Reviews for The Better Man
Dalou28 chapter 1 . 6/2/2007
Salut Laume,

Interesting this other story ! I love the three women who helped Severus but I don't understand Dumbledore ! -_-

Thank you. I hope to read you soon...

Severussement vĂ´tre, Dalou28
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 6/2/2007
I hope you continue this-after all, if no one had overheard the Prophecy, perhaps Voldemort wouldn't have gone after the Potters-the Potter may not have gone into hiding after Snape's warning, and may have been vulnerable anyway, even without Pettigrew to betray them.

And Dumbledore wouldn't have had a spy in Voldemort's camp. Without Snivvy to beat up on, James and Sirius would have spent more time ragging on Peter, for lack of any other target, and been betrayed anyway.

voldemort might have won the first war and be as handsome as he was before an AK backfired on him, too. Harry Potter might have grown up an orphan with the Dursleys, and received a letter for Hogwarts-from Headmaster Pettigrew.

Do please continue this...
whitehound chapter 1 . 6/2/2007
Well, it's well-written, but decidedly non-canon, since the idea that Dumbledore ever favoured the Marauders over Snape is almost pure fanon, and it's also clear in the books that Snape was one of Slughorn's pet students. Indeed, he was probably in the Slug Club even in first year, since that seems the most likely way he could have become friends with students like Lucius and Bellatrix who were so very much older than him. And of all the people who comment on Snape at the end of HBP, Sluggy is the *only* one who speaks of his personal belief in Snape, rather than "Albus trusted him and I trusted Albus".

As for Albus himself, he appears to have been quite fond of James - but not enough to have been especially upset by his death, and he actually tells Harry in first year that James was to Snape as Draco is to Harry. The only time we see him interact with Remus Remus is very uncomfortable and wants to get away, and he stiffs Remus with a cursed position which has left the last two incumbents dead or permanently brain-damaged, rather than endanger Snape.

As for Sirius, Albus cuts him out of all decisions to do with his godson and makes choices regarding both Harry and Sirius's own house behind Sirius's back; he regards him as reckless and unreliable; and he thinks so little of him he can hardly find a good word to say about him, even when the man is less than an hour dead and Harry is grieving.

On the other hand he speaks of Snape with constant if sometimes irritated kindness and affection, and he repeatedly refers to Snape's decision to leave Voldemort and work for the Order as Snape having "returned" to him, showing that he had seen Snape as a likely Order recruit from the first.

A very good case could be made for saying that Severus was always his favourite, and the reason he has any sort of soft spot for James is because James saved Severus for him. And in the end, he gave his life rather than let Severus die for him.

And that was certainly the reason, not to save Harry, because it seems clear that when he says "Severus, please..." he is reminding Snape of an arrangement they had already made - and at the time they made it he couldn't have known Harry would get mixed up in the final confrontation. So the arrangement has to have been "If we can't find another way out of it, you'll have to kill me - I won't let you sacrifice yourself."
TEC chapter 1 . 6/2/2007
This was great. I loved how Minerva, Irma and Poppy took care of him. I hope you're writing a bit more since I'd love to see how new Severus has turned out. Perhaps a visit with his Hogwart's protectors would be pleasant. Loved the story.
IvyLady chapter 1 . 6/2/2007
I liked this a lot. I consider anything good when it gets me so mad that I'm frowning at my computer screen, and I was. Albus needed to pull his head out of his ass and realize what was going on. Fortunately, McGonagall, Pomfrey and Pince knew and tried to mitigate the circumstances. I get the feeling the Headmaster's favoritism is going to come back and bite him in the ass and I can't wait.
parseltonge girl chapter 1 . 6/2/2007
dude i totally HATE dumbledore i never cry when i read and i almost cried for snape couse of the IDIOT dumbledore
MIEDE chapter 1 . 6/2/2007
Amazing. Perhaps you should have Evil!Dumbledore in the warnings... Poor Severus.
Shdwcat27 chapter 1 . 6/2/2007
That was heartbreaking. Albus needs a asskicking.
2,228 | « Prev Page 1 .. 139 146 147 148 149