Reviews for Harry and the Magic Factory
RHJunior chapter 22 . 5/22
"People shouldn't live past their normal lifespans."

Well then you'll be giving up that unnatural modern medicine, then?

You are a living thing. Your purpose is to SURVIVE- because all other purposes, from base to noble, are rather DEPENDENT upon your doing that. Death is not a friend of anything, and should be fought like any other plague upon the wellbeing of man.
RHJunior chapter 21 . 5/22
Destroying the nuclear arsenals of the world would almost immediately plunge the world into war. Cooler heads would try to cover up the turning of radioactive materials into lead, but dictators, tyrants and warmongers are not among them. They would scream bloody murder, accuse their neighbors and enemies of sabotage and, no longer held in check by the nuclear might of their enemies, take up the more traditional weapons of war... tanks, bombs, planes, guns... and begin to rampage.

Destroying all the radioactive materials in the earth would make things WORSE. In case you've forgotten, uranium powers more than just bombs. Cities all over the world would go dark as nuclear power plants ceased to function... which would kill tens of thousands, if not millions, due to the sudden failure in cities dependent upon nuclear power plants of medical equipment, water purification plants, heating, cooling, refrigeration, lighting, household appliances... etc.

And then there's the sudden surge in cancer.
surprise: the natural environment is radioactive. In fact, you are exposed to more radiation in the middle of a forest than is legally permissible in the work areas of a nuclear power plant. And it turns out this is necessary for our survival: it seems that this radiation- from the sun but also from natural radioisotopes in our environment- helps kill off damaged cells in our bodies before they can mestasize into cancer. Plants, animals, and people would start developing tumors rather quickly.

Plus radioactive elements are in our ecosystem. Did you know bananas are radioactive? It's the potassium. Imagine what would happen to every banana plant if you yanked the potassium out. And a sizable portion of the CARBON in living things is good old Carbon 14- a radioactive isotope.

And to prevent anyone from simply digging up more and making new nukes, you'd have to eliminate radioactive substances clear down through the crust, if not all the way through the earth. What effects that would have on geological stability I can only guess.

The utopian fantasy of making all the bad scary bombs go away- the same bad scary bombs that saved millions of lives, allied AND Japanese, by ending WWII early and preventing the need for a land invasion of Japan (which would surely have turned Japan into a rubble-strewn wasteland) and kept the world from being devoured by the Soviet union- would turn the world into a post-apocalyptic mess of conquest-crazy armies of tumor-raddled warmongers rampaging across a blighted planet. Assuming everything didn't drop dead when all the radioactive materials in the world suddenly transmogrified into lead right inside our bodies.
RHJunior chapter 15 . 5/21
uuh, because Christmas is fun, and things like kindness, charity and familial love are still good things? Jees, who the hell has a problem with a fat guy with a beard who gives away free stuff?
RHJunior chapter 11 . 5/21
The major reason big drug companies are failing is because they are bottlenecked by FDA approval, and restrained by ruthlessly short patent periods... which begin when they submit the drug, not when it's approved.

Other products on the other hand are tested by private institutions- such as underwriter's laboratory- which prevents bottlenecking and encourages efficiency, speed, and thoroughness among the testing companies by forcing them to compete against each other, rather than being an unaccountable government monopoly.
RHJunior chapter 6 . 5/21
SOmeone seems enamored of academia. Or the pretension of MENSA.

I'm afraid my suspension of disbelief imploded at the point harry started describing the requirements to be a full citizen in his fiefdom. He's effectively created a system where 99% of the adult population has no rights because they're not genius-level intellects.

And if you think a system run by intellectuals would be a utopia, you've not spent a damned minute of your life around an intellectual. Intellectuals all tend to have the same common pathology: a depressing tendency (Like Dumbledore) of thinking that because they're so smart, that they know better how to run everyone else's lives for them. But Book-smarts is not the same thing as wisdom, in fact there's not even a correlation between the two. In fact they often exclude each other.
Cynical0range chapter 6 . 3/25
I reallllly don't like Snape junior. What an ungrateful, traitorous, jealous little worm. He reminds me of canon Ron but with smarts and ambition enough to make things troublesome.
missgsmith51 chapter 23 . 3/14
This is an incredibly interesting story. Why have you stopped writing it? I do hope you have plans to finish. I realize it's nearly nine years since you have done anything to it, but this story begs to be finished. Please ... At least give us the trials and ultimate fates of Dumbledore and Umbridge, and tell us what ultimately happens with Snape's son, Bracus. I'd also be interested to know where Amelia finally lands in the Potter world.

Okay, I cannot tell a lie ... I really want to know everything that happens. What happens when whoever finally makes the Wizards understand that their government has been illegal all of these years? What happens to Hogwarts? Does Molly ever forgive her sons for becoming successful outside the illegal ministry? Does Arthur ever go to work for the Potter corporation? It seems there is a lot that can be done with your story. Perhaps some time away has inspired your muse. I hope so.

Thanks. I've really enjoyed your story thus far.
missgsmith51 chapter 20 . 3/14
So ... the Manipulator doesn't really like being manipulated. I'm not surprised. Did Harry choose his eye-watering robes on purpose, to out-eye-water Albus? I love his way of disregarding Dumbo's request to be called Professor, the way Dumbo always disregards using others' appropriate titles and calling them by first name, usually, to intimidate them. Very clever.
missgsmith51 chapter 16 . 3/14
Oh, goody! I love Amelia. She is such a strong character, the hallmark of honesty and integrity, and one of the few in the Wizarding world with the guts to tell Dumbledore to stuff it when he starts to obfuscate and equivocate. (What do the Goblins say about him? Talks much but says little? A perfect description, I think.) Is she the only one in the Ministry whose BS detectors work? I think she would make a great addition to the Potter team. Besides, she and Mad-Eye work well together.

It would be good if the Longbottoms could join the Potters. I'm surprised they haven't already. I don't blame the twins for wanting to get away from Molly ASAP. Given the Ministry treatment of Arthur over the years, I don't understand why she would want to see two happy, creative kids like the twins in such a soul-destroying environment. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of who they are. Percy I can understand, but not the twins.

Snape Jr. is a real little pill, but it seems his eyes may be starting to open a bit. Even Severus knows Dumbledore is just a seemingly more benevolent version of Voldemort, when you get right down to it. He just uses different kinds of torture and enslavement. Of course, Snape made his choices and is now reaping the consequences, so I have no pity for him. It's too bad, however, that he didn't enlighten his son before Bracus got caught in Dumbledore's traps. Perhaps Harry can still save him.
missgsmith51 chapter 13 . 3/14
Severus Snape ... blasted the name of his son, Bracus, off the family tapestry.
"We won't have any filthy squibs in this family," he muttered over and over again.

Wow, that's harsh. I guess love doesn't really enter into it.
missgsmith51 chapter 8 . 3/13
It seems "git"hood truly can be passed from father to son. Even though we haven't gotten to see Severus Snape in action in this story, he seems to have passed his worst canon (and fanon) traits onto his son. I wonder who his mother is. Is she a character from canon? Is she as big a git as Snape and her son?

Well, it will be interesting to see whether the little tosser survives his possession. I'm curious to know whether or not he WANTS to be a Death Eater. Is that why he did what he did? What effect will Riddle's release have on people like Bella?
missgsmith51 chapter 2 . 3/13
It sounds as if young Mr. Snape might need to have his memory of the magic factory modified.
Calmzone1 chapter 22 . 2/5
fabulous, riveting story. So glad I stumbled upon it. I know I was reading it before, but I lost it so I can't remember if I ever read to the end. I really hope you get the opportunity to finish it one day. And if people say they want it to be more like Charlie and the Chocolate factory, they can go read that. You did a great job blending the idea of the Chocolate factory together with the Harry Potter world. Thanks for sharing
senawario chapter 1 . 1/17
awesome, even if abandoned. I suspect I won't care too much about the rest; my primary interest is taking down the bad guys and that part seems to be done.

Especially Dumbles - one of the best take-downs I have ever seen. Warms the heart, made my day (I truly consider Dumbles and Snape to be the real bad guys in HP, not Voldemort. Voldemort is too... obvious. These two, hiding behind the "light", I love to see taken down!)
frostyhogwarts chapter 23 . 11/4/2015
This is a really great story. I have enjoyed reading it. Thank you