get accolades for depth and detail; you know all the little things that would make the brief moments work.

Flow/Structure/Pace: Also, even with a story as short as this, there's the nagging notion that fewer words could perform a better job. The endless search for phrases or winning sentences that consolidate incredible depth of meaning is a hard task, though. The pace remains solid in any case.

Plot: This prelude to the movie works better than that stupid introductory narrative (which vainly attempts to clarify things for the sake of unenlightened viewers). It also explains how Tseng and Elena survived. They went to the Northern Crater, right? Somehow, there's the impression of violence that ended up being a lark. Aerith's momentary presence on the scene would account for their survival. Anyway, it's also nice to see Aerith appeal to Sephiroth's lingering human side.

Characterization: One of the reasons people might scoff at a movie like Independence Day is because the aliens really don't have a face. There's no real emotional incentive to repel them. Likewise in Final Fantasy VII, the freak Jenova-kind of like an interstellar invader ala Nyarlothotep-has such an alien mind that it cannot relate to humans. It is this reason that I can't really vouch for giving Jenova a voice. She never talked in the first game, and this aspect of utter impersonal distance makes her a hard sell as a villain that anyone would be emotionally tied to. So I understand that you gave her a voice to make her a truly vicious adversary going up against the Cetra child as well as the planet. Doing so gave Jenova an actual bite to her character. Aerith is well-represented and Sephiroth still has a sort of foolish pride thing going on after getting his ass handed to him. It's believable.

Canon Consistency: Again, Jenova never had a voice. Everything else flies, however... except feeding memories into Sephiroth that don't fly with what they told him in life (that Jenova died at childbirth). Why he failed to properly scrutinize the illusions feeding his mind, I'm not too sure.

Originality: Not too many people write about the Lifestream as a setting unless either Aerith or Sephiroth is involved. It's a good premise, and it stands out amidst what most people will generally write about.

Does this fit into being a Best Short-Fic? Well, it's certainly a solid piece... not your best, of course, but worthy of the thought. I hope it gets as far as it can to take the gold.

Overall, it's a short, cool story that definitely captures an old battle, but it took a liberty that somehow irks me. Maybe it's just me. Keep up the good work (Mercenaries is coming along nicely, by the way).
Undeniable Mystique chapter 1 . 6/16/2007
Wow, the description in this story is simply amazing. It seems you really understand the story well.

Keep up the good work!

~Undeniable Mystique~
ToMordor chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
I really enjoyed this, it was a very unique story. I have never seen anyone explore what happens in the Lifestream in a way that you did so successfully. The dynamic between Aeris, Sephiroth and Jenova was very interesting and I love the explanation that ties FF7 and AC together for them.

Very original and well written! I am going to add this to my favorite stories.
turquoise duck chapter 1 . 5/29/2007
Wow. This is really good. A fantastic bridge between the two and explains what square-enix does not. Keep up the good work.
MyIncentive chapter 1 . 5/25/2007
Nice fic

It really does tie in with the AC storyline, haha they should've made a part like this in the movie at the beginning, where Aeris gets another chance to verse Sephiroth - even though I am an Aeriseph fan. Ah well.

Anyway nice job D

Vehrec chapter 1 . 5/23/2007
Hah! I saw this on LJ last night while I was out hunting for fic! I have you now! er, wait, what journal was that again . . . crap.

Perhaps it was not Sephiroth's time. Perhaps one should not force him to surrender to the Planet like that. But one will never know. He's so twisted up after Jenova got through with her ultimate puppet, I'd be shocked if he ever had a coherant thought that didn't involve the word MOTHER. And she's barely even blood in all likelyhood. After all, when's the last time you saw him sprouting tentacles. . . don't answer that.
Lady Valtaya chapter 1 . 5/22/2007
That was lovely. I think it could very well stand as a precursor to AC!

My favorite part of this was when I felt sorry for Sephiroth... He never knew Lucrecia- how could he? She has been gone a long time. Hojo never let her see thier son. Lucrecia was sick with what the Jenova cells were doing to her body and emotionally exhausted by trying to save Vincent's life by giving him the alernate form chaos; she gave up.

Jenova is a patient and cruel enemy. It seems to me that you have captured her well. I can see her giving Sephiroth false memories like that to keep him loyal to her.

Aerith seemed perfectly captured too. Especially her first kiss with Zack! LOL... Yep, can't help it, I have a one track mind!