Reviews for Small Beginnings
charmony chapter 8 . 7/24/2012
Aww, I loved this. Anya is so gorgeous and I loved the mother you portrayed Zoe as, comforting, protective and strong. Again, I am so thrilled by your desire for the happy ending. Brilliant stuff! :)
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 8 . 2/22/2012
VERY nice bit of work, in my view.

Your characterisation has been good so far, but you’ve generally stuck to pre-existing characters- we might not have seen Kaylee’s parents, but we know of them- while OCs have just fulfilled a role and left it at that; Anya’s not only quickly established as a more long-term ‘investment’ due to her connection to Zoe, but she also comes across as being a potentially interesting character on her own merit, her father obviously possessing some promising ties to the Independents while her time with her mother suggests at her own strength in coping with rapid upheaval.

As well as Anya’s introduction, your analysis and ideas about Inara’s pre-show past certainly seem interesting; they might ignore recent ideas about her suffering some kind of illness, but your plan certainly fills in most of the gaps in her background based on what was known at the time you wrote this, to say nothing of your expert analysis of her mental state regarding her currently complicated relationship with Mal (And that was BEFORE River was added into the equation).

The slavers crisis is also handled well, I assure you; you not only create a very effective impression of the slave ship that Zoe was trapped on, but also described Mal’s plan to rescue her in exceptional detail.

A part of me still thinks that maybe River and Inara could have a more detailed ‘talk’ about their respective feelings for Mal, but all in all this series continues to be an excellent bit of work; keep it up!
Alexander Derpington chapter 8 . 6/2/2009
Hmm, Jayne sitting down with Inara for a cuppa tea. I can't rightly envisage such a scene... well, I guess I'll have to see.

Thanks again, I'll keep on reading.
Alexander Derpington chapter 3 . 6/1/2009
This is mostly irrelevant, but I've been wondering if you use some kind of OCR in your writing (writing on a tablet or something, perhaps)? I ask because sometimes "Mal" gets transcribed as "Ma!", "find" as "fmd", and so on. These are difficult errors to make on a keyboard.

Other than that, smooth sailing! I am very much enjoying the story. Thanks!
yesimadramaqueen chapter 8 . 2/1/2009
ok now im addicted to these lol. i love the inara/jayne. usually is mal/inara and river/jayne but i like these pairings way better. and zoe and anya! aw love this. always do ]
Dirt Rider 712 chapter 8 . 12/31/2008
Another great installment! Great work!

Dirt Rider
azarathangel chapter 1 . 11/29/2008
oh zoe... if only you knew what was in store for you haha. i love rereading these and knowing how so much ends up working out hehe -ash
Boombaye1 chapter 1 . 10/11/2008
Do you want your loyal readers and reviews abandon you ?

Write, and that power could be yours !
librarywitch chapter 8 . 8/16/2008
WA! Maybe they would still be on if the jerks at the studio would read your fan fic! Awesome, just simply awesome. Are you sure your name ain't Joss?
Yendor chapter 8 . 5/18/2008
This is good stuff.
AmeliaViolet chapter 8 . 10/7/2007
Love it. Your stories are awesome. x
Jayiin Mistaya chapter 8 . 8/26/2007
Looks like I was right about Anya; right glad to see her, too. I'm interested in where you're going with Jayne and Inara, and I'm glad there's more to your series.

And yes, it appears I'm going to be reading all of them tonight. Even went so far as to light my pipe.
Jayiin Mistaya chapter 7 . 8/26/2007
I love the interplay between Inara and Jayne, and from the counseling sessions - well, one would think that you've seen or known or are a counselor yourself. Neatly done.

Zoe being maternal - this I like. Why do I suspect Anya of being a new addition to the crew?
Jayiin Mistaya chapter 6 . 8/26/2007
Well, I can see Mal decided to handle that quiet-like. Only kill a FEW of the slavers...I'd not like to see what would happen if things got messy.

Well, okay. Yeah, I would. This is damn good so far - it's a bit like having the show itself back.
Jayiin Mistaya chapter 5 . 8/26/2007
Slavers. And Zoe caring for a small child; you might be moving in a different direction than I thought, but a good one none the less.

Too bad the slavers don't realize who they've captured - or who's following them.