Reviews for Forging the Sword
sunlitglass chapter 15 . 10/19
I'll tell you what, the magnitude of unsatisfied people frothing at the mouth for "oh god, please just another chapter" are sincerely praying for their misery to end; the misery of having to wait in anticipation and cry and imagine/dream over and over of what could have been. What would have happened had this story had been continued, that serious depressed feeling of "only if" in the context of desperately wanting more. Because for all purposes, this story existing while being incomplete is like watching a starving creature smell and see exquisite/magnificent/aromatic/ cuisine, a FEAST being laid out in front but being unable to touch or even taste. What you have done is cruelly deprive us of the luxury of having this story completed. I'm sorry I only want to compliment you and this story for like everything, but am so frustrated and unable to get this story out of my head that I can only point out this cruelty and beg for more like a puppy dog deprived of any attention; like a baby having a tantrum. So dear author, please pic this story up again and finish it off, even if it takes a few more years but please don't abandon it.
Sincerely, from a lovesick reader.
SilentSnowLeopardNinja chapter 15 . 10/19
My god is there a LOT of veering onto different paths, dynamics, decisions, consequences and such. It's lovely. I dislike certain things like Peter still not being caught out, the Weasley parents illogical and unreasonable dislike of Harry(the child almost died and did far more than the school staff in attempting to save your daughter and you blame that same child for her death when the fault lies with ALL the adults involved including the culprit Malfoys? Ridiculous), McGonagall's unfair/unjust attitude towards Harrry, that no one still knows HOW Harry was entered but are making him do it even though it's against the rules and stipulations they set up etc.
I do find it intetesting that you didn't make it a "only those of adult age" can enter and you never clarified if Harry was the only Hogwarts champion or a secondary one like in canon. I'm hoping you have Harry prove the propaganda/theories on wandless magic incorrect since wands are a tool to help the weaker and average wizard be on level with the stronger (I believe is how you phrased it) and do the focus for them as I highly doubt wands had always been used by all of them since the beginning and that there wasnt once a time that those powerful became a source of jealousy to those who weren't but wanted to be as capable as those without a focus. Because it's very weird for them to so steadfastly believe that they can't do something magical that a wand can't replicate but that wandless magic can't do everything a wanded magic can do.
Regardless this was enjoyable and I agree that Harry was more than just luck and chance(and should have been seen doing more proactively since he is individually capable) and I like that you have him learning more on other aspects of divination as he's shown to just have that weirdly accurate insight on certain things, actions to take, and people that was never properly developed, only utilized for plot in canon.
I do hope you finish this some day. I seem to have read the 1st chapters or so years ago and forgot about this cuz a LOT of the other stuff isn't ringing a bell at all lol.
If the time turner is like jet lag, it usually takes day for every hour of time difference, so 6 hours difference would be 6 days
13tempest chapter 15 . 10/8
More than 6 years since the last update. Still, this story is my favorite in the fandom. The characters, magic, the friendship... It's soo good, breathtaking, addicting. I reread it regularly, this might be the story I read the most. I just finished my latest marathon, in fact. Although I'm hoping that a new chapter might come (whenever that last 10k part of CH16 is written), I still don't regret reading this even if it remains unfinished forever.
The Pathological Liar chapter 15 . 9/24
Y abandon the story?
Ruki88 chapter 1 . 9/15
This story. THIS STORY! WHY is it abandoned?! This is a crime! A crime, I tell ya!
BorderLand chapter 15 . 9/5
Too bad it's abandoned, this story become my favorite Harry Potter fanfiction and the thought of not knowing what will come next is depressing but I don't regret reading it!
BorderLand chapter 13 . 9/5
These three are really becoming too cool for school. Harry is breaking magic and is some unholy hybrid of Grifindoor and Slytherin , Hermione is a machine and the living embodiment of scary bookworm, Ron is just a total badass who happens to be the most sane of his friends.

By the time their reach their seventh year...well they might accidentally take over the magical world.
RSegovia chapter 15 . 9/3
Great story so far! I like how you make changes and stick with the logical consequences of them. Ginny dying was apparently enough scandal to keep the TT from being held at Hogwarts, but Harry still gets entered and has to actually go to Durmstrang. I'm curious about how Harry got entered without Peter Pettigrew escaping? And with the teaser about Sirius Black, did he see the news about Harry in the paper, or find out about Scabbers somehow? I also like that Harry and the trio are creative and think outside the box, while also being scarily determined and completely loyal to each other. I'm sad that you seem to have abandoned this story for the last few years, but I would be hypocritical to complain. Hope you get the inspiration and motivation to continue!
Dj
Du
a pair of ragged claws chapter 15 . 8/18
This is an amazing story! You have a skill with portraying characters’ emotional development. I love how this story diverges from the original quite a bit, yet the key elements are still there (just changed from Ginny’s death). I love your take on Harry, Ron, and Hermione—their friendship here feels very real and true to the canon characters if they had experienced these things. I also love the slow-burn revenge tale, and it too feels very realistic—I can just imagine the kids being furious and it being worse because of the adults’ letting it go, except for those little grudges against Harry on the part of the Weasleys (understandable and realistic but sad) and McGonagall (less forgivable but still very in-character, I think, and an example of a Gryffindor character flaw with impossible moral standards and judgment of others), which undermines almost all of Harry’s adult support network and forces him to be more independent. I also like how Dumbledore is neither a saint nor a villain in this story, and Harry is resentful and distrustful in some ways but doesn’t hate him. Yay for nuanced and complex characters and relationships!

Usually I skip long A/Ns, but yours are really interesting and show how much thought you put into your authorial decisions, and they’ve reminded me of things I had forgotten or never noticed about canon (such as the venomous lime green basilisk skin, hahaha).

I am really intrigued and satisfied by your portrayal of Harry’s development of wandless magic—you make it difficult and slow-going, frustrating and even a little scary in places, as opposed to those SuperHarry fics where he just concentrates, flicks a finger, and suddenly begins mastering magic that no one else can do. Your backstory for why Harry started doing the wandless magic also makes sense within the story and I can imagine canon!Harry doing something like that if necessary (and it also rationally explains why no one else really works on wandless magic). So many of Harry’s and his friends’ decisions are very much a product of their ages and their lack of great adult options, and it’s so nice to read a fic where they actually act like thirteen year olds (who have been traumatized and had to grow up too fast, but who are still acting their age in many ways), yet the emotional and psychological drama is so good that it never feels like a juvenile or limited story.

I can’t wait to see where the plot is going! I really hope you will come back and that fanfic will be a good creative outlet for you again. I understand what you’re saying in your last A/N about having to create a whole new school (and it sounds like you’re not sticking with canon tournament events, which is kind of a relief to hear—after reading so many fics, I tend to glaze over every time Harry goes out to fight a dragon, etc., unless there is some really compelling twist that makes it psychologically interesting or significantly changes the plot). In case you are looking for inspiration about Durmstrang, two of my favorite Harry-goes-to-Durmstrang fics are The Boy Who Lived, by the Santi; and The Black Heir, by firephoenix8 (but be warned that this latter one becomes pretty graphic HP/LV eventually—I think you can get a sense of Durmstrang without having to get into that, though, if it bothers you). From your writing, I’m pretty sure you’ll want to invent your own take on Durmstrang while sticking to the bits we know from canon, but sometimes it can really get your creativity working when you see examples of other people’s visions of something similar. No matter what, I’m just hoping you’ll come out of your retirement and let us know what happened. If you’re not planning to finish this at all, would you be willing to post the partial chapter 16 that you mention on your author’s page? Either way, thank you so much for writing and posting this story so far!
SeverusTheKnight chapter 15 . 8/12
Disregarding the three year break when I realized the magnitude of the story I'd started as a teenager, and panicked because oh god, what had I done?

I pray your new six-year break is over, because I want to see this story end!
himalay.senapati chapter 14 . 8/10