Reviews for Promises
anon chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
Good coda. I know it's been done to death but quite honestly most of them suck. So many have Dean waltzing off to hell without a care in the world and Sam just crying like a girl and letting him go. It's like they have no clue about 3 dimensional character development. Just because you don't regret a decision, doesn't mean it can't still scare the crap out of you. Most of us would give a kidney to a family member without a second thought, doesn't mean the surgery and possible complications in our future wouldn't scare us to death. People's choices and emotions aren't that black and white. As days tick down, fear of hell will surface, grief over all the things he missed, regret at not appreciating his life and worth before, all that can happen even knowing he would've done the same thing. And let's face it, this is Hell people. No one wants to go there, that's why it's called Hell. And they made a point with Sam's promise to show such a look of utter determination that you know he will do ANYTHING. This isn't the youthful denial he was in in Faith. This Sam is older, darker, has secrets of his own, and finally gets a lot of things he didn't before about family, unselfishness, and sacrifice. He meant ANYTHING. You got that here. And you're right, we still haven't gotten the full hug damn it!
Rhesa chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
That was wonderful. Your take on the boys relationship here was just perfect. I would love to see that scene on the show. And its good to see you back, I've missed your prolificness(is that even a word). I always look forward to reading your stuff. Hope you have another fic up soon.
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
First I must say thanks for that wonderful image! *drools*

He was soaking wet, a towel gathered haphazardly round his waist, his hair plastered against his skull.

“Just be grateful I grabbed a towel.” he said wryly and was rewarded with a look of horror on Dean's face.

Dean may have been relieved that he remembered the towel, but I wouldn't have minded in the least if he'd forgotten! *giggles*

Oh yes, back to the review, if I'm coherent enough!

That was one of the best tags to AHLL that I have read, so believable and the dialogue was so accurate it was incredible! With the horror of Sam dying Dean would be panicking waking up with no Sam in sight, wondering if he'd dreamt it all, and you got his emotions and words spot on. And Sam's reaction too was so accurate, realising what Dean would have thought on waking after the drama of the past few days!

Sam admitting to Dean that he was not okay was just so right, he only has a year left with Dean if they can't figure a way out of it and the fact that Dean instantly realised and was more touchy feely than usual was so believable given the emotions they were experiencing! And Sam returning the hug Dean gave him after he came back to life was just amazing, although after a few seconds Dean was back to being Dean and pulling away, with a typical girly remark to Sam!

The vacation idea too was spot on with both brothers needing a couple of days just to be with each other, relaxed in each others company without the distraction of a hunt!

He was still worried about what was to come, about the danger Dean faced, but he was filled with another feeling. A feeling of hope. Because when it came down to it, they'd beaten the odds before. Time and again they'd faced death and destruction and made it through – together.

And they'd do it again.

There wasn't a force, on this earth or beyond, that could tear them apart. And Sam intended to prove that.

It was a promise. And everyone knew – a Winchester never broke a promise.

That ending was just awesome, the whole piece was so well written, true to character and totally believable, as I've said before you should be writing for SN girl!

Loved every single word so glad you found the time to write this!
Anna chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
Loved it! And I am so glad that you had the brothers really hug and not the one-sided ones we got from Kripke. It'd be nice if Sam did hug Dean but somehow I don't see it happening. And I really liked how you pretty much kept the guys in character and the banter at the end was priceless.
Cbloom chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
I absolutely loved this!

I'm sure we'll not see anything like thisat the start of Season 3, but it would be a perfect start - I mean after everything that happened they can't just jump straight back into it without some sort of talk or something!

Do I know what I mean - yes! Can I put it into words - no!

Anyway I loved this!
joeysgirl4eva chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
Aww, hon. I loved this. Very sweet. :) I especially liked the part where Sam called Dean on: "Don't you 'Sam' me, Dean". He does that a lot when he doesn't want to talk about serious stuff, huh? One of his stalling tactics. And I really enjoyed the image of Sam kicking Satan's ass just as much as Dean. hee hee

love, joey
Arinia chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
Beautiful. Enough chick-flick for a sap like me and enough humour for the type of mood I'm in now. Good job, a real treat to read.
americanbeauty252 chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
great story! as far as i'm concerned, there can never be too many tags to AHBL...they were such good episodes
anybody-out-there chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
This was great -good job! Think you show a great insight in how the brothers feel, and how they handle the situation. And how you switch their little talk between lightness and angst -well done.

And when it comes to not being able to wait for original-air-dates, I know exactly what you mean. The season finale isn't aired here until next week, and yet... They say patient's a virtue, well definitely a virtue I do not posses. Think I've seen half of this last season on the internet. GB the internet:D
limonade chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
Okay, so, I just woke up, and I checked my email after breakfast, and I almost jumped out of my seat when I saw you posted a new story! I could go on and on about how much I adore you and your writing, and so I did. :)

I think it makes sense that Dean would wake up in a panic and still have the fear that Sam's gone, even afterward. It's not something he would get over quickly, if at all. And when Dean first saw Sam, his reaction was perfect- relieved and speechless.

- “Just be grateful I grabbed a towel.”

My gratitude feels more like disappointment :P But it's so typical of a Winchester to lighten any heavily emotional conversation with teasing or a joke! Very in-character.

It's great that you acknowledged that Dean is scared. I mean, eternity in hell? Is pretty scary, even for a Winchester. And while Dean doesn't regret it and wouldn't un-do it if given the chance, he's still afraid- but not only of hell, also of leaving his brother alone in the world after 12 months. And Sam's guilt over Dean's sacrifice for him shows that he is also afraid of "a future without his big brother". Their worst fear isn't hell, it's being separated, and that's just so Winchester-ish! I LOVE how you portrayed that, it was spot on.

It really is a "quintessential Catch 22 situation"... I can't quite see a way for them to win, but at the same time I'm really pretty sure that they'll find a way to save each other in the end. Or at least, I hope that they will!

OMG THE *HUG*! In the beginning, I swear I was thinking "Oh, Sam should have given him a hug here!" And then he DID and it made everything completely right. You conveyed the strong emotions without making it an overly-mushy moment, so GREAT job on the hug scene.

- "putting his arms round Sam and holding him tightly"

Maybe it's just my tendency to read too deeply into things, but I feel like when Dean holds on to Sam, he's not just physically holding on. Sam is all Dean has left and he can't let him go so he's holding on tightly and the hug is a manifestation of that need. The same goes for Sam. Um... I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense, but yeah, that's what I thought of when I read that line. Symbolic hugging!

- "He really wished everything they fought would stop throwing him into things. He was starting to feel like a rubber ball."

Aw, poor Dean! He's so abused. This is going to sound crazy, but when I read this I though of that childhood rhyme, the one that goes: "I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you".

Those boys really need some vacation time with each other, like some brother-bonding-time. I mean, one of them died, and the other sold his soul. They definitely deserve a break!

Ohh, and then you avoid a chick-flick moment again at the end with some playful banter! Can I just say that I LOVE the fact that Sam kept the pillow instead of throwing it back? I don't know why I love that part so much, but it has "Sam" written all over it and it's very clever of you.

I love hopeful endings! Yay! Those boys need some hope. The last 5 lines or so just took my breath away...

- Especially this line: "There wasn't a force, on this earth or beyond, that could tear them apart."

That is so true... they'd do anything for each other, even "kick Satan's ass" (*giggles*). But to me, that line perfectly sums up their undying devotion and loyalty to each other.

I'm so happy to see another fic from you! This really made my morning... or technically, my afternoon, I slept in today :) But still! I love this take on what would happen in the aftermath of AHBL. The dialogue fit so well, you could probably help write the show.

I really loved the finale, both parts of it. The acting was phenomenal- Jensen did an amazing job as a grieving Dean, and Jared at the end in the graveyard was just incredible. And the end was just downright brilliant- not quite a cliffhanger like last season (which was cruel!), but it still left us with questions. I'm really glad that we can look forward to more of their acting in Season 3. The whole cast and crew of SPN deserves major props for pulling this off! I have so much respect for them. It's impossible for me to choose a favorite scene from AHBL because I just loved the entire thing, and that's also how I feel about this fic.

I could have probably said all that more concisely and just have written "I love this story and I worship you"... but since I couldn't restrain myself from writing more, I hope you don't mind another long-winded review from me :)

-Allie
twasadark chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
Aw! We got another hug, sweet and genuine. Nice job!
Anon chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
That was awesome- I love your work :)
Queenofthehours chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
Aww... this is adorable! I really wanted more at the end of the finale, especially since the moment we'd all been waiting for - The Hug, was ruined by Sam's back. But now you've set it right! Very well written, not too mushy. x
Brigid Tanner chapter 1 . 6/3/2007
Well written, in character and a sweet story. They boys definitely deserve a vacation : )
29 | « Prev Page 1 2