Reviews for Swim
Trinitas chapter 1 . 1/21/2011
I don't read this one as often as "Counterpoint" or "Seven Times", because there's too much heartache. But the retrospective into the relationship makes it a poignant pain.

First, I love the drowning/swimming metaphor. (It's always been my belief that Chase used to swim, growing up so close to such gorgeous ocean, and he has a personality that makes me think of water: deep, still pools and strong, hidden currents.) It frames the piece perfectly, and the breath of hope at the end, Chase's realization that he trusts not only House but himself, is perfect. (Also, well done returning to the "Damned if You Do" Bible passage: I've always thought that 'faith versus fear' exchange was a critical lens into the character.)

House's brand of tough love leaves Chase floundering, but in the end, you say it perfectly: that Chase has grown as a human being as well as as a doctor. (I especially liked that one moment when Chase noted that House's voice and Rowan's had become conflated: he never assigns the word 'father,' but it's very present in its absence.) And it's clear that despite the sharp kick out of the nest, House is the only one who'd never leave Chase to crash (unlike both biological parents and Cameron). And iIt's completely appropriate for Chase to realize that of course he needed to be pushed-that otherwise, he would have stayed in a position he'd outgrown. That it's only at the point of that realization that he allows himself to think the word 'love.'

Oh, and the 'feeling of entitlement to closure' section was wonderful: first for the wry observation on America's entitlement complex (so true!) but also because Chase has learned that closure can come from within.

The "You're fired" moment was the ultimate signal that their relationship had matured: the father/son implications are still there, but House is no longer in an active role as guardian; the power balance between them is much more equal. And that's as it should be in a healthy parent/child relationship (which, tragically, Chase initially fails to recognize because House has been the most stable of his parents).

This truly is a wonderful piece. Thank you so much for writing it.
ForeverRainingFire chapter 1 . 12/27/2010
Great story! I enjoyed reading it!
Flywoman Returns chapter 1 . 7/6/2010
Ah, that's great. I do love your take on Chase and his complicated quasi-filial hero-worship of House. This entire piece was true and painful and insightful and funny, but my favorite line has to be, "you've been in this country so long you've adopted the American sense of entitlement to closure on all emotional issues, the same way they feel entitled to cheap petrol and world domination."
mayfever chapter 1 . 7/27/2009
This is absolutely brilliant - one of the best stories that I've read so far on here. I love the way you persist with the swimming theme, it's a really well-thought-out frame for the narrative and your portray of Chase's character is very believable. This is real literature!
girlfan1979 chapter 1 . 9/27/2008
I thought this was very nicely done.
llivla chapter 1 . 11/12/2007
Oh my gosh, I love Chase, he's so...people underestimate him, and he ends up knowing more about him than they'd ever think until it's too late, and he's got their heart in his hands and I think that -scared- House more than anything just wrote an excellent tribute to him and I loved it. It was a refreshing look into his head and you had that first, numb, shocked night perfected. *favorites*
tomoya-542002 chapter 1 . 10/5/2007
*claps* loved it!
Localgirl chapter 1 . 9/25/2007
I really loved reading this. I think the writing is brilliant and this also my favourite coupling. You did a great job!
ElvenDestiny chapter 1 . 8/17/2007
I actually haven't read your story yet because I haven't seen much of Season 3 (long story here) but I skimmed, and I can tell it has some great writing. So, I've added it to the Chase/Cam C2 archive but if you have any objections, let me know! Kudos to you and hope you continue to bolster to ChaseCam fandom!

- ElveNDestiNy
Ori chapter 1 . 6/29/2007
Oh this is so good. I like the poeticness of it all. I like your style and of course, I like the coupling.

Adding this to my fav. list.
Izzbella91 chapter 1 . 6/21/2007
Wonderful fic. I love Chase and I think that the way that you protrayed him was very true to character and very interesting. It did not feel like you were just repeating the episode, like some do, but going in depth into the thoughts and Chase's storyline that episode. Also, a very intriguing look at Chase's character. I was so mad at House- firing Chase! I was just starting to really like him, too, standing up to House. But, yeah. Great job!
PiperPaigePhoebe01 chapter 1 . 6/11/2007
Wow. This is the one of the best House fics I've read. The grammar is perfect, the way it is written in second person brings a welcome change, and the characterization is absolutely perfect. Chase's voice perfectly comes through, and it has a beginning, middle, and end, perfect for this type of story. I loved it, and I hope to find more from you soon!
Ephemera2 chapter 1 . 6/6/2007
This is a beautiful and moving story. I have read many post-finale fics, but I thought this one was absolutely spot-on in capturing the vast range of emotions suffered by Chase on that terrible, wonderful Monday.
andrey gray chapter 1 . 6/5/2007
Ivy3 chapter 1 . 6/5/2007
I loved it, especially comparing House to Rowan in Chase's mind "and why has House’s voice taken on a slightly Czech accent in your mind?" Brilliant analysis of Chase's feelings during the episode.